Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 15:36   #1
BHPian

Land Rover Discovery 200 2.5L TDI (1992) 5 Door

Hi Guys,

I have chanced upon a Land Rover Discovery 200 TDI, which is in a fairly good condition. The best thing is that it is in original condition with all its parts intact. It is a runner and the person I spoke to claims that the engine is in pretty good nick. It sounded quite good, though I did not get to drive the vehicle.

Questions:
a) What should be a fair price for 1992 Discovery. The Odometer shows 1,36,200 Kms.
b) What are the parts to check in these models before landing up with a lemon?
c) Would appreciate if any one would like to share their experience with this model. Especially with regard to off-road abilities, cost of maintenance, availability of spare parts and reliability.

I do realize that many of the answers are difficult to give without seeing the vehicle, especially the fair price. But, any advise from fellow team-bhpians will help me in making a more informed decision.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh Nagra
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery 200 2.5L TDI (1992) 5 Door-land-rover-discovery-2.5-tdi-5d.jpg  

Old 7th July 2012, 16:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 200 2.5L TDI (1992) 5 Door

Is it a blue color one from Chandigarh please stay away from it. Its been messed around pretty badly. The mechanic who was working on it was like i know everything but in reality knows nothing
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 21:51   #3
BANNED

There is a white colored one near Patiala.There is a problem with its engine which the owner has not been able to rectify.He even got some parts from Nepal,but to no avail.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Is it a blue color one from Chandigarh please stay away from it. Its been messed around pretty badly. The mechanic who was working on it was like i know everything but in reality knows nothing
Thanks Manikjeet.

You are spot on with regard to the vehicle. On closer scrutiny , I totally agree with your assessment of the vehicle and the mechanic. Though structurally the vehicle looks fairly good, its the mechanicals that are suspect. Moreover the electrical wiring too seems to have been played around with. I am not pursuing this any further.

Apparently this Landrover belonged to Late Harcharan Singh Brar, the former CM of Punjab.
Old 9th July 2012, 11:08   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Though structurally the vehicle looks fairly good, its the mechanicals that are suspect. Moreover the electrical wiring too seems to have been played around with. I am not pursuing this any further.
It is a good decision Jaskirat.

I too, was offered an Disco-2 which was in ship shape and owned by the Canadian consulate at B'lore done around 100,000kms. However, upon reading about the Disco and talking to people, I came to know that the Disco-2 is was never a very reliable vehicle and good enough to be used as a primary car at home.
After pondering about it for about 2 months, I gave up the thought.

It is not a wise decision to purchase an white elephant, and purchasing an old white elephant, NEVER.

You could probably look at imported Lexuses. I see quite a few of them at Bangalore and they are easily serviced at the Toyota service stations here.
Old 9th July 2012, 15:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Thanks Manikjeet.

You are spot on with regard to the vehicle. On closer scrutiny , I totally agree with your assessment of the vehicle and the mechanic. Though structurally the vehicle looks fairly good, its the mechanicals that are suspect. Moreover the electrical wiring too seems to have been played around with. I am not pursuing this any further.

Apparently this Landrover belonged to Late Harcharan Singh Brar, the former CM of Punjab.
Glad to help you
i know it because i was offered the same and when i checked it i was like. by the way how much was it offered to you.For me it was 65k neg. and even the papers are no good.
Talk around with his employes and you will know the real history.
Cars come to his place and then stay forever.
See the GTO biturbo or the W124

A SE 380 With a V8 came for tunning and left with a nissan diesel (very small for the car)

I got a 190 E 2.6 I 6 auto from him for 60k and have spend around 2 lac + for undoing what he has done to it

Last edited by manikjeet : 9th July 2012 at 15:52.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:26   #7
BHPian

A land rover with wiring that is suspect? Don't touch it with a 20ft pole.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks