Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 19:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi Dan,

I am trying to get hold of some vendor from Australia to see if they can send some off road equipment - winch, traction mats, extraction cables for my Pajero. I will keep you and the other guys posted on the cost etc if any of you would also be interested.

Rgds
Please do so! We need off road equip. sources badly in India.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Altitude

The other thing about 4x4addict's solution, Turbo DI engine (MDI3200TC), is that a turbo helps at high altitudes. I am inclined to think that the 2100cc Peugeot will loose too much power high up. A turbo helps in this situation. By the way, if you manage to get any vehicle up to 80kph around here you are flat flying. It's all up and down and hairpin curves.

I take it that the 2100cc can not handle a turbo with intercooler? Is there even one that would work with it?
Old 21st May 2008, 20:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
I take it that the 2100cc can not handle a turbo with intercooler?
Don't even think about it!

Yes, I just remembered the altitude factor. You could exchange the current engine for what its worth (7-8k,how much did GTO sell his for?) and add some 25k extra for a good DI turbo engine.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:55   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

dan
try 4x4 Off Roads !
the chap who started this info site is called Thrandur Arnthorsson - might be of help to you if you try and post a query to him via his site.
Especially for equipment and such.
hope it helps
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:44   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
On the light weight classic package I am sure the 2.1 liter servers well, but once you are done with your XD3P project you should drive an MM540 with 2.1 and you will definitely notice the difference.
Of course there will be a difference. The main downside of the 2.1 is lack of top-end....it is horrible on the highway. But within the city, at speeds <70 kph, and while offroading, I never had a single complaint with the engine. In fact, the fantastic driveability & robust nature gave it a unique character.

Quote:
If I recall, you did change your final drive ratio to gain better top speed. That or the fact that your vehicle may have been spend most of its' life as an urban cruiser may explain the 1.4 lakh life of the engine. To be honest you'r is the first 2.1 liter engine that I know that has gone 1.4 lakh km without the top end engine job.
3 reasons:

1. Only Mobil 1 / Delvac 1 used in its entire life.

2. Mahindra service schedules strictly adhered to at a Mahindra owned workshop.

3. Usage = only city and for offroading. Long highway drives were always in faster / modern / safer cars.

Quote:
Since I sold the Gurkha, I am doing a bunch of upgrades to my MM540 as well. Will post some pics when I am done. The current set of upgrades:
Awesome! How about pictures of work in progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You could exchange the current engine for what its worth (7-8k,how much did GTO sell his for?) and add some 25k extra for a good DI turbo engine.
I think it was around 8K - 10K for the busted engine.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:54   #21
BHPian

Dan,

It looks like you are at a location that is several thousand feet above sea level. The problem with diesels is that they lose power very quickly as the altitude increases. The only way to fix this is to add forced induction. Add a turbo with a low boost (<5 psi) to keep the reliablity.
The Scorpio turbo is regulated at about 13 psi, so it is fairly high boost and you would have to figure out how to adjust the pressure down. This can be done by either modifying the internal wastegate or adding an external regulator.
Regards,
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Dirty Dan - hello to you. The vehicle photographs indicate that the vehicle has following specifications. It is a Commander 750DP with 105.5" wheelbase, 51" wheeltrack, having four wheel drive and a fully floating rear axle, however, this is not an integrally flanged axle and it does not have locational dowels. The engine is XDP4.90 developing 62 BHP. The transmission is KMT90. The gear ratios are 3.986, 2.368, 1.472, 1.000:1. The axle ratio is 5.38:1. The tyre size is 6.00*16 having M&S pattern. The chassis is a C section unit having web of 100 mm and flanges of 50 mm. The leaf springs are MM540 derived. This vehicle is most likely a 10 seater. Fuel tank capacity is around 50 litres. If you need any help, please PM me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd May 2008, 14:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Don't even think about it!

Yes, I just remembered the altitude factor. You could exchange the current engine for what its worth (7-8k,how much did GTO sell his for?) and add some 25k extra for a good DI turbo engine.

I had good luck with my 2.1 peugeot engine with a turbo. It ran 7-8 lbs. boost and gave great power.

Turbos are very simple to install and there is very little tuning required for a diesel.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Reading them

I am reading all your posts carefully. Special thanks Dhabhar.Behram who told me far more about this vehicle than the sellers could.

I found the local diesel mechanic who works on the government vehicles. He remembers this Commander very well and says it is sound. That's encouraging.

Regarding this motor, how much is a minor overhaul costing? How much is a major overhaul costing?

80-100 thousand kilometers strikes me as a very short interval for engine work. In the next couple of days I am going to try to find out more about this 2100cc Peugeot.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:24   #25
BHPian

I came in for something else but now reading through the posts I have realised that my commander needs ring job. All the symptoms match to my jeep
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Mr.Dirty Dan for your comments. The Commander has evolved over the years. The blue vehicle in the picture is the first generation. Subsequently the 10 seater became 8 seater, then it was known as the Marshal, then it got the Bolero front look with 15" radial tyres with the NGCS.

Incidentally, the wheel rims in the blue car have a mounting PCD (pitch circle diameter) of 139.7 mm (4.5 inches) on a 5 bolt configuration. The offset if I remember correctly is 0. The gypsy wheels will go on directly but they have a different offset which will change your track. Before you change your tyres, please PM me. I will guide you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st September 2015, 21:13   #27
BHPian

Re: Commander Project Preliminaries

I have only just come across this post. And it is just what I need. I am in the midst of upgrading my soft top 750DP 105, and have purchased the DI turbo from a Bolero Maxx pick up along with the 5+1 box. Is there anyone out there who has done a similar upgrade??? Are there any pitfalls that I need to watch out for?? Thinking of going the full way with replacing the axles as well so that I can get the advantage of the disc/drum brake setup. Would like also to use 17 in wheels instead of the 16 in ones. Waiting for replies ASAP before I get covered in grease or drop into hot water with this job. Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Commander Project Preliminaries-dsc02755.jpg  

Commander Project Preliminaries-dsc02752.jpg  

Commander Project Preliminaries-dsc02750.jpg  

Most Viewed