Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 15:01   #1

Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed

Hello TBHPian's :)

Firstly, sharing my journey of owning Pajero SWB 2.5L Automatic. It was an impulse buy, back in 2011 from Pune (it was Mumbai RTO registered though). I saw it online and had gone to Pune for work so gave a visit and fell in love prima facie. But the trial gave more clarity obviously and it was not in a good condition, the previous owner didn't maintain it properly.

Still I went ahead and bought it completely trusting my advisor (he had sent someone for trial also). He was like, "harsh abhi le lo apan kuch karte hai". I directly took it to him and he serviced it and made necessary changes.

Fast forward 4 years and in 2015 I decided to go ahead and do major changes. The reason being-

1. No engine power (torque came after crossing 60 kmph), driving in low speed was painful
2. Gear box problem
3. Rusting (windows, rear door)
4. Interior work as sunroof leaking, seat wear and tear etc
5. Tyres

When we started working on it we thought of fixing the existing engine and gearbox. But availability of parts was a major issue which was taking a lot of time, without any result.

So eventually we went ahead and converted it from 2.5 to 2.8, thinking about the future maintenance also being easier. Also shifted from automatic to 5 speed manual gearbox. Few other changes-

1. 3M underbody antirust coating,
2. New carpet after fixing the rust and did antirust coating here also
3. Shut the sunroof (big relief) and have a new ceiling now
4. New seat cover
5. 4*4 works perfect now
6. Maxxis 31/10.5/15 all new tyres and steel rims
7. New color

There are a lot of other minor changes done in the vehicle which I may not be aware as I relied and trusted the garage. I have started using it now and getting to learn slow and steadily. There are no modification wrt off-roading except A/T tyres. Just the basic and most important work done so far.

Recently I came across the idea of putting hybrid clutch, would like to know more about it. If anyone has any experience in their Pajero do share your valuable feedback.

Driving it is luxury :cool: and super fun. People look at it till it's out of sight even expensive car owners stop and give it a glance. I am making a video of the restoration will share it soon till then do enjoy the pictures :loveit.

Have fun :thumbs up

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220124 at 2.32.40 PM.jpeg
Views: 1918
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220124 at 2.32.40 PM 1.jpeg
Views: 1901
Size:  70.8 KB

Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed-whatsapp-image-20220124-2.32.39-pm.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed-whatsapp-image-20220124-2.32.41-pm.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed-whatsapp-image-20220124-2.32.42-pm.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed-whatsapp-image-20220124-2.32.42-pm-1.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed-whatsapp-image-20220124-2.32.43-pm-1.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th January 2022 at 20:23. Reason: Attachments inserted in order
harshmirani is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed

Love the extreme restoration!

It’s a beauty in that shade and kudos to you to have taken the pains for a complete engine swap. That’s like a heart transplant !
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP buddy. That's a super cool SWB Pajero you've. Thanks for sharing the story .

I'm little confused by the last two photographs where the car's colour is greenish. Is it some other Pajero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshmirani View Post
Recently I came across the idea of putting hybrid clutch, would like to know more about it. If anyone has any experience in their Pajero do share your valuable feedback.
This video will help you to understand on hybrid clutch. They use the clutch plate of Pajero Sport in the SFX. Benefits are better FE besides arresting the inherent shuddering in Pajeros. The need for frequent downshifting is contained as well.

I'm not sure if your SWB has different gear ratios compared to long wheelbase Pajero SFX. Experienced Pajero owners can chime in. i've just shared this link thread to couple of fellow members who have experience with Pajeros. Hope they can guide you better.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 28th January 2022 at 16:31.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:35   #4

Thanks a lot. Yes it was indeed a long process but wothwhile
Old 28th January 2022, 16:53   #5
BHPian

You could have gone to 16 inch Tyres.
Old 28th January 2022, 17:01   #6

Quote:
Welcome to Team BHP buddy. That's a super cool SWB Pajero you've. Thanks for sharing the story .

I'm little confused by the last two photographs where the car's colour is greenish. Is it some other Pajero?
@Bibendum90949

Thanks a lot!!!

The previous colour was blue (it may look green in the pic) as seen in the last two images. Tried to arrange the pics as those 2 pics were suppose to be the first pics. My apologies being new to the forum still getting used to it. So now it has Dark Grey colour.

Quote:
This video will help you to understand on hybrid clutch. They use the clutch plate of Pajero Sport in the SFX. Benefits are better FE besides arresting the inherent shuddering in Pajeros. The need for frequent downshifting is contained as well.

I'm not sure if your SWB has different gear ratios compared to long wheelbase Pajero SFX. Experienced Pajero owners can chime in. i've just shared this link thread to couple of fellow members who have experience with Pajeros. Hope they can guide you better.
Saw the video...looks like a good option

Mine has Pajero sfx gear box only so I can think of putting it

Thanks again

Quote:
Love the extreme restoration!

It’s a beauty in that shade and kudos to you to have taken the pains for a complete engine swap. That’s like a heart transplant !
Thanks a lot!!!

Yes it was a long and painful process but satisfying at the end and totally worthwhile

Now making proper use of it is more important, as its not a mall crawler

Quote:
You could have gone to 16 inch Tyres.
31/10.5/15 gives me enough sidewall for extreme roads and 16" wasn't really adding more of it so went ahead 15" only. Besides there were many using this size that gave me more confidence

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th January 2022 at 17:34. Reason: back to back posts
harshmirani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 22:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I am making a video of the restoration will share it soon
Wow!! What an absolute wonder of a restoration Harsh! I look forward for the video.
There’s nothing better than watching an old car getting restored to a pristine condition, and I hope I can have a look at it up close and personal someday!
Brilliant work!

Quote:

Dark Grey colour.
What is that colour called? I mean, does it have a specific code? At that lighting and that angle it looks as if nothing would’ve suited the car more! Could you share a few details on it?

Cheers!
humbleroadster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Wow!! What an absolute wonder of a restoration Harsh! I look forward for the video.
There’s nothing better than watching an old car getting restored to a pristine condition, and I hope I can have a look at it up close and personal someday!
Brilliant work!

What is that colour called? I mean, does it have a specific code? At that lighting and that angle it looks as if nothing would’ve suited the car more! Could you share a few details on it?

Cheers!
Thanks

So the main color is from kia international shades and is called Mineral Silver

Sharing the formula for Mineral Silver and glossy black on top. No 1 is the main color and 2nd is black for top and same color but matt clear for mouldings and bumper
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero SWB - Transformed-0c0525cbf32249dca6342e37e94fcadb-2.jpg  

harshmirani is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks