Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Introducing "Everest", my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Then and now

With such a massive lift, you should've gone for 40 inchers !!, vehicle looks great, however, the tyres look too small. Also you wont be able to turn at speeds over 7kmph for fear of toppling. :P
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:40   #32

Anything over 38" will require fender chops to accommodate the flex, and will also require wide spacers to avoid scrubbing the bump stop pucks, leading and trailing arms etc. I will not recommend more than 36" for a 6" lift. Beyond 36", one enters the world of custom fabrication of multi-link systems, that thankfully I am quite experienced with. Not only will I have to strip out the radius arms and build my own, I will need chromoly birfields with discs upgrade. And then all this is useless without a turbo-charger (or even two - I am designing something so we'll see how it goes). I will get to it when I plan the transformation into an expedition vehicle (yes - long term ambition). The picture does not do it justice, and once aligned I will post pics showing flex to help educate readers about tire sizing. At the end of the day, it isn't about show and tell, it is about intended application!

Believe me, this is not a tarmac queen. I am puzzled by owners who seldom take their 4x4 rigs offroad, but are content enough to just zip the tarmac. If one wanted to scorch the street, there are plenty of other options, no? Rather than spend a fortune to buy a truck (and another for gas) and yet keep the front differential ever disengaged?

To those who want to lift their rigs, here's advice. You are going to have to learn to drive your truck all over again. Your 4 wheeler is not going to behave the same way as it did before lifting because the entire geometry is now changed. The taller the lift (and taller tires included), the more pronounced is the body roll, and so recovery from turns needs to be gauged well in advance, you must brake a lot early and accelerate gradually. A lifted truck is not a speedster, but an off-road machine that needs to be treated with respect. And please, whatever you do, don't share your keys with anyone (personal experience with a Landrover Discovery in the ME)!

The most wrecks I have witnessed have been collisions with moving, movable or immovable objects on the far side if the road. Your rig CAN seriously hurt you and those around you should you lose your head. Only the most naive of drivers will actually end up toppling their rigs, but idiocy is a renewable resource within all of us, so stay away from the temptation to show off - especially at speeds.

Drive sensibly, responsibly and at ease. Take it out on the trail, and enjoy unpaved nature!
rockycrawler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 13:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrawler View Post

Drive sensibly, responsibly and at ease. Take it out on the trail, and enjoy unpaved nature!
Dear rockycrawler! What you've sone with your LC80, and your technical knowledge, is really commendable. I am an owner of LC80 as well, since 4.5 years now, residing in Delhi. In case you ever visit Delhi, please get in touch with me, over a cup of coffee and snacks, and shall be humbled to have you drive mine, and give your comments.

Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 11:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would also like to come to this meet and see the vehicle.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I would also like to come to this meet and see the vehicle.
Dear desertfox Sir, your bio says that you too have a Landcruiser. which model and where do you stay? I can meet you at a common ground.
Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 13:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi, Gurgaon. This is a diesel one with a sluggish 1KZTE Engine not what is required now the 1KD-FTV and no match to my ols 5VZFE petrol engines of 3400 cc V6.

Its an LC 90 Prado rather it is an RHD Diesel Asian market Colarado but badged as Prado, in Engalnd it is Colarado without the additional instrument panel.

Fix up a time we will meet.

The old and the new a whale of difference!

It was so different to drive the Petrol V 6 200 bhp LWB and modified SWB compared to this high in torque but sluggish 123 bhp Diesel!
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing "Everest", my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Then and now-mid_shahid.jpg  

Introducing "Everest", my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Then and now-20140616_105623.jpg  

Introducing "Everest", my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Then and now-pradoarea53.jpg  

Introducing "Everest", my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Then and now-moreeb.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp prado6.bmp (900.1 KB, 483 views)

Last edited by desertfox : 30th June 2014 at 14:19.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 14:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics of the Prados I used frequently. Off roading had almost become work then!
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing "Everest", my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Then and now-img_1176.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp prado6.bmp (441.1 KB, 433 views)
File Type: bmp prado5.bmp (441.1 KB, 404 views)
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 22:01   #38

To all the fans of this build up - it has taken quite a loo...oong while but i finally managed to finish it and bring it back on road. And she is performing well... ...and i think i must put her through a heart transplant. I am now looking for a low mileage 1FDVTV 70 series V8 with single turbo (the 100 series comes with twin, but then an automatic gearbox, wont fit inside the bay and electronics compatability is a nightmare)... complete with radiator, intercooler, alternator AND bell housing and gear box. Any ideas where to look??

And yes - I forgot to mention that I will be putting up pictures as well... ..she is a beautiful beast! Work done so far

1. Engine rebuild - the 1HZJ80 is good but not great when it comes to 315/75s and a six inch lift kit. Looking for a v8 heart transplant soon. She runs true and starts great of the block, but there just isnt enough oomph!

2. Suspension overhaul - ironman 6"... Boy does she roll now!! And yes - she draws EVERYONES attention. The Pajero in my society looks like a kindergartner

3. A/C - Lost the cooling coil so retrofit a larger (yes - I cut the box that holds it together) Lexus one for the front. The rear also has a new, larger Innova one.

4. FIP was a problem with a lot of kich-kich-kich, Toyota helped by reaching out to Denso - turns out engine overhaul dont include governor weights within FIP. Now the pump is a bit advanced, so there's some black smoke when you floor it suddenly, but still early days.

And yes - my interior incandescent lighting must go! I will be writing a big post on that soon.

Last edited by bblost : 19th October 2015 at 22:29.
rockycrawler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:06   #39
BHPian

Oh my God! What took you so long ?
I remember reading about the build even before I was a member of Tbhp. I even enquired on 4x4 India FB page about the built, but to no avail.

Now please post some pics of the Everest as I am longing to see how it has turned up.
Old 20th August 2017, 04:51   #40
BHPian

Hi Rockycrawler, I am looking at an LC buy. I tried to message you but I am unable to PM you. I need to correspond with you on this as I think without your advice I will not be able to go ahead. Please leave me an e-mail on tappunodade@yahoo.com. Many thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks