Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Need help in identifying this Jeep? EDIT : It's a CL & MM Hybrid

Pals,

One of my friend (who has very minimal knowledge about cars) has acquired a Jeep (in running condition) from a person (who claims it to be a Willys) who owed money to him. I have not yet got a chance to see the vehicle as it is in Coorg right now. However, there is a picture of the jeep that my friend has sent me. From the looks of the bonnet and the fenders, I feel it's a MM-540/550. However, when I see the side body panel, I contradict my own thoughts.

It is known that this jeep is fitted with a Peugeot engine and is in good running condition. Here is a picture that my friend has sent me.

Need help in identifying this Jeep? EDIT : It's a CL & MM Hybrid-img03274201206201407.jpg

I have asked him to take some more pictures of under-the-hood and under the chassis which he has promised, he will.

It would be of great help if anyone could help identifying what Jeep this is or (if it is difficult to identify in just one pic) throw some pointers on what could be possible unique identifiers.

PS: I too have very little knowledge about Jeeps and hence have posted it here. Please excuse my dumbness on Jeeps

Mods please merge with an existing thread if this new thread is uncalled for.

Thanks in Advance,
Old 28th June 2012, 11:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Need help in identifying this Jeep

From the pic, it is CJ500(chassis + tub + firewall +windshield) with MM540 bonnet, grill and fender. It is definately not WILLYS. what is the year of make?
star_aqua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
From the pic, it is CJ500(chassis + tub + firewall +windshield) with MM540 bonnet, grill and fender. It is definately not WILLYS. what is the year of make?
Thanks for the quick reply star_aqua. My friend has not yet got hold of the papers. The owner offered him this Jeep instead of the 2 Lakhs he owed. My friend readily accepted the offer. The owner has promised to search (yes, SEARCH!! He definitely has to get a life!!) for the papers and provide them within 2 weeks time.

Further, my friend is also looking to restore this Jeep into its original condition (ofcourse, once he gets to know what model it is!); Credit of Inspiration - yours truly,
Old 28th June 2012, 13:15   #4
BHPian

I do not think that it is a MM540/550. Though the bonnet/grille is of MM540/550 the way it is fixed towards the windshield shows that it is a modification. It is not flush with the panel. Secondly from the length also i feel it is shorter than the 540.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Driving Nomad - this one seems to be a hybrid between a CL and an MM. Almost everything is non-standard and it does not have any value proposition whatsoever.

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 13:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Thanks for the quick reply star_aqua. My friend has not yet got hold of the papers. The owner offered him this Jeep instead of the 2 Lakhs he owed. My friend readily accepted the offer. The owner has promised to search (yes, SEARCH!! He definitely has to get a life!!) for the papers and provide them within 2 weeks time.

Further, my friend is also looking to restore this Jeep into its original condition (ofcourse, once he gets to know what model it is!); Credit of Inspiration - yours truly,

I am sorry to say that this jeep is not worth 2 lakhs, This looks like a Jugaad job! The body is from a CJ 500. The front grill, bonnet, side mudguards are of the 540. Even the windshield is of CJ 500! The air vent of the CJ 500 still exists behind the mudguards. the 540 never had those. The only thing that does justice to this vehicle are the wheels and the rubber.

Not a good bargain in my opinion.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is worth settling against the 2L dues.

Quote:
... The owner has promised to search (yes, SEARCH!! He definitely has to get a life!!) for the papers and provide them within 2 weeks time...
Hope this promise is kept.
This is something that I would be very wary of. If the papers do exist, I am sure they would be available readily with the owner, and he wouldnt have to " promise to search" for it.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 15:23   #8
BHPian

Re: Need help in identifying this Jeep? EDIT : It's a CL & MM Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
I do not think that it is a MM540/550. Though the bonnet/grille is of MM540/550 the way it is fixed towards the windshield shows that it is a modification. It is not flush with the panel. Secondly from the length also i feel it is shorter than the 540.
These were exactly my thoughts when I saw the pic. I am however, not sure about the length or the Wheelbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Driving Nomad - this one seems to be a hybrid between a CL and an MM. Almost everything is non-standard and it does not have any value proposition whatsoever.

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
Thank you Mr.Behram Dhabhar. My next question is, how difficult will it be to bring it back to its original shape (from the Body stand-point)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Not sure if this is worth settling against the 2L dues.

Hope this promise is kept.
This is something that I would be very wary of. If the papers do exist, I am sure they would be available readily with the owner, and he wouldnt have to " promise to search" for it.
Got an update from my friend that the person has given the papers. The papers say that it's a 1977 CJ 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
I am sorry to say that this jeep is not worth 2 lakhs, This looks like a Jugaad job! The body is from a CJ 500. The front grill, bonnet, side mudguards are of the 540. Even the windshield is of CJ 500! The air vent of the CJ 500 still exists behind the mudguards. the 540 never had those. The only thing that does justice to this vehicle are the wheels and the rubber.

Not a good bargain in my opinion.
Thanks for the analysis. I also feel that it isn't a good bargain and have told him the same.
Driving_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 15:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Mr.Behram Dhabhar. My next question is, how difficult will it be to bring it back to its original shape (from the Body stand-point)?
Dear Driving Nomad - not worth attempting, you will never realize any value.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th June 2012, 16:00   #10
BHPian

Won't searching the vehicle details in RTO website help? Kerala RTO has a portal which enables you to find details about the vehicle (in Kerala) by registration number/chassis number(both available to you). Surely other RTO's have the same. It lets you know the make, year of manufacturer, current owner, etc etc.

Last edited by nair : 28th June 2012 at 16:03.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Driving Nomad - not worth attempting, you will never realize any value.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr.Behram,

Thanks for your honest opinion. Initially, I had told him that he could get the original bonnet, grill and fenders fitted. He is not inclined towards off-roading and hence converting to a 4x4 was not required. Further in our plan was to get a nice bull-bar (like the one on GTOs) and a better anti-roll bar in place. Do you think it's not worth doing even that much (Considering that he will not sell the Jeep)? The engine and other mechanicals have been serviced and restored about an year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Won't searching the vehicle details in RTO website help? Kerala RTO has a portal which enables you to find details about the vehicle (in Kerala) by registration number/chassis number(both available to you). Surely other RTO's have the same. It lets you know the make, year of manufacturer, current owner, etc etc.
Thanks. Will do.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr.Behram, Thanks for your honest opinion. Initially, I had told him that he could get the original bonnet, grill and fenders fitted. He is not inclined towards off-roading and hence converting to a 4x4 was not required. Further in our plan was to get a nice bull-bar (like the one on GTOs) and a better anti-roll bar in place. Do you think it's not worth doing even that much (Considering that he will not sell the Jeep)? The engine and other mechanicals have been serviced and restored about an year ago. Thanks. Will do.
Dear Driving Nomad - No please. A Jeep should be bought only if it is a Jeep. This thingy is not a Jeep. It is an amalgamation of parts put together to resemble a Jeep. I can rattle of scores of things I have seen only in one photograph. You can imagine the can of worms which can open if you post all details. Such contraptions can be seen a dime a dozen, driven all across the country. This makes no sense.

I have visited places where such vehicles are built, obviously incognito, with a blank expression on my face. Taking me for a sucker, the tall claims I have heard from these guys still makes me LOL. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 28th June 2012 at 17:06. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 17:18   #13
BHPian

Thanks once again sir.

Mods: Please close this thread as I have got the information that I needed.

Last edited by Driving_Nomad : 28th June 2012 at 17:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks