Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 18:21   #16
BHPian

NDMS in 7.50/16

Dear Headers,

great to know that you have used a NDMS with 7.50/16, are you sure of the size, as 7.50/16 are not available in the market,

Is it possible for you to take a closer picture of the same, with details of the manufacturer,

Sorry to jump in, My name is Vinay Thomas, I have a few CJ3B in my collection, Quite a few form the this forum know me & vice versa,

till then take care & best regards
Vinay thomas
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi guys,

My used '89 MM540 DP 4x4 came with some junk roadside tyres. The first step was to change the tyres as the footprint was important to me.

Got a set of 7.50 x 16 NDMS for my jeep. As I've heard from fellow jeepers that the 7.50 x 16 is great in any environment for the jeep.
Attachment 58642

Then started using the jeep for my factory use, which included a weekly run of almost 300 kms on pure tarmac road. The road presence of a jeep is superb with everyone and anyone giving way on the road. A load of 2 barrels filled with Diesel / oil made the jeep suspension soak up bumps like a car.

The major drawback came in from braking. Though it would not do speeds in excess of 60 kmph [self imposed limit], when an idiot runs across the road, it becomes imperitive to brake hard and the jeep / tyres fail to do justice to that situation.

Hence
Attachment 58643

This is my jeep with my used 215/75 R15 Pirelli Scorpion tyres on gypsy rims. This was just an experimental setup to explore the braking and handling of the jeep especially on tarmac.

Observations of the new avatar on my jeep. Take off and accelaration were better as the effective OD was smaller than the pervious setup. In gear accelaration was also brisk and made the jeep enjoyable to drive on the road.

The downside came in the form of a very hard steering. [These tyres were also excessively worn out and not uniform]

But braking had improved considerably and surprisingly the body roll increased too with broader tyres.

Drove the jeep in this guise for 2 weeks before changing back to NDMS setup.

Just thought of sharing this information with TBHP!
Old 13th October 2008, 20:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
All F1 cars have positive camber.
Hi Headers, I think you meant negative camber. F1 cars typically have noticeable negative camber on the front & little or no negative camber on the rear.

Postive camber can be seen on the inside wheels of NASCAR cars that run on oval tracks.
Old 13th October 2008, 23:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Here's the thing about rim offset.
Positive offset would "narrow down" your track.
Negative offset would "widen" your track.
It is NOT the other way round.
Exactly, I was wondering why BT was implying the reverse. I am actually thinking of switching to negative offset wheels to improve the track, but I want to understand all the cons before that.

BTW, Welcome to Team-BHP Vinay, it was high time.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th October 2008 at 23:11.
Old 14th October 2008, 02:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am actually thinking of switching to negative offset wheels to improve the track, but I want to understand all the cons before that.
I wish somebody who knew something about it (I do not) would start a thread specifically on handling to include offset, the addition of power steering to jeeps and such like.
Old 14th October 2008, 02:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Let me clarify a small point, if you look at the tread patterns on the NDMS tyre & compare it to the radial, you can immediately see that the contact patch of the radial is much better then the NDMS tyre. This would lead to better grip & performance in on-road conditions.

Whereas, the NDMS would perform better than the Radial tyre in off-road conditions.

Both the tyres are designed for different purposes & would perform to the best of their abilities in their respective conditions. Just my two cents.
Old 14th October 2008, 12:09   #21
BANNED

I was looking at negative offset along with spacers for the Classic, dropped the plan after i thought i might be straning the suspension on offroad conditions.

PS: Should we have a separate topic for this. Would be interesting.
Old 14th October 2008, 13:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Correction !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Here's the thing about rim offset.
Positive offset would "narrow down" your track.
Negative offset would "widen" your track.
It is NOT the other way round.
nitrous, thanks for correcting it : you are right . I guess I misunderstood the usage of the terms "positive" and "negative" when referring to the offset. I stand corrected.

The standard Gypsy rim has a more negative offset compared to the standard MM540 wheel rim.

But, what I said below holds good anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...When we replace the MM540 wheel rims with those of a Gypsy, we are in fact increasing the front track width.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 14th October 2008 at 13:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks