Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold

I put a specially fabricated steel half cap on my 2013 Thar in 2016. It's a good functional design. I have room outside in back for odd sized stuff and people can ride on the rear fenders back there in a pinch. And there is plenty of room for luggage inside behind the front seats. I can also put a couple of people inside behind the front seats in a pinch.

But, as you see, I park it outside and the fabbed top has not handled the Indian sun too well. The metal top and the body filler expand at different rates and the paint can't stand up to that. So, what I might do is re-prime the top, sand out the rust, but cover the primed steel top with cloth, leaving some space between the metal top and fabric top for air to dry the top out. That's the plan anyway. My 2013 has 134,000km on it and it runs like new so I am not in a hurry to sell it.

First pic is the top today.
Second pic is my scratched up bonnet. A troop of Langurs plays poker on it.
Third pic is the top when new in 2016.

Gotta sand and paint the whole thing. Might go with yellow or gold.

I put a Bimbra fiberglass top on my 2018 Thar (I have two Thars, a 2013 and a 2018). This is the second monsoon for it and I park it outside. The Bimbra top? No leaks, no squeaks. Bimbra did it right!
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-dsc02502.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-dsc02497.jpeg  

Attached Images

DirtyDan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 17:04   #62
BHPian

re: Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold

Doc,

Need your feedback on the Armoro top. Did you get the ones with openable windows? How is the fit and finish, and water ingress (if any)?

I am thinking of going for Olive/Sand, but not sure how it will look on the Black Thar.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2020, 19:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What is the cost difference between Armoro vs stock canopy? I have seen them in a few videos the colors are good but I'm sceptical about the fit.
Hello there,

I have no idea of the OEM Canopy Cost, this one by armoro cost me around 17000 for the canopy (Black Openable Windows) I shall put pictures soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
The new canopy looks nice on the Thar, how much did the entire thing cost along with spare wheel cover?

Pls post few more pics of the canopy.
The spare wheel cover and I got the door stopper also, All prices as per their website +10% discount.

Fit Finish is good. Quality Material. No water ingress. It is not as tight as original but i guess over time it will shrink. Looks good only.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 21:21   #64
BHPian

60,000 Km Servicing, ARMORO Softtop Issues & FourKnotFour's Siblings

60,000 Km Servicing.

Routine 60,000 Kms servicing done in Sikkim Motors Authorised Servicing Centre. Usual Stuff, they never have parts in stock, had to run around in town to find Engine Insulator Blocks (I had already placed orders with a vendor and luckily he could manage) It cost Rs 2013 which is not in their Bill as it was purchased from another place. The same vendor Mr Sonu from Bye Pass (Authorised Mahindra Parts Dealer) who managed to get me an AC Condensor also during the Covid Lockdown. The Sikkim Motors Service Station Parts Shop is an absolute pathetic in its dealings and after multiple requests fails to provide basics of the parts. The upper arm ball joint assembly was ripped off an arm itself due to unavailability.
Nevertheless a less than enthusiastic service, due to paucity of space they did in the commercial section and didn't follow standard hygiene protocols like magnetic body protector covers, seat and steering covers for service etc. Plus they were more concerned in just changing oils and changed even the Transfer Case Oil when it was not in the manual. They defended saying that it is in the updated manual but failed to provide documentary evidence. Rest of the work, parts cost and labour costs are in the photographs that follow.

ARMORO Softtop issue
Brand New Armoro Operable Soft top leaked in the seams in a heavy downpour. Nothing alarming but definitely leaked visibly in the seams. Especially around the openable windows. Shot on Watsapp to Armoro with pictures and videos and they responded when I threatened for a TeamBhp Review . They got in contact with their QC team and got back to me again after 48 hours. They said the entire batch is defective so offered me three options to choose.
1. Full Refund & Return of Top
2. Rs 3000 Gift Coupon on Armoro and Replacement of Top (When New Stock Arrives- not sure when- could be few months to more than 6 months)
3. They will give me one non openable top Free on top of this current one.

Chose Option 3 and waiting for an extra Non Openable Top in Sand. Always wanted a Sand one too. :-) The current one needs some seam sealant and hope it holds on. Cant say for sure though.

HIS SIBLINGS

My fourknotfour gets two new siblings this month, rather the last month I would say, A Suzuki Ciaz Zeta BS6 and a RE Himalayan BS6 both of which probably wont have their own ownership thread due to time constraints so probably some bits here and there.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-labour.jpg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-parts.jpg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-1.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-2.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-3.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-4.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-5.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-6.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-photo-7.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:47   #65
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful photos! Congratulations on Ciaz and Himalayan!

I'm about to get auxiliary lights on my Thar as well, and I would love to have your input regarding where should I place them - below the windshield or on the bumpers? I fear that in case of even a minor accident or wading through some waterlogged road, the lights might get damages if fit upon the bumper. What are your opinions and experience regarding this?
Old 7th September 2020, 07:19   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful photos! Congratulations on Ciaz and Himalayan!

I'm about to get auxiliary lights on my Thar as well, and I would love to have your input regarding where should I place them - below the windshield or on the bumpers? I fear that in case of even a minor accident or wading through some waterlogged road, the lights might get damages if fit upon the bumper. What are your opinions and experience regarding this?
Auxillary light depends on the usage. Anything over the level of headlamps are pretty much illegal on road. So the only usage is when offroad and in uncharted territories. I put them to basically to signal the trucks in highways to dip their lamps especially after two Nepal Highway Runs with glaring trucks. I basically live in hills so i have no issues of constant waterlogged roads. An occasional dip in freshwater in culverts streams hasn’t caused any damage till date. I recommend that you place bumper lights a tad behind unlike mine to protect any untoward damage on minor impact if any which luckily I haven’t had till date. Mine are quite ahead so the prospect is always there. Fog lamps wont be effective in dense fog if placed too high up. My pencil beams on the bumper does an awesome job when required but its once in a bluemoon. Really helps in sharp turns to warn incoming vehicles as its travel is very much ahead of my stock headlamps.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

It should be easy to fab up a little cross piece about at the level mine is and mount your lights there. You could attach the cross piece to the the OEM bumper without a whole lot of trouble. My lights are low enough not to attract cops and high enough to miss most of the bumper level whacks and bumps. I put in 100watt capable headlights with a voltage regulator, too. Works good and does not blind anybody. I take care to aim my all my lights so as not to bother people or attract attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-dsc02558.jpeg  

Old 31st October 2020, 11:16   #68
BHPian

Armoro Softtop Update

The new Armoro black openable softtop leaked at the seams at couple of places in heavy rain so the company provided me an extra Closed Canopy free of cost. I choose in sand colour and the contrast makes it stand out.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-whatsapp-image-20201031-11.11.12-am.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-whatsapp-image-20201031-11.10.20-am.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:11   #69
BHPian

Crossing 60K Kilometres, new tyres, mountains to sea and rollling strong

Hello folks,

An update after a long time. The 404 has crossed 60K Kms on ODO, currently doing at 64K+.

Updates:

Managed to buy a sealant and seal the leaking canopy of the openable Armoro Soft Top. Black Soft top looks better for me i feel so the sand one is neatly packed and stowed away for time being.

The rear seats were way too back so managed to move them about 6 inches ahead on the wheel well. Managed to make the boot space bigger which now takes in a full sized trolley easily. Also changed the mounting on the rear seat locks into extended version so the floor is flat. Had some problem while loading lot of Tiles and hardware items with seat folded once. The passengers on the rear also gave a feedback of better ergonomics since the front seats are closer up.

Speakers update: Invested in better speakers. 2 sets of Infinity in good solid plywood boxes and bolted down and locked to prevent easy theft.

The rear tailgate I extended by 6 inches by a frame of steel pipe and chequered aluminium sheet to prevent the rear canopy from dripping down inside and keep some dust and water ingress.

The radiator was busted by a rod on an under-construction road and had to be replaced in entirety with a hose pipe too.

Changed into a new set of Tyres- Same Yokohama Geolander AT 235. (Changed in Howrah, Kolkata- Love the alignment they did there )

Interesting Trips:
Did a North Sikkim Drive (Gurudongmar) during peak winter- Anniversary Celebration in Covid times. Had used one Diesel antifreeze additive from Bosch and it was wonderful.

Did a Mountains to Sea Drive- 2700 Kms to Puri and back in February. 404 went offroading in sand for the first time in a private hotel beach and it was amazing to be driving along the eastern coast of India all the way from the snow capped mountains.

Did a cargo haulage of 1.5 tonne from Siliguri to Namchi (100 Kms Hilly Roads) - Construction material (Tiles/ Marbles etc) in rear with seats removed and left at home. It was an interesting drive as the vehicle was fully loaded and I realised how difficult it is to drive a goods vehicle.

Current Issues: Something is slightly wrong with the steering since quite some time, the FNG told some bearing is kind of little bit gone but advised against replacing it saying it is the same in some time again. My intermediate shaft was changed once.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-dsc_2665.jpg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_4723.jpg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_5071.jpg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_5352.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2021, 20:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crossing 60K Kilometres, new tyres, mountains to sea and rollling strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post

The rear tailgate I extended by 6 inches by a frame of steel pipe and chequered aluminium sheet to prevent the rear canopy from dripping down inside and keep some dust and water ingress.
More pics of this? I'm unable to imagine what and how of this.
Old 24th March 2021, 02:00   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
More pics of this? I'm unable to imagine what and how of this.
He made his tailgate door taller so that the soft top overlaps it more outside, thus shedding more water and dirt. Smart idea.
Old 24th March 2021, 07:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
He made his tailgate door taller so that the soft top overlaps it more outside, thus shedding more water and dirt. Smart idea.
Ahh okay. In one of the pictures above, the tail gate looks stock and hence the question. The mod job must have been after the trip.
Old 24th March 2021, 07:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Ahh okay. In one of the pictures above, the tail gate looks stock and hence the question. The mod job must have been after the trip.
Oh yes. The first photograph was before that mod. The Puri trip was after the mod but didn’t become visible in pictures. It cuts down dust and water ingress by a significant amount. Photographs here.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-356944d1048b468b84ff5e486548ec7e.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-d07a9f727f5242678de47c4a08399137.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-a7ba28dcc99f4d899b7484af9002975e.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-d9f7a4cfb434454e86c5d9ddc31540c4.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 08:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Oh yes. The first photograph was before that mod. The Puri trip was after the mod but didn’t become visible in pictures. It cuts down dust and water ingress by a significant amount. Photographs here.
Good idea! Btw, where is the lock/unlock switch now? When I had soft top, I would lift the flap a little and press down that switch to lock from outside. And lift it to unlock. Convenient but hardly any security.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Good idea! Btw, where is the lock/unlock switch now? When I had soft top, I would lift the flap a little and press down that switch to lock from outside. And lift it to unlock. Convenient but hardly any security.
Thank you. Its welded and rivetted so lightweight and no noise. The default locking mechanism remains as it is and is easily accessible too.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed