Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 09:16   #1
BHPian

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover

Hi All, I have got my Hilux truck bed covered with a custom fabricated heavy duty tonneau cover.

My use case was the have a super strong lid, which could accommodate a very heavy load (>200kg dynamic) on top so that I did not lose the utility of the bed section. Most tonneau covers restrict the height of objects that can be loaded in the bed, so I wanted to have something where I could load tall objects directly onto the tonneau cover. Additionally, I wanted it to be a modular and completely detachable design, which would involve a no-drill installation mechanism. Lastly, I wanted it to double up as a protective enclosure to house my dogs when travelling.

The design inspiration was taken from the following two lids:

1) Diamondback HD tonneau cover
https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackhd

2) Utemaster load lid
https://www.utemaster.com.au/ute-hard-lid/

Here is the result:

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_115847.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_115857.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230302_110526.jpg

There is a low profile cross sectional frame made from aluminium extrusion profile onto which (removably) hinge on two lid panels made from 16 gauge aluminium chequered plate sheet which is folded and riveted onto a reinforced square frame made from aluminium box profiles. This sides of this frame sit on the sides of the bed, while the cross sectional frame is clamped under the bed rails. The opening and closing of the lids is assisted with gas struts and the lids are coating with LineX to make them stronger and scratch resistant.

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230314_131446.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_120110.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_120104.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_120122.jpg

On the sides are attached MS rails which serve as tie down points, and at the ends T handle cam locks are used to lock the lids into position.

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_115907.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230228_115902.jpg

There is also a steel locking rod assembly which can keep the lid propped up and locked in a 20cm open position, to serve as the dog shelter.

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230301_103504.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230301_101846.jpg

Sometimes the dogs like sitting on the lid itself.

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230312_094629.jpg

The entire assembly does not require any drilling, and with two men and 10 mins can be dismantled to make the truck open bed once again.

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230216_153455.jpg

One can even carry the dogs with a bit of load tied down on top.

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230307_214131.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230307_214207.jpg

The entire design, engineering and fabrication of this lid was down by @regnex who is a member of this forum, and runs Regnex Customs in Goa. The LineX job was done by KAM customs in Mangalore.

Here are some pictures of the lid in action:
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230309_151307.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230301_091803.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230309_194147.jpg  

Attached Images

corneliu is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 09:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover

Your truck looks eye smacking nice functional mod there, sir! Your K9s are having a good time for sure

The only worry I have are those pipes that might pose a danger to you and as well to the other road users. Please look at having such pipes transported through appropriate UVs or trucks. Just a suggestion keeping safety of everyone in mind!
gururajrv is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 12:49   #3
BHPian

Looks super with the lids! Just a quick question, does it keep your luggage dry when it rains?
Old 16th March 2023, 15:31   #4
BHPian

That's a very neat arrangement there.
Albeit, how convenient is to remove and put back the lid(s) considering the weight of the same to be handled by the two men at that height?
Old 16th March 2023, 16:44   #5
BHPian

I have seen this truck in Ponda a couple of times. Looks dope
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:31   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys! Glad everyone likes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
The only worry I have are those pipes that might pose a danger to you and as well to the other road users. Please look at having such pipes transported through appropriate UVs or trucks. Just a suggestion keeping safety of everyone in mind!
Yes, agreed. Actually, it was just a 1km dash down from the hardware store to the site, but you're right, no matter how small the distance, it's not worth the risk from a road safety perspective. Will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ags82 View Post
Just a quick question, does it keep your luggage dry when it rains?
Yes, this is still WIP and a I'm still experimenting with the waterproofing setup. I have managed to put some pretty decent double loop EPDM rubber beading on the 4 sides and the centre. While the sides are very nicely sealed the tailgate and the centre need a bit more work. I have ordered some more rubber to plug the gaps in these parts. Will share the update on this (EPDM rubber beading for waterproofing truck bed + rails) thread once complete. My goal is to make it completely water/dust-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Albeit, how convenient is to remove and put back the lid(s) considering the weight of the same to be handled by the two men at that height?
It's quite convenient. Just have to remove the L shaped pins which slide into the two hinge arrangements, disconnect the gas struts from the lids, and you can lift the lids up and remove them. What remains is the aluminium extrusion profile cross section (which is used as the centre to hinge the lids onto), and with a rachet screwdriver the clamps bolting it to the bed rails can be removed, and then that also comes off. The whole process should not take more than 10-15 mins with the right tools. Each lid is around 24kgs, so very easily manageable with 2 men. Oh yes, one thing I did not mention is that this is ~50kgs of deadweight added to the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
I have seen this truck in Ponda a couple of times. Looks dope
Haha, yes that would probably be me. Thanks!
corneliu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 06:21   #7
BHPian

Excellent work mate.

You are putting the Hilux to its full use. We are building a farmhouse. Pickup makes so much sense for me. Just that I am not making any move as I have a Thar. Seeing your posts make me inspired to take the plunge.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Yes, this is still WIP and a I'm still experimenting with the waterproofing setup. I have managed to put some pretty decent double loop EPDM rubber beading on the 4 sides and the centre. While the sides are very nicely sealed the tailgate and the centre need a bit more work. I have ordered some more rubber to plug the gaps in these parts. Will share the update on this (EPDM rubber beading for waterproofing truck bed + rails) thread once complete. My goal is to make it completely water/dust-proof.
Chanced upon this thread and good to see enthusiasts developing products / accessories like this hard-top tonneau cover.

I work for a Bangalore based sheet metal fabrication unit and our company director owns and drives an ISUZU Vcross. He loves travelling far off places and prefers to camp as well. On his Vcross, he has a carryboy hard aluminium roller-lid which started leaking over time. Moreover, it was not strong to carry load on top of it.

And thats where he started thinking of ideas to try and make a hard top lid for this V-cross. One of the inspirations being the diamondback approach.

We worked on couple of iterations and developed a tonneau cover which is been working pretty well for the last couple of years. Its waterproof as well except for mild sweating from a single point.
This is a completely independent unit and gets clamped to the body. There is no drilling. We can easily remove either of the doors or the entire unit as well. Its actually a system of accessories which can be use in various permutations.

Sharing some pics for general reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20221019_175906.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20221019_175909.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20221019_180030.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20221019_180112.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20221019_180127.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20221019_180215.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This is a completely independent unit and gets clamped to the body. There is no drilling. We can easily remove either of the doors or the entire unit as well. Its actually a system of accessories which can be use in various permutations.

Sharing some pics for general reference.
Wow, an Indian made Diamondback!! It looks really neat, and seems to have a solid build quality. I can see some very modular accessories as well. Great design and engineering! PMing you right away to get more details.
corneliu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 11:57   #10

Hey ,really nice mod . Bdw did you get Line-X coating on your bed ?
bmwrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 14:37   #11
BHPian

Hi @nasirkaka,

looks interesting, is it for sale or only developed for yourselves?
shayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 11:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hey ,really nice mod . Bdw did you get Line-X coating on your bed ?
Hi, the Tonneau cover is just powder-coating with a rough textured finish. Bedliner is a removable fiber one and not Line-X coating.

Quote:
looks interesting, is it for sale or only developed for yourselves?
This was developed for personal use, but many people have shown interest, so seems like a good opportunity to start an automotive vertical. Not just for ISUZU but for other like HILUX as well

Infact, we had also developed a couple of variations of the rear bumper for V-cross with a hinged number plate and modular towing hitch arrangement. Came out pretty well. Sharing some pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230327_154711.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img_20230327_154814.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img20221201wa0018.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img20221201wa0022.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img20230328wa0037.jpg  

Toyota Hilux 4x4 | Got a custom-fabricated heavy duty Tonneau Cover-img20230811wa0039.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 01:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hi, the Tonneau cover is just powder-coating with a rough textured finish. Bedliner is a removable fiber one and not Line-X coating.

This was developed for personal use, but many people have shown interest, so seems like a good opportunity to start an automotive vertical. Not just for ISUZU but for other like HILUX as well

Infact, we had also developed a couple of variations of the rear bumper for V-cross with a hinged number plate and modular towing hitch arrangement. Came out pretty well. Sharing some pics below.
I am also interested in getting one for the Hilux. Please share your contact details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks