Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 00:32   #1

4WD in bolero invader

Hi,

I am planning to buy a bolero invader. I want to know the usefulness of 4WD. I do not intend to do anything like great escape or something. But definitely want to know whether a 2 WD would perform well on mountain slopes. Can it do slopes like those present on roads in Himalayas. Or would you need to have a 4WD for that. I have been reading that its torque is good but power is low. But dont understand its implications.

Thanks
MAndeep
Old 11th May 2007, 12:53   #2
BHPian

4x4 is always good ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy a bolero invader. I want to know the usefulness of 4WD. I do not intend to do anything like great escape or something. But definitely want to know whether a 2 WD would perform well on mountain slopes. Can it do slopes like those present on roads in Himalayas. Or would you need to have a 4WD for that. I have been reading that its torque is good but power is low. But dont understand its implications.

Thanks
MAndeep
It depends what you need to do on the vehicle. Im not shore if the bolero has a permanent 4x4. If you talk about the himalayas you will be able to manage it with 2WD though a 4WD is an advantage as you can go faster and you will have more grip and drivability. Both going up and specially comming down slopes. Just make shore that you have a permanent 4x4 like the Gypsy or CJ40 jeeps and not a part time 4x4 like that of the Safari.

Have a look at the link for more on 4x4.

Ride to NIRVANA on two wheels.: March 2007

Regards
Rajnish
Old 11th May 2007, 16:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
It depends what you need to do on the vehicle. Im not shore if the bolero has a permanent 4x4. If you talk about the himalayas you will be able to manage it with 2WD though a 4WD is an advantage as you can go faster and you will have more grip and drivability. Both going up and specially comming down slopes. Just make shore that you have a permanent 4x4 like the Gypsy or CJ40 jeeps and not a part time 4x4 like that of the Safari.

Have a look at the link for more on 4x4.

Ride to NIRVANA on two wheels.: March 2007

Regards
Rajnish
All the above mentioned vehicles have selectable 4wd and using 4WD on tarmac is a no no! Buy a 4wd only if you plan to do hardcore offroading or if you are going into slush, snow etc. Be warned that the Invader 4WD has leaf springs in front unlike the 2WD which has coil springs.
Also the invader/bolero has fairly high torque but is low on bhp(power as you call it) To put it very simply , higher torque gets you out of trouble when you get stuck and higher bhp gives you a quicker 0-60.

Last edited by jyobeb : 11th May 2007 at 16:26.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mandeep, looking at your description, you don't need 4WD, you can do fine with 2WD. To understand 4WD read this link:

Howstuffworks "How Four-Wheel Drive Works"

I am currently in the market for 4WD which I intend to take off-roading. So I have checked the market.

Bolero Invader is not available anymore. Now it is called SLX 4WD, it comes with leaf springs in the front and rear, so expect real bumpy ride. By default the 4WD version comes with a weaker engine, however I am told you can order it with the DI engine. Also, the test drive is not available since it is made to order.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:56   #5

Thanks a lot guys..... i decided on a 2 WD... i am not getting into sand, snow or slush that often... besides i dont really want to compromise on the quality of suspension...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks