Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Soft-top 24 4.69%
Hard-top 353 68.95%
Convertible 135 26.37%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 09:10   #61
BHPian

Re: 4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've sat in an open top Gypsy, a soft top one and a hard top one. My observations are based on that. There is no question about the feeling in an open top or convertible 4X4, driving with wind in hair. But when it comes to practicality, I guess a hard top would be better.
Thanks for speaking my words.
I voted for hard top for its pros mentioned by everyone.
Why not Mahindra think of a sunroof to solve most of the cons of soft top and covers the advantages of hard top, mentioned above?
Is it not a possible solution?
Old 4th September 2020, 09:20   #62
BHPian

IMO, the car cannot be the primary/single car in a household. As a curiosity to scratch that midlife itch, definitely. The hard top isn't actually a hard top. It doesn't offer the same protection when the car rolls over as a car with sheet metal roof. Convertible isn't exactly useful in India (Bangalore at least) with the pollution and noise levels. I've seen an expensive BMW convertible in my neighborhood which the owner takes out for a spin (decked in aviator glasses, polo shirts etc.) on sunny mornings within a gated community. :-)

On a related note, I'd like to know how the higher end models of any car with panoramic sunroof score in crash tests versus the low end model with solid roof.
Old 4th September 2020, 10:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_kmc View Post
.. Most of us would have dreams of open top wind in air late night drives. A few may have already planned the vaunted mountain getaways ...If Mahindra Do hard top with removable section, it would probably win the poll hands down.
A hard top with quick removable panels opening up the sides and top would be a really fun vehicle for the mountains where I am. Presently Mahindra is not capable of producing such a vehicle in a cost effective way and I think their marketing people would shoot it down. That does not mean you can't go to a talented coach builder and get it done the way you want it.

The problem with removable panels and all tops is leaks, gaps and ease of operation. Also, where do you store the removed bits? I would leave them at home and keep a weather eye out for trouble. I have put 3 modded hard tops on 3 different Mahindra jeeps and I know a hard top with removable panels CAN be done. Dharamsala, H.P. where I am has a VERY heavy monsoon. Leaks and gaps simply could not be tolerated.

It would be a blast even in the winter to drive up in the mountains and have the clear cold mountain air swirl around you, to have the utterly beautiful mountain panoramas everywhere you look, to have the sun on your shoulders. The easy choices are, fiberglass, steel and even wood. 4X4addict has a top on his jeep that is a wood frame with cloth stretched over it. Maybe he can tell us how that is working out?

My 2018 with Bimbra top. I can imagine this with removable panels. It would be a joy to experience nature's bounty in an open vehicle. Even with a static hard top like I have, winter in the mountains ain't too shabby!
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible-dsc02349.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Choice of a top is dependant on one's lifestyle.

Where do I drive in my Thar the most ?
To my construction sites where documents, plans, money for the days wages is being carried. The Vehicle must be locked.

To Dr. Karni Singh Shooting range. Before and after shooting while the vehicle is parked and we go to the range office or cafeteria or armory the guns, cartridges, shooting vest, licences must be locked securely.

To the Jungles on missions like photography or census counts. Here to take pictures it is essential for a portion of the roof to be open to get up with a camera and a large telephoto lens. Spotters from the back also scout for wildlife with binoculars to the left, right and even behind.

Here an open vehicle is required and bench seats in the back to accomodate my own team and a warden or two.

This is why the best option for me was to go for a Hard Top with removable panels. The Hyderabad Hard Top. I will look for a similar arrangement in my replacement Thar too after a couple of years.
Old 4th September 2020, 13:15   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Choice of a top is dependant on one's lifestyle.

Where do I drive in my Thar the most ?

Nice one.

Strictly on a lighter note, there is also Gurgaon mall / GK 2 market (or in mumbai terms, Carter Road / band stand) where open top is essential for the buoys to get max visibility and their thumping music to have max coverage. 😂
Old 4th September 2020, 20:34   #66

I would prefer removable Soft top, whenever we are visiting any nearby hill stations like Munnar, Vagamon. ..etc in kerala. It is a nice weather to dive with open top and we can quickly cover it up when it starts to rain. I hope the convertible soft top is of good quality material and will prevent any water leakages once closed up.

I am expecting a lot of after market kits for Thar as soon as it is launched.

But, when in city, I always prefer hard top/ closed soft top mode. The temperature outside and the pollution in the city is unbearable.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:25   #67
BHPian

A bit of a contrarian thought.

As more and more people vote for (and buy) the hard top, the convertible becomes more appealing! A car like the Thar is likely to be bought as much for its visual appeal as it is for its off roading capabilities. And if you want to stand out in the crowd, you would want something which was different from the other Thars as well. If, for every 8 hard tops, there would only be 2 convertibles (if the polls are correct), anyone who wants to stand out will opt for a convertible.
Old 5th September 2020, 09:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:

To Dr. Karni Singh Shooting range. Before and after shooting while the vehicle is parked and we go to the range office or cafeteria or armory the guns, cartridges, shooting vest, licences must be locked securely.
Off topic, but I thought I must tell you that my dad shoots (Skeet) with you. I've seen your thar and also met you very briefly a couple of times but being a Trap shooter and many years junior I am pretty sure you don't know me.

I'll definitely introduce myself next time.
Old 5th September 2020, 10:45   #69
BHPian

Voted for HardTop. As much as I would like a convertible experience, Thar itself is a lifestyle vehicle. I would like to squeeze as much practicality as possible in there. Safety, hygiene etc will be a bonus.
Also, for people who don't have row houses with covered parking, it's much easier to park HardTop with little worry from internal miscreants.
Old 6th September 2020, 10:27   #70
BHPian

Instagram seems to agree with bhpians. 67% prefer hardtop.

4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible-img_20200906_102341.jpg
Old 7th September 2020, 13:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Off topic, but I thought I must tell you that my dad shoots (Skeet) with you. I've seen your thar and also met you very briefly a couple of times but being a Trap shooter and many years junior I am pretty sure you don't know me.

I'll definitely introduce myself next time.
And pray who are you young Sir ? And what is your dad's name, I am very friendly with all junior shooters that I know. Even on 50 M 25 M and 10 M Air rifle ranges if I have ever met them. So please do introduce yourself.

I presume you are Manzoor Elahi a Junior Trap Shooter whom I am very proud of. Coached by a Kuwaiti friend of mine.

Last edited by desertfox : 7th September 2020 at 13:41.
Old 7th September 2020, 14:10   #72
BHPian

Quote:
And pray who are you young Sir ? And what is your dad's name, I am very friendly with all junior shooters that I know. Even on 50 M 25 M and 10 M Air rifle ranges if I have ever met them. So please do introduce yourself.

I presume you are Manzoor Elahi a Junior Trap Shooter whom I am very proud of. Coached by a Kuwaiti friend of mine.
Oh no. I am not a junior shooter, I am just junior to you.

I did not want to share personal information here because it would be off topic and hence against the community rules but your inbox seems to be full and is not accepting any more PMs. Request you to please clear a few messages so that direct messages can be sent to you.

Malhi.

Last edited by Malhi : 7th September 2020 at 14:26.
Old 7th September 2020, 19:07   #73
BHPian

Somehow missed this thread till today. Voted for the convertible.
Am really disappointed the 2020 Thar doesn't have a sectional removable roof like the Wrangler. If that was there that would be my choice. The hard top looks great and would be my second choice.

I still have the 2012 Thar and enjoyed the bare bones feel and stayed without getting a hard top. Only twice in the past 8 years have driven it without the soft top and have enjoyed every minute of it. Got wet once and will always remain in memory as something unforgettable.

The effort involved in taking the roof off and putting it back on is the only problem with the fixed soft top. I got used the diesel fumes (when the rear flap is opened), road noise (done some 700 Km+ road trips with it). The top doesn't leak during rains as mentioned but there are one or two places where water droplets enter. It survived the 2015 Chennai floods with no issues.

Attached is a photo from last year when I had removed the original soft top.
4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible-img_20190902_080012797.jpg

Last edited by sjcherian : 7th September 2020 at 19:08. Reason: Typos / spelling
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:21   #74
BHPian

Since the hard top can be taken off/re-installed at/by the dealerships, is it then possible for one to purchase the convertible top variant to begin with, and then buy and install the hard top at a later point in time? Thus allowing for switching between the two tops at the dealerships?
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 14:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Since the hard top can be taken off/re-installed at/by the dealerships, is it then possible for one to purchase the convertible top variant to begin with, and then buy and install the hard top at a later point in time? Thus allowing for switching between the two tops at the dealerships?
Mahindra was selling a ugly hard top as an accessory for some time where you order it online and get it installed at a select dealership in your city. This definitely is an option.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks