Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 15:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Sound deadening for old-school Jeeps

One of my vehicles, in fact the one in which I cover the most annual mileage, is a 1995 model 750 DP Commander open body jeep.When I first bought it in 2004 it was noisy. I used it as bought till 2009 due to necessity and then decided to rebuild it completly. I removed the body from the chassis and after all the necessary tinkering/patching etc was completed , painted the complete underside of the body with 3 coats of Rubberseal. The chassis was also coated 4 times with the same.I replaced all the body mounting rubbers with appropiate sized pieces cut from conveyor belting which is rubber interlayered with canvas in place the original plain rubber mountings. All the bolts were also replaced with TVS HSS bolts and nylock nuts.
The inner floor pan and firewall were rubbersealed and I have used the same conveyor belting to make mats for the floor. I have made the mats in smaller sizes so as to make it easy to install and remove for cleaning and drying if it has been raining.As it is a canvas top vehicle and not too waterproof I have seperate carpets which we use only in dry weather. if it seems like rain I remove the carpets and use it only with the rubber mats.While all this has not made exactly a silent vehicle the interior noise levels are reduced by over 60%. Please feel free to contact me for any further details if required
Collector is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks