Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Hi 4x4addict, EGR seems to be not in working condition. why don't you make an effort in controlling the EGR in your vehicle?
I am trying to source the EGR set up. I didn't get one with the engine. Another engine has come up for sale and I am trying to buy the EGR set up.
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:02   #17
BHPian

Hi
Nice jeep.The DI turbo does have loads of torque. On the matter of the elephant charge. May I suggest you please give the animals right of way in side forests and highways that pass thru sanctuaries. Most of the time they do not charge without provocation. It is the assumption of the driver which results in tragic accidents. We have lost tigers,leopards and other wildlife when people have hit the panic button and sped on and crashed into the animals.
Having a little time in a similar situation with wild elephants,I would suggest that the next time , please keep the engine running and stop the jeep. The smell of burning fuel,the noise of the engine and very fact that the vehicle is stopped in a non threatening way will make the animal find a different path away from your jeep.
cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Off Topic:

But on my way back from Ooty to bangalore, I was chased by an elephant in Mudumalai wild life Sanctuary. It was a bit of a freak incident as I have driven though Mudumalai and Bandipur hundreds of times. I was driving through mudumalai and saw a wild elephant walking towards me in the opposite side of the road. This guy was actually on the tarred road on the right side of me. Since this was a tusker, I came to a stop while figuring out whether to back up or go straight. The problem was that there was a drop to the left and in case he decided to charge, I would have no where to go but drive the jeep off the side of the road. Anyways, I decided to gun for it. As I picked up speed a second elephant climbs up from the left embankment and gets completely startled and pissed of seeing a jeep coming stright for it. Thankfully I had cleared the first elephant who didn't seem to have any interest in me and was driving headlong at the second fella who decides to hop into my lane. All in a matter of seconds, I see it rolling up it's trunk to make the charge, I swerved right climbed had my two right wheels on the righ embankment and had my the accellerator floored. The damn thing chased me for about 15 to 20 meters before stopping.

Elephants in the Mudumali/Bandipur belt are so used to seeing so much traffic that they generally don't bother anyone. I think this time was just a freak situation where she came onto the road and see's me coming at her with the DI Turbo engine roaring away. I was just trying to put some distance between the tusker and myself. I really think the money spend on the DI Turbo engine payed off today. Took a while before my heart dropped back from my mouth to it's usual place. !!
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the jeep buddy. This really looks like a lots of detailed & painstakingly undertaken project and has come out very nicely.

Quote:
... The reason I haven't gone in for alloys is because I want Black Mickey Thompson style steel wheels. I have ordered a set of four form Ignazio's Tata offroad club in Italy and had them ship it to the states.. The PCD is the same for Tata and Scorpio. I just haven't been able to get them to India from the states, ...
Wow.!!! Mickey Thompson steel wheels.!! that would be great. But why ship to states and not directly to India?
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrider View Post
But, why so stubborn on the NGT 520. I mean , hell, you changed an engine over it!
I think its the 5 speed forward with 4wd! Congrats Tini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
One wonders if Mahindra will ever shake loose from its 1950s "mom and pop" road side shop mode of doing business and get parts out to where they are needed. If they perform this internationally they will be in for a rude awakening.
Well, they did wake up but the only word their dealers seem to know atleast here in Chennai is "SCORPIO". Those xxxes wont even sell me a bolero or least even let me TD one! Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
I would suggest that the next time , please keep the engine running and stop the jeep. The smell of burning fuel,the noise of the engine and very fact that the vehicle is stopped in a non threatening way will make the animal find a different path away from your jeep.
cheers
Jammy
Hi, but how many would actually do it. We are also scared of animals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wow.!!! Mickey Thompson steel wheels.!! that would be great. But why ship to states and not directly to India?
It would never reach India I guess!
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful MM540

Congrats, 4x4addict ! The MM540 has come out very well indeed, and you truly are addicted to 4x4 .
One of the few Mahindra jeeps where the nuts/bolts ( in the body/windshield area) are without any rust .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 22nd December 2008 at 10:21.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Since I was still in the states when the wheels where ready to ship. I had it send there. There is a bunch of stuff that I am planning to send from there including the winch, LSD, Billstiens, wheels and fender flares for the CJ. A friend of mine is moving back through Transfer of Residence through his company and they'll take care of all the customs formalities. So I am going to piggy back my stuff in his container.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

@4x4addict
Congratulations
A very nice and very clean Jeep. Now you would have to put lemon and green chillies so that "nazar na lage"

Also for the benefit of member like me who are in the process of getting their jeeps restored, please also share the indicative costs & procedure of the mods that you have done, especially like the LSD in front & free floating axles in the rear.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sir Alec & 4x4 Addict
I stand corrected on the wheel issue. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
Sudipto
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends:

The next big upgrade which I plan to do is a wrangler type hard top. I plan to get this done in Road and Track in Kottyam when I get there at the end of this month.
Thats an interesting mods! I really like the Wrngler hard top with its shape and the security reason. I was thinking of importing a original one if possible to install on a MM 540/550 without that much hassle?

Can awail here in used parts market with cheep price! I spoke to a Door to Door Cargo guy but he can't take it into Kerala. The second option is through sea cargo but if possible to install on 550

tks/sali
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Thats an interesting mods! I really like the Wrngler hard top with its shape and the security reason. I was thinking of importing a original one if possible to install on a MM 540/550 without that much hassle?

Can awail here in used parts market with cheep price! I spoke to a Door to Door Cargo guy but he can't take it into Kerala. The second option is through sea cargo but if possible to install on 550

tks/sali
I considered this but, I don't think it is an exact fit since the body dimensions were changed by Mahindra and do not match the original CJ. Since the CJ top is a fibreglass top, it will be an ugly affair if you have to cut and shorten or extend any part of it. I decided it wasn't worth the effort since a good fabricator can make it almost identicall to the OEM CJ hard top.
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Congrats, 4x4addict ! The MM540 has come out very well indeed, and you truly are addicted to 4x4 .
One of the few Mahindra jeeps where the nuts/bolts ( in the body/windshield area) are without any rust .
Guess you haven't seen my jeep lately . Six monthly in the salty chennai air has resulted in rust on the nuts/bolts. I have to plate them again. Planning to do that with the hard top and repainting.
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice Jeep ,4x4addict. Have you done any strengthening of the chassis?
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:25   #28
BANNED

Nice. Another one bites the dust.

Where did you get the engine transplant done? MM folks?

Change those tyres before you take it offroad.
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Please post some pictures of the interior, especially the back seat.

So what is the story about the gear lever? trouble sourcing it from Mahindra?

FK
Apparently due to the limited number of 4x4 vehicles sold, they don't have any 4x4 transfer case levers in stock !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

How exactly did you get propellers modded to the right length?

-DD
Required a lot of cutting and welding. Weld points have to be really strong since it has to take the stress in heaving offroading conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Nice Jeep ,4x4addict. Have you done any strengthening of the chassis?
No I haven't. Guess, if I had put in a scorpio engine, I may have to do it. But the Turbo DI isn't exactly a performance engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Where did you get the engine transplant done? MM folks?
Done by Ali in chennai. Many of the Jeepthrills guys use the same shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Change those tyres before you take it offroad.
Tires are Yokohama All Terrains tires. I considered mud terrains but the on-road ride is too harsh with Mud Terrains. Guess I will need to use a winch to make up for lack of Mud Terrains.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi 4x4 addict,
So finally nice to see your making of legend post here. Your jeep is wonderful. Congratulations. Sorry i couldnt make it the other day...missed taking a ride in your jeep. Theres always next time, with 4wd ofcourse!!!

What about 4wd lever, did M&M guys arrange that for you?

with regards

vinod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks