Team-BHP - A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/151345-mahindra-cj500-dp-custom-made-expedition-trailer.html)

Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Mahindra CJ500D 1984 model, registered in the month of July.

The RC says it has 4 cylinders and 75 hp. Seating capacity is 6 including the driver and unladen weight is 1110kgs. Will start restoring from this week onwards when another Jeeper and a BHPian from Guwahati shall come down and introduce me to a local mechanic who is about 80 but an expert in jeeps.

Here are the pictures:

Hi wondernomad, congratulations upon your new buy. The jeep appears to be in a restorable condition.Spares are affordable and not so tough to procure even in 2014.
The paint (at least the colour) appears to be original. You will have to check for rust and cracks in the chassis- body links that was mainly nuts and bolts.The 4X4 version shows it might have been put into off-road use. The bodies were prone to cracks at the body-chassis junctions. Rusting was also a problem with all these M&M bodies (also chassis) in the CJ series and the 540 series too. The build quality was poor and rattles were commonplace.

Rusted parts need to be rubbed, scraped then coated and treated with primer and finally painted.

Like for instance, the rear tailgate is so freak, that when a stepney is bolted, the rear door rattles whenever the UV goes on uneven roads.

Coming to the electricals, please check or else a new wiring is suggested if the older wiring is not quite OK.Or it can be replaced in the places it shows damages.The cut-out (don't know whether Prestolite still makes them), dynamo (Lucas), self starter (Lucas), self solenoid, horns and the battery all need to be OK.The engine MD 2350 ( I will scan and try to post technical details) needs a battery to start with the self starter. And then the battery is desired for horns and lights. Otherwise if it is push started and used during the daytime, (no horns) the engine can run like a donkey without any hiccups. Constant cruising at 60-70 kmph all day long has no effect on this engine.

The underbelly and the engine bay components have thick coats of oil-dust/filth coats that is typical of the Mahindras of the times. Oil leaks from under the engine, oil drainbolt, transmission drainbolt and joints and gaskets everywhere, differential gaskets and drainbolts are all prone to oil seeps.These parts must be thoroughly cleaned and older gaskets changed.

The engine components need to be dissassembled, washed in diesel and cleaned thoroughly. The defective components can be repaired/ replaced. I have seen many old jeeps with this engine lying unused for years, but when brought again back for use, these start with a lot less hiccups, compared to many other engines.

Please also get the Mico fuel pump checked. If it needs calibration (the most important part), get it done from a Mico authorised dealer.

The backseat is added replacing the older 3+3 bench seats in the rear cabin.The front temporary doors on either sides, seems to have been added to make it more rain proof.
The meters and dash lights appear to be original. So also the steering and the horn button.The heater button in plastic and indicator (aluminium mesh) on the dash to appear to be in place.

Happy restoration. Do keep us informed.:)

@wanderernomad

The CJ-Series is a legend, known for its power, strength, durability and rugged attitude. Congratulations.
I have been following your dilemma on the deal for a long time and now you finally made it. :thumbs up
All this time I presumed it was a CJ-500D but it turns out to be a 500DP. The Engine is not a MD2350 but an Peugeot XDP4.90 mated to a T-90 transmission. The CJ is a very good restorable condition, only major missing components are the BOSCH FIP, Injector pipes, front propeller shaft, park brake drum and few other minor stuff.
Lot oil leak and dirt accumulation would have prevented rust formation on the under chassis components :D the first step should be to give the jeep a through power wash.

All the best and Good luck on the restoration.

Chengappa.

My first aim is to get the jeep running. So will get the engine components cleaned and done up again. My first chat with the mechanic and he said he would not like to open the engine if it is running fine. My view was to open and clean everything even if the first crank and firing points towards everything being ok. Should I insist upon it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timson (Post 3440483)
@wanderernomad
All this time I presumed it was a CJ-500D but it turns out to be a 500DP. The Engine is not a MD2350 but an Peugeot XDP4.90 mated to a T-90 transmission. The CJ is a very good restorable condition, only major missing components are the BOSCH FIP, Injector pipes, front propeller shaft, park brake drum and few other minor stuff.
Lot oil leak and dirt accumulation would have prevented rust formation on the under chassis components :D the first step should be to give the jeep a through power wash.

All the best and Good luck on the restoration.

Chengappa.

Thanks mate. Now being a DP, is it good or bad news? Because frankly I also bought it thinking it to be the international harvester engine only. stupid:
The FIP, injector pipes are easily available I hope? Front shaft is avail' able but not connected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 3440491)
Thanks mate. Now being a DP, is it good or bad news? Because frankly I also bought it thinking it to be the international harvester engine only

Hi, IMO, a properly rebuilt XDp 4.9 is always better than the very slow revving international engine.
The FIP, injector pipes are easily available I hope? Front shaft is avail' able but not connected.[/quote]
What FIP do you have? In any case, the parts are easily available for the XDP 4.9 .

Also, for what purpose do you intend to restore the vehicle to? The answers will vary a lot depending on it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 3440504)
Hi, IMO, a properly rebuilt XDp 4.9 is always better than the very slow revving international engine.
The FIP, injector pipes are easily available I hope? Front shaft is avail' able but not connected.

What FIP do you have? In any case, the parts are easily available for the XDP 4.9 .

Also, for what purpose do you intend to restore the vehicle to? The answers will vary a lot depending on it. :)[/quote]

Basically a recreational vehicle to explore the many forest and wildlife trails here in Assam. No hard core offloading, just a vehicle having an ability to tackle the slushy, sandy and off trails. Subsequently, mean to turn it into a small expedition vehicle for weekend camping trips into the hills once I go back home.

Sorry wondernomad, I thought it was the MD2350 engine. Upon reading the posts and carefully looking at the pictures , the engine is clearly the earliest Peugeot used by M & M, the XDP 4.90 mated to a Kia transmission, if my memory serves me right.

This engine has less NVH levels as compared to the International engine and should also be easy to work upon. The fuel pump uses battery power and is not so lenient like the MD 2350 to run without a battery.

But believe me,I have driven these engines too for long distances and it is also a tough workhorse. It can withstand lots of abuse.

Again Happy restoration and Happy Driving.

If i would have been in your place, i would have done things in below order
Phase-I
1) arrange a FIP from later model of XDP (as late as 98-2002) or borrow a FIP to start the engine
2) Superficial check of engine, glow plug, gearbox and rear diff
3) Thorough (caustic soda/diesel wash) of entire jeep
4) Change all lubes
5) Grease 4 wheels, knckles
6) Repair brake master cylinder with servicing kit along with entire brake system
7) Tie rod ends, steering box
8) Try to start engine and drive for few kms to understand condition of jeep

Phase-II
1) What tyres
2) What engine, if existing engine is dead or you want to change it to something else
3) Paint
4) Wiring and electrical components
5) upholstrey

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 3440357)
...RC says it has 4 cylinders and 75 hp..

May be it was a lot/batch of 2 Jeeps, one for senior officer and one for junior officer. :D

Jokes apart, its ages one saw a full-on rust bucket restoration of an authentic flat fender in these pages.

1) Start the engine (get a pump of course, from a scrap market)
2) service steering/brakes, and take it for a TD
3) If you make it back then write/ask Questions here and you shall get help...

Dear Wandernomad,
One more point to add, check whether you have big drum brakes (front and rear) or not, if no try to replace your drums to bigger ones from MM540.
In hills you definitely need strong brakes !

Shubhendra Singh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubhendra (Post 3441268)
If i would have been in your place, i would have done things in below order
Phase-I
1) arrange a FIP from later model of XDP (as late as 98-2002) or borrow a FIP to start the engine

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Will the FIP of a Marshall be compatible with this engine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 3441639)
Will the FIP of a Marshall be compatible with this engine?

Nahi, Marshal came with Di engine and my limited knowledge says it wont fit. To be on safer side why don't you ask your mech to loan a FIP and try to start engine to evaluate engine health ? if condition of engine is not good, you may think to change entire engine itself. you can also check condition of starter and alternator. Repairing each of them will cost you more than buying an entire working set
remember : parts in pieces cost (separate engine and FIP) more than one set (engine with FIP).

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Check out the injectors. To distinguish between the CAV pump and the Bosch. The fuel filters say it is a Bosch, but I've known people to change these. If it is the CAV, in Assam you're sc***ed if it comes to service.

If it has a coil spring clutch, change to a diaphragm type. One of these was my daily drive for quite some time. And what I blame for my hip and knee troubles!

Battery support used to break off. Check.

Very very poor quality of electrical wiring. Redo.

Very poor cold starting. Be warned!

Lots of other thoughts, but first start getting it roadworthy.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 3441778)
Check out the injectors. To distinguish between the CAV pump and the Bosch. The fuel filters say it is a Bosch, but I've known people to change these. If it is the CAV, in Assam you're sc***ed if it comes to service.

Regards
Sutripta

Thanks Dada, but it was a Govt jeep so I doubt if anything would have been changed from the OE. Am I ok if its bosch? I think we have a bosh service centre here in Jorhat itself.