Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV

Link to News Section

Polaris India, the Indian subsidiary of American All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and snowmobile maker, has launched a top of the line ATV in the form of the Ranger RZR XP 900 model. Polaris set shop in India during August 2011, and the latest launch marks the completion of the company's 2 years of operations in the country.

Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV-2013-polaris-ranger-rzr-xp-900-atv-1.jpg

The Polaris RZR XP 900 is powered by an 875cc four stroke engine operating on a twin cylinder layout. This petrol powered engine, that comes with an 8 valve-DOHC valve train outputs a peak power of 88 Bhp. The liquid cooled and fuel injected engine's power and torque are transmitted to all four wheels of the ATV by means of an automatic gearbox.

Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV-2013-polaris-ranger-rzr-xp-900-atv-2.jpg

The ATV switches back and forth between two wheel drive and all wheel drive modes depending on the needs of the terrain, or in situations where the terrain sensing system detects wheel slip or low grip conditions. The two seat ATV weighs 540 kilograms, and comes with a cargo bay that can carry up to 136 kilograms of cargo.

The total payload of the ATV is 336 kilograms, which also means that the Ranger RZR XP 900 can transport two adults weighing 100 kilograms each. A 330 mm ground clearance and suspension with nearly 350 mm of travel means that the ATV can hold its own on almost any terrain.

Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV-2013-polaris-ranger-rzr-xp-900-atv-3.jpg

For sharper handling despite its high ground clearance, the Polaris Ranger RZR 900 comes with a low center of gravity. The engine is placed behind the seats for a weight bias on the rear wheels. The Polaris Ranger RZR 900 is priced at about 24.5 lakh rupees and is available at 15 dealerships across India.

Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV-2013-polaris-ranger-rzr-xp-900-atv-4.jpg

All ATVs sold by Polaris in India are imported into the country through the completely built unit (CBU) route. Polaris's ATVs cannot be driven on public roads in India and remain restricted to private roads and properties. The ATV isn't expected to be brought under the newly created Quadricycle category. So, public road use of ATVs could remain restricted in the future as well.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 25th August 2013 at 12:30. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 18:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV

@JayPrashanth

It's a great state of art ATV but in a price conscious country, I feel they will be able to sell only a hand full. Also their after-sales and support isn't very strong.
Timson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 21:14   #3
BHPian

How do you get it to a trail if on-road driving is not permitted?
Old 27th August 2013, 11:33   #4

Rs.24 Lakhs for a vehicle that you can't drive on the road & cant be registered.
One could buy a few M&M Thars and a few few Gypsys for that price for primarily off road use and still be able to drive them around for occasional normal road use.
I dont think Polaris is serious about selling even a single unit , the price is close to a C-class Mercedes , Audi or any premium brand car.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

So, basically it is nice toy to play around with.

At 10-12 Lakhs, one could have given it a thought. But at 20L+ I would be really keen to understand their marketing segmentation & product positioning. To my limited perspective, I can only foresee a few institutional buyers.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
So, basically it is nice toy to play around with.

At 10-12 Lakhs, one could have given it a thought. But at 20L+ I would be really keen to understand their marketing segmentation & product positioning. To my limited perspective, I can only foresee a few institutional buyers.
Haha at 20L+ any buyer would have to be institutionalised !
Its simply an absurd pricing strategy that eventually will have to be reviewed by Polaris when they see single digit unit sales few years down the road.
Old 28th August 2013, 16:11   #7
BHPian

At that price, people would probably go for the short-chassis V6-petrol-engined Wrangler.
Old 15th January 2014, 21:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Govt to allow ATV's to be registered for use on regular roads.

Source : Discussion on here.
Old 15th January 2014, 23:04   #9
BHPian

Though not directly related to Polaris, but here is a comparo of a modern ATV with an old Willys! Take your pick!

For this price, I would rather scout for an abandoned Willys somewhere, restore it to original specs and run it.
Old 16th January 2014, 17:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to ride in the RZR 800 at Amby Valley and boy that is one mean machine. The ride is like a magic carpet and big boulders feel like a small road humps in that thing ! It was immense fun and it can easily handle the harshest terrain while keeping it's occupants in unimaginable comfort.

A back to back ride in a Thar and the RZR over the same OTR course makes you appreciate it even more...
Old 26th August 2017, 00:28   #11
BHPian

Saw a Polaris on Chennai ECR road today. Not sure if it's safe to take one's family in it. Saw him near ECR to Kelambakkam toll and finally got time to take a video near Kelambakkam signal when we were waiting to take a u then.

Attached Thumbnails
Polaris India launches Ranger RZR XP 900 ATV-img_9342.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks