Team-BHP - Jeep Wheels query. Need help by tomorrow
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Jeep Wheels query. Need help by tomorrow (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/47998-jeep-wheels-query-need-help-tomorrow.html)

Hi I need urgent help regarding the wheels on my mm540. I got a great offer on a set of goodyear a/t ( size 205/80/r16) I need to know if these will fit on my stock jeep rims, if not then for how much could i get the rims that could accommodate these tyres ? I need urgent help on this as the person who is selling the tyres is holding them for me only till tomorrow.

EDIT: the stock jeep rims are 4.5J R16

I am not an expert on this, but I think you need atleast 5.5J for the 205 tyres to fit safely.

Another query: Will the safari/fj40/jonga stock steel wheels fit the mm540 ?(are they the same PCD ?)

@BlueThunder: Thanks for confirming that.

EDIT: Can the safari rims be modified to fit the mm540 if they are not a direct fit ?

4.5J is way too thin for 205's. I would advise against them unless you can find a 5.5 or 6J wheel.

Any idea what rims the matodor(f307) uses ?
The goodyear wranglers are tubeless (if that makes any difference)

1>The radial equivalent of 6x16NDMS are 185/70r16.Although am a little unsure about the profile on it being 70 or 80.
2>If you are fitting 205s then you are 20mm over the limit.I reckon if you can fit 7x16 NDMS on 4.5j rims then you can fit 205s also.
3> Or at least till you find wider rims.
4> However if they are shady imported ones then please stay away.
Cheers
jammy

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 (Post 1028792)
Any idea what rims the matodor(f307) uses ?
The goodyear wranglers are tubeless (if that makes any difference)

The tyres are definitely 205/80/r16. They are oe tyres of a tata TL. Is there a way I can get some kind of spacers fabricated to use 160pcd wheels on the jeep ? The wheels in question have a 5 hole pattern.

EDIT: The wheels are OE TATA TL/SAFARI steel wheels

I ran 205's on my MM540 on the stock rims before I did a 160 PCD conversion. I think you will be fine. I say go for it.

Vinod actually runs 265s on his stock MM540 rims. That maybe pushing it, but he has had no issues. 205s definitely are fine.

There is a whole thread on spacers. If you decide to go for it make sure you get quality ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1028867)
....Vinod actually runs 265s on his stock MM540 rims. That maybe pushing it, but he has had no issues. 205s definitely are fine......

mmmmmm... so it's a pretty common thing then. I have seen fellow gypsy drivers running 255's on their stock Gypsy rims (that is 5.5J) and I am planning 265 on stock gypsy rims too in future.

After an extensive discussion with 4x4addict over pm I have decided to get the tyres and use them on my stock rims. Atleast till i find wider rims. I will update by evening or tomorrow morning.
THANKS

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 (Post 1028716)
Hi I need urgent help regarding the wheels on my mm540. I got a great offer on a set of goodyear a/t ( size 205/80/r16) I need to know if these will fit on my stock jeep rims,

EDIT: the stock jeep rims are 4.5J R16

They will fit your stock rim
4.5J +/- 1" is the ideal tyre width.

Finalised the deal for the tyres. I am now looking for wider rims that can accommodate the same (in a tight budget) Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

@ ex670c : Can i use them as tubeless itself. I doubt the condition of the rims. Will using tubes in tubeless tyres have any adverse effects ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1028867)
I ran 205's on my MM540 on the stock rims before I did a 160 PCD conversion. I think you will be fine. I say go for it.

Vinod actually runs 265s on his stock MM540 rims. That maybe pushing it, but he has had no issues. 205s definitely are fine.

There is a whole thread on spacers. If you decide to go for it make sure you get quality ones.

hey mate. Can you please give a detailed explanation of how you converted to a 160 pcd, and was there any effect on the offroad ability of the jeep? i mean chances of breaking up???

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 (Post 1029265)
@ ex670c : Can i use them as tubeless itself. I doubt the condition of the rims. Will using tubes in tubeless tyres have any adverse effects ?

Tubeless is very advantageous for OTR vehicles.

But check the following
i) If the above tyre has been designed for tubeless application

ii) Remove your rims and get them primed and painted.

I would not suggest changing the PCD.

The JONGA has the same PCD as the JEEP but it is 6 bolt pattern (all Japanese 4WD have the same PCD and bolt pattern).

Using Tubes in a Tubless Tyres will have no adverse affect.

I changed the tyres on the 25th itself thanks to everyone for the support and advice. Even the tyre wallah said that the tyres would pose no problems on the existing rims. I am currently running with tubes as i am waiting for the tyre guy to get tubeless nozzles(i dont know what it is called, I am referring to thing you fill air in the tyre) which he dint have in stock, There is a tremendous difference in grip and ride over my previous nylons.