Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2013, 23:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2013 Range Rover Sport Launched

Offroad experience:

I was more interested in taking the Sport off roading than drive it on tarmac. Just after the photo shoot, we headed to another site that had been setup for demonstrating all gizmos available on the SUV. Interestingly, our vehicles were not equipped with the off road kit that enables advanced capabilities however, I did not miss it being a rookie offroader.

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0177.nef.jpg

As we entered the property called 19 degrees north, the tarmac vanished the drive surface was covered in gravel. The instructor directed me to pull over and we engaged "grass gravel snow" mode on the drive selection knob. What it essentially does is alters the steering and throttle response to suit the driving conditions you choose. The other options were "mud-rut" and "sand". While in the hold area, I was shown around various capabilities already available on the HSE variant. We raised the drive height, took a look at the camera setup, went through settings for hill descent control.

Home menu on the setup screen:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0182.nef.jpg

As seen here, we were on "normal height" which is used for daily road usage:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0181.nef.jpg

We chose to raise the drive height to suit off road conditions. The screen shows the activity in progress.

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0185.nef.jpg

Should you choose to lower the drive height, it can be done in this very menu:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0184.nef.jpg

Once the height for driving off road, is acheived, the screen displays the same:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0188.nef.jpg

A very useful feature while offroading alone is the display of front tyre positions:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0190.nef.jpg

Next up, we setup the cameras. A total of 5 cameras are available, two in the front bumper for junction view, two in the wing mirrors for kerb side view and one in the rear for reversing.

We chose the kerb side view cameras and added them for view:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0193.nef.jpg

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0194.nef.jpg

The display screen also has a feature called split view in which each front screen occupant gets his own viewing. While I was going through the off road setup menu, my instructor could watch DD news.

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0201.nef.jpg

We also turned on hill descent control and setup the descent speed to minimum. The speed is setup using cruise control buttons on the menu. While coming down a slope, the mechanism would engage brakes automatically to ensure that the vehicle speed remains less than the speed you preset:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0207.nef.jpg

You'll see how useful kerb side cameras are as we drive through nearly zero clearance on both sides:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0208.nef.jpg

The first obstacle was a small rocky ascent. In my view it was quite steep and I had a slight palpitation with the thought of putting the SUV through this stretch. Kept the vehicle to the left to avoid the big rock that you see in the centre right of the picture and accelerated my way upwards. The car climbed up with ease rocking and rolling in the gamble. There I was, past my first obstacle with no drama whatsoever.

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0209.nef.jpg

Next we went through a few more off road patches. I was slowly getting a hang of a sport I wanted to engage in long ago.

We reached a section full of slush. Here we changed the mode to mud and rut. Mud and rut, stiffens the steering a bit more and also reduces throttle response. This is done so that the vehicle does not sink in due to too much throttle input spinning the wheels. In slush, there are high chances of the car jumping out of a ditch and landing in a spot you didn't intend to go.

And off we went, keeping the momentum going and steering steady, we were in and out of slush in a jiffy:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0215.nef.jpg

The clean SUV was now dressed well for a picture:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0217.nef.jpg

It was time to come down a steep incline. I cross checked if hill descent control was engaged and speed was set to minimum. The instructions are simple, no throttle input or braking. Just steer the vehicle down. Somehow our vehicle speed down the incline was a little high. I realized that I had accidentally used upshifted on the steering paddles. Nonetheless, we came down safely.

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0222.nef.jpg

Next we thought of cleaning the car a little so we headed for a stream to dunk the vehicle for a wash. Not too deep and neither too shallow, the stream bed was full of rocks.

And out we were with a cleaned front and underside:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0223.nef.jpg

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0224.nef.jpg

A closer look at the projectors:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0226.nef.jpg

Came across a small but steep slope. Thought it would make a good picture:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0231.nef.jpg

In the last leg, we did a bit of axle articulation before we called it a day:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0234.nef.jpg

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0235.nef.jpg

Parting shot at the location in Amby valley:

Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport-_dsc0237.nef.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st October 2013 at 14:44.
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 14:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: 2013 Range Rover Sport

Note from support: Range Rover sport launch and Land Rover Drive experience is now live.
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks fantastic, but I doubt I can swallow that price tag :(
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:52   #19
Team-BHP Support

The base model for 1.1cr ex showroom, without leather seats and xenon headlamps. And here I thought BMW were speccing their cars badly.
Old 7th March 2014, 22:03   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thought of sharing these, no matter how many times i watch. Awesome as they say

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 22:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Phew!~ Loved the first video. Helps understand what it can do. Cutting 450kgs in one go!

I think this was the one that was/is here at Technopark in camouflage version. Lucky people in those projects.

But cutting off leathers etc for base version for a 1.1Cr SUV is bad.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 00:46   #22
BHPian

I wanted to revive this thread with a query as I was considering buying the SUV. Considering the impact of the British pound and the oncoming GST, what would be a realistic best price for the Range Rover Sport? Most suitably ex-showroom Delhi.

I was thinking of getting a car whenever the best deal was available. Please advise.

Thank you.
Old 20th June 2017, 08:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering the impact of the British pound and the oncoming GST, what would be a realistic best price for the Range Rover Sport? Most suitably ex-showroom Delhi.
They have already reduced prices a while back and are currently have back orders for 2-3 months. You can configure a decent SE around 1,15-1,25 Ex-Showroom. As of now, they are not confirming for any reduction due to GST may be due to their current order book. Enclosed is current brochure if that helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 17MY Range Rover Sport S SE HSE_tcm297-361977 (1)[3].pdf (387.0 KB, 233 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks