Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Mods please merge the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-image.jpg  

Old 25th November 2013, 14:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the purchase
Vehicle seems to be in excellent condition.
How much did you pay for the Maxxis AT 771 tires?
Old 25th November 2013, 14:58   #18
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congrats for the purchase
Vehicle seems to be in excellent condition.
How much did you pay for the Maxxis AT 771 tires?
Hi Akshay, thanks for the compliment. I payed 7400/- per tyre. The geolanders were costing 9100/- a piece.

Last edited by RVD : 25th November 2013 at 15:00.
RVD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 10:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
With respect to the door, I went ahead and added yoga mats on the outer metal of the door
Mate,
First of all congrats on your acquisition of thar at an aggressive price.
Quite innovative on your part to fit in the Yoga Mats. My only question is are these Yoga Mats water repellant? Would they absorb water? Cause if they begin to absorb water then you might have a bigger problem on your hands with rust creeping in over the next 3-4 years.

Did you not have a look at other alternatives in the market?.
Old 26th November 2013, 16:40   #20
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
First of all congrats on your acquisition of thar at an aggressive price.
Quite innovative on your part to fit in the Yoga Mats. My only question is are these Yoga Mats water repellant? Would they absorb water? Cause if they begin to absorb water then you might have a bigger problem on your hands with rust creeping in over the next 3-4 years.

Did you not have a look at other alternatives in the market?.
Thank you for your compliments!!!!

I actually did think about the problem that you have mentioned. Actually, its not just the water seeping in, I am also curious to see if the adhesive lasts the summer heat coupled with the black body colour. My initial plan was to go for Dynamat Extreme or similar products but as this is not that high on my priority list, I decided to make stop gap arrangement for the interim period. Very cost effective. Having said that, I do intend to keep a close watch by removing to door pad every couple of months.

Thanks

Last edited by RVD : 26th November 2013 at 16:44.
Old 26th November 2013, 16:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your compliments!!!!
Having said that, I do intend to keep a close watch by removing to door pad every couple of months.

Thanks
Ok, but I will be keen to keep referring to your thread for any updates on it. Got my swift done with 8 Sheets of sound dampers(not too sure of the make) and it has been roughly 5 and a half years. Costed me close to 15K but can say with conviction that there has not been a single strain of rust or they coming loose because of their adhesives.
Till date my swift diesel has been very silent even after 137K kms. Would recommend using them next time when it figures on your list.
But if the current setup works then yes why not.

Cheers,
Mahesh Kora
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 00:03   #22
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, but I will be keen to keep referring to your thread for any updates on it. Got my swift done with 8 Sheets of sound dampers(not too sure of the make) and it has been roughly 5 and a half years. Costed me close to 15K but can say with conviction that there has not been a single strain of rust or they coming loose because of their adhesives.
Till date my swift diesel has been very silent even after 137K kms. Would recommend using them next time when it figures on your list.
But if the current setup works then yes why not.

Cheers,
Mahesh Kora
Now that you mention it, I have a couple of questions.
1) Did the 8 sheets cover all the doors, boot included?
2) Was the damping added to both the outer and inner metal of the door?
3) Did the material cover the whole door or was it pasted in strategic locations?
4) Was it a DIY or did you take it to a professional for installation?

On a side note, how is your FZ1 doing?? Been sitting on the fence with regards to a superbike purchase. May just take the plunge in the near future.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 07:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, how is your FZ1 doing??

Thanks
Please find my responses in line with your queries .

1) Did the 8 sheets cover all the doors, boot included? --> Yes the sheets were fitted onto the door, boot and on the floor as well.
2) Was the damping added to both the outer and inner metal of the door? --> It has been applied the same way as you have done. That is the inner metal of the door.
3) Did the material cover the whole door or was it pasted in strategic locations? The material did cover majority of the area. It was pasted above the intrusion bars you have on swift.
4) Was it a DIY or did you take it to a professional for installation? --> Done completely by a professional who is a very good friend of mine. Infact this was done in March 2008 when it was being primarily used for audio dampening.

FZ1 is simply fantastic, very light on maintenance. Probably she might have been cheaper than my RD to maintain and run .
If you are going in for a SBK in the near future would strongly suggest you to make up a list of stuff that you want the bike to do and then make your decision.
Old 27th November 2013, 14:50   #24
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Please find my responses in line with your queries .

1) Did the 8 sheets cover all the doors, boot included? --> Yes the sheets were fitted onto the door, boot and on the floor as well.
2) Was the damping added to both the outer and inner metal of the door? --> It has been applied the same way as you have done. That is the inner metal of the door.
3) Did the material cover the whole door or was it pasted in strategic locations? The material did cover majority of the area. It was pasted above the intrusion bars you have on swift.
4) Was it a DIY or did you take it to a professional for installation? --> Done completely by a professional who is a very good friend of mine. Infact this was done in March 2008 when it was being primarily used for audio dampening.

FZ1 is simply fantastic, very light on maintenance. Probably she might have been cheaper than my RD to maintain and run .
If you are going in for a SBK in the near future would strongly suggest you to make up a list of stuff that you want the bike to do and then make your decision.
Would you be able to share the contact information of the person ? 15k for all that you mentioned is a very good price. I understand that the price would have gone up but still seems like a good place to check.

BTW, good to know that your FZ1 is doing well.I am leaning towards the Triumph Daytona. Will talk to you offline, one of these days, regarding the same.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 17:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would you be able to share the contact information of the person ? 15k for all that you mentioned is a very good price. I understand that the price would have gone up but still seems like a good place to check.

Thanks
Sure mate, Will message his contact details and he is based out of Jayanagar 4th Block.

Daytona 675 is a wonderful bike and as i mentioned earlier somewhere in this forum, you cannot afford to go wrong with the bikes at that price point. All that would matter to you would be your requirements and intended usage. As long as that makes practical sense then go for it.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 00:21   #26
RVD
BHPian

One thing that really bothered me with the THAR is the lack of any sort of driving comfort.It is not too bad but I just wanted to make the driving just that bit more comfortable.As I did not want to change the front seat, I just decided to add a hand rest cum storage box made out of wood. It was a cheap option and serves me purpose very well. The only problem being that in my hurry to get it done, I actually got it upholstered in grey instead of black. I had not taken the Jeep with me and for some reason I thought that the stock seats were Grey. Anyway, the final product came out pretty alright. It actually looks better in person than in the pics. Attaching a few pictures for reference.Please ignore the dirty interiors...
Attached Thumbnails
A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131128_130320.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131128_130336.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131125_164848.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131125_174150.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131125_174139.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131125_174314.jpg  

Last edited by RVD : 1st December 2013 at 00:25.
Old 1st December 2013, 09:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
One thing that really bothered me with the THAR is the lack of any sort of driving comfort.It is not too bad but I just wanted to make the driving just that bit more comfortable.As I did not want to change the front seat, I just decided to add a hand rest cum storage box made out of wood. It was a cheap option and serves me purpose very well. The only problem being that in my hurry to get it done, I actually got it upholstered in grey instead of black. I had not taken the Jeep with me and for some reason I thought that the stock seats were Grey. Anyway, the final product came out pretty alright. It actually looks better in person than in the pics. Attaching a few pictures for reference.Please ignore the dirty interiors...
Hey,
I am also thinking of this mod for long however as I have forward facing rear seat the entry for passenger is from between front 2 seats. You are also fitting FF rear seat now so have you thought about this issue?
Old 1st December 2013, 19:45   #28
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hey,
I am also thinking of this mod for long however as I have forward facing rear seat the entry for passenger is from between front 2 seats. You are also fitting FF rear seat now so have you thought about this issue?
I am not too worried about the same as the Thar is not the family vehicle. The ingress and egress will definitely be a problem but then the rear seat would be used only 10% of the time and that too by only friends. They are flexible enough(for now) to squeeze in either from between the front seats Or from the rear over the wheel well. All other times, it would either be just me or wife by the side.

Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 23:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:

One thing that a person learns very quick after buying a Thar is that they can bid farewell to any kind of bank savings that they may have had in the past. The modifications are inevitable and endless. It's amazing how after repeating for a few times in the head, the mind gets convinced that the modifications are much needed and justified.

My wife was so very happy to read this part! I have got custom seats and a yellow soft top apart from an AC for my Thar DI. Then there was a suspension mod, the cat-con byepass and the egr blanking. Wifey does not understand why the 'new car'needs so many visits to the doctor. She compares it with the Swift which needed only regular service for the 70k K.M. we had it for!
Old 23rd April 2014, 00:30   #30
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
My wife was so very happy to read this part! I have got custom seats and a yellow soft top apart from an AC for my Thar DI. Then there was a suspension mod, the cat-con byepass and the egr blanking. Wifey does not understand why the 'new car'needs so many visits to the doctor. She compares it with the Swift which needed only regular service for the 70k K.M. we had it for!
Thankfully, my wife is too busy with our new born to notice all the changes on the Jeep. BTW, can you elaborate on the suspension mod ? Also, do please post the picture of the soft top. Should be interesting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks