Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 19:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Yes I got it from Rogeotech, I guess it is custom made frame as there is no stock seat which can fit between the 2 wheel arches in 34" space.

About the brakes, When I push the brake the paddle travels half distance with absolutely no brake then shows some resistance to moving vehicle but that is not guaranteed as well. If somehow vehicles stops and If I keep the brake paddle pressed the paddle sinks more till bottom.

If I pump brake paddle 2/3 times before actually applying the brakes or keep brake paddle in use, (push and release 2/3 times just to ensure that it will operate when needed) it works better compare to urgent braking.

Any non technical guy can say that, required vacuum is not building up for braking or there is leakage somewhere in brake pipes, I observed vehicle on ramp and there no damage or anything wrong with braking system.

Thanks,
Vishal
No break system, even in a well maintaned fifty year old car behaves like this. Your brakes exhibit the following classical symptoms :
. Air/water in the break line - that is why the pedal feels spongy
. Pedal is not properly adjusted, hence pedal travels half way before engaging
. The break oil is slowly leaking, hence your pedal is slowly travelling down under pressure.

Please monitor the break oil reservoir, if there is a leak (visible or not) the oil will be slowly depleted leading to frequent top up. Leaks may also be responsible for air/water in the lines.

Even if oil is not leaking bleed the air out of the lines

These symptoms should not be there in a relatively new vehicle, but rough usage and/or loose joints can happen in new vehicles also.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 20:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the brakes, When I push the brake the paddle travels half distance with absolutely no brake then shows some resistance to moving vehicle but that is not guaranteed as well. If somehow vehicles stops and If I keep the brake paddle pressed the paddle sinks more till bottom.

If I pump brake paddle 2/3 times before actually applying the brakes or keep brake paddle in use, (push and release 2/3 times just to ensure that it will operate when needed) it works better compare to urgent braking.

Any non technical guy can say that, required vacuum is not building up for braking or there is leakage somewhere in brake pipes, I observed vehicle on ramp and there no damage or anything wrong with braking system.
When did this start happening? Its not like this from day 1 correct?

Don't risk life and limb by waiting. Go to another ASC and have it looked at. If that doesn't work, take it to an outside shop and have them diagnose it. After they find the issue, go to the ASC and tell them to check & change that specific part.

BTW, its brake pedal, not break paddle : )

Last edited by Mpower : 11th October 2013 at 22:23.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 21:04   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
===So, a question: is it possible to file a class action suit, a national sueing of M&M for example, for failure to honor its warranties, failure to provide parts, failure to fix known production line problems....

In other words, can we sue Mahindra directly for poor service/no service and no parts? Can many dissatisfied customers join such a suit and can such a suit be made known to the national media?
Sir no legal action is worth taking for a layman, the cure/medicine works worst than the original illness.

Hell nothing works on merits there with our legal system.. long ago I said goodbye to it, when I saw how it actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Unfortunately, it seems they mean that you may not 'Get old' and be 'freed form this worlds's grind' when you use Thar's brake in any emergency.
That is wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
No break system, even in a well maintained fifty year old car behaves like this. ===.
Sir the system in itself is fine, nothing wrong with the parts & their functioning, Its the standard functioning of the system that is felt inadequate by many younger owners.

I could make do with that, but not everyone can, nor he be forced to " Adjust ".

These brakes are considered poor by modern driving standards, I mean when someone compares the experience with modern vehicles produced, it stands grossly inadequate.

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 22:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

are customers forced into some customer complaint bureaucracy or some small claims litigation?

In other words, can we sue Mahindra directly for poor service/no service and no parts? Can many dissatisfied customers join such a suit and can such a suit be made known to the national media?
Appreciate your support! I am going to work hard on it and not going to let it go easily. So any way will work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Unfortunately, it seems they mean that you may not 'Get old' and be 'freed form this worlds's grind' when you use Thar's brake in any emergency.

Deep in my heart, i want to buy one too but my brain always overpowers the heart. I will buy one if the issues with brakes are sorted.
Lol!
True, there are lots of people who are still waiting for a complete vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
These symptoms should not be there in a relatively new vehicle, but rough usage and/or loose joints can happen in new vehicles also.
Sir, vehicle is well maintained and I observe brake oil everyday. I have checked under body couple of times to any damage to brake lines but nothing wrong there. The culprit is brake booster I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
When did this start happening? Its not like this from day 1 correct?

Don't risk life and limb by waiting. Go to another ASC and have it looked at. If that doesn't work, take it to an outside shop and have them diagnose it. After they find the issue, go to the ASC and tell them to check & change that specific part.

BTW, its brake pedal.
It is there from 1st day however instead of going with others experience decided to give it a try for some kms and then complain. Its 10500 km now but I still feel nervous while applying brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Sir the system in itself is fine, nothing wrong with the parts & their functioning, Its the standard functioning of the system that is felt inadequate by many younger owners.
I could make do with that, but not everyone can, nor he be forced to " Adjust ".

These brakes are considered poor by modern driving standards, I mean when someone compares the experience with modern vehicles produced, it stands grossly inadequate.

Sudarshan
Raju bhai,

Inadequate is not for younger owners or for modern driving style but for daily driving and modern traffic we can say. I have to run 30 kms daily in bumper to bumper traffic. You are observing me from 1st day and I have never complain about it but now its 10000 km and still I am not getting adjust to it so there is something wrong right?

If these brakes are adequate for bumper to bumper traffic, above 60 km/hrs then when should I use them.

Updates:

Got a call from Mahindra and Mahindra person on 5.50 PM today, he is Amit Kumar, CCM for ASCs in Pune. I have discussed this issue with him earlier as well however this time he insisted to see the vehicle in person and have assured to provide solution to the issue. I am hoping for the best result however still feel like they are just executing documented process and nothing else (from my past experience).

TBHP and social platform rocks !

Will keep you all updated.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:05   #80
BHPian

Updates: 28th Oct 2013.

As suggested by M&M CCM Mr. Amit Kumar we went for long drive in my Thar and he got the weak brake and sinking paddle issue after 10 km or so driving.

He talked with ASC guys ordered some parts related to brake and arranged the appointment on last Friday. They worked on brake for free of cost and the good news is the sinking paddle issue is no more. Now I can stop the vehicle confidently.

The only issue I have now is paddle feels spongy on first push and feels hard on subsequent pushes, I have reported that to Amit Kumar and he suggested to observe/use vehicle for sometime and give feedback as company is working on this issue.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 28th October 2013, 14:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Updates: 28th Oct 2013.

As suggested by M&M CCM Mr. Amit Kumar we went for long drive in my Thar and he got the weak brake and sinking paddle issue after 10 km or so driving.

He talked with ASC guys ordered some parts related to brake and arranged the appointment on last Friday. They worked on brake for free of cost and the good news is the sinking paddle issue is no more. Now I can stop the vehicle confidently.

The only issue I have now is paddle feels spongy on first push and feels hard on subsequent pushes, I have reported that to Amit Kumar and he suggested to observe/use vehicle for sometime and give feedback as company is working on this issue.

Thanks,
Vishal
Good to see this update... :-)

What was the primary reason for issue? Any idea Which components were replaced ? Did he have any comments on booster upgrade ?

Drive safe!
Old 28th October 2013, 14:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Great at least team Mahindra has taken a few small steps in the customer forst direction.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:00   #83
BHPian

Quote:
They worked on brake for free of cost and the good news is the sinking paddle issue is no more. Now I can stop the vehicle confidently.
Ditto here, I'm getting a booster replacement done as well. The sinking pedal syndrome just refused to go away even after repeated bleeding of brakes by the ASC.

Hopefully, it should be sorted this time else I'm going to be in trouble with no warranty left on the jeep.
Old 28th October 2013, 15:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Ditto here, I'm getting a booster replacement done as well. The sinking pedal syndrome just refused to go away even after repeated bleeding of brakes by the ASC.

Hopefully, it should be sorted this time else I'm going to be in trouble with no warranty left on the jeep.
Cool

BTW What I learned from Mr. Amit Kumar is, if you have recorded any issue under warranty it will be resolved irrespective of your warranty period just make sure that it is recorded on job card and in ASC system.
Old 28th October 2013, 15:25   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Cool

BTW What I learned from Mr. Amit Kumar is, if you have recorded any issue under warranty it will be resolved irrespective of your warranty period just make sure that it is recorded on job card and in ASC system.
LOL, that way I'd have indefinite warranty on my Thar. M&M can actually publish a book based on the maintenance they've carried out on my vehicle until now.
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 18:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

Hi Vishal...hope your issue gets sorted out soon.
I'm a proud owner of a Thar for last 1 year and 10,000 km but do not share the same fate as you though have had such problems with many other corporates. What works best for me is a mass mail stating the issue to all the directors in the company and sure enough you'll get a reply. The email ids are easy to come by - go to the corporate website, get the first and second names of board of directors and 'create' the id - usually its a.b@<companydomain>.com
Though I'm not an advocate of spamming but then its my hard earned money someone is swindling me off (and I'm reasonably sure that I'm not in the wrong) - so 'whatever works'.
I hope your problem gets resolved without doing this though.
red herring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 22:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post
Hi Vishal...hope your issue gets sorted out soon.
I'm a proud owner of a Thar for last 1 year and 10,000 km but do not share the same fate as you though have had such problems with many other corporates. What works best for me is a mass mail stating the issue to all the directors in the company and sure enough you'll get a reply. The email ids are easy to come by - go to the corporate website, get the first and second names of board of directors and 'create' the id - usually its a.b@<companydomain>.com
Though I'm not an advocate of spamming but then its my hard earned money someone is swindling me off (and I'm reasonably sure that I'm not in the wrong) - so 'whatever works'.
I hope your problem gets resolved without doing this though.
You have nice idea there.

This time I used Thar FB page and TBHP to raise the issue and I got reply immediately. They are serious about this issue and working on it, lets see how it goes.

BTW You have Hyd HT on your Thar right? can you please post some pictures and your experience about it. Also don't forgot to ping me if you visit Pune any time, just wanted to see that HT in person.
Old 29th October 2013, 06:46   #88
BHPian

Quote:
You have nice idea there. This time I used Thar FB page and TBHP to raise the issue and I got reply immediately. They are serious about this issue and working on it, lets see how it goes.
My friends Thar is in the MASS as it is stalled repeatedly on Sunday.Dont know what has happened exactly,but this all has happened exactly after a week of the 5000km service.For which they took 3 full days .Very disappointed with this brand:(
Low Coolant level,engine oil leak,starter problem are the bigger problems we faced.And all this is within 2 months of purchase !
My friend loves his Thar but cannot help but compare it to the absolute trouble free experience his Fortuner has given him.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
You have nice idea there.

This time I used Thar FB page and TBHP to raise the issue and I got reply immediately. They are serious about this issue and working on it, lets see how it goes.

BTW You have Hyd HT on your Thar right? can you please post some pictures and your experience about it. Also don't forgot to ping me if you visit Pune any time, just wanted to see that HT in person.
This might be OT but since you asked posting the pictures here. Got the HHT and an external cage made from Prabhu.

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-20130823_082354001.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-20130823_082415.jpg

The HHT cuts down the cabin noise, and improves a/c effectiveness. No creaking so far even after a 6k km cross country trip through some very bad roads. The roll cage is for peace of mind but it also gives a bulkier stance to the Thar which I prefer over the stock version.

After talking to many people I've realised that not all Thars are bad even though there are some lemons in the lot. Unfortunately there is no way for the customer to figure out if what he is getting is a lemon or a peach. I just completed the Raid de Himalaya in my Thar and for the entire journey from Mumbai to Shimla to RDH and back to Delhi the only thing that gave way was a hand brake wire. So looks like I landed a peach and not a lemon. Btw, there were 4 Thars in the RDH this year and 3 of 4 finished the rally without much trouble - so all evidence to point out that the vehicle is reliable.
red herring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 22:57   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post
This might be OT but since you asked posting the pictures here. Got the HHT and an external cage made from Prabhu.

Attachment 1159832

Attachment 1159833

The HHT cuts down the cabin noise, and improves a/c effectiveness. No creaking so far even after a 6k km cross country trip through some very bad roads. The roll cage is for peace of mind but it also gives a bulkier stance to the Thar which I prefer over the stock version.

After talking to many people I've realised that not all Thars are bad even though there are some lemons in the lot. Unfortunately there is no way for the customer to figure out if what he is getting is a lemon or a peach. I just completed the Raid de Himalaya in my Thar and for the entire journey from Mumbai to Shimla to RDH and back to Delhi the only thing that gave way was a hand brake wire. So looks like I landed a peach and not a lemon. Btw, there were 4 Thars in the RDH this year and 3 of 4 finished the rally without much trouble - so all evidence to point out that the vehicle is reliable.
Perfect ! Thanks for pictures.
Is this short version or the other high one because can't really find out from the pictures? It will be nice if you share all side pictures.

True, Thar is reliable indeed. I am using for last 11 months and nothing failed or so. Its just brake issue if your are driving daily in bumper to bumper traffic.

Thanks,
Vishal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks