Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 09:29   #61
Senior - BHPian

All intercoolers that I have seen are mounted around the radiator and fan to take advantage of outside air flow. I have seen air tube lengths of 1.5 meters or so but this was with bigger, more powerful turbos. The air tubes themselves are "risk areas". Even in factory builds air tubes have been known to blow off with some regularity. The clamps holding them on sometimes give way. Ford had a problem with this and they had to quick fab better hoses and clamps in a big factory recall just a few years ago. I hope this position works out okay for you.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:31   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't think it makes sense to install the intercooler in the front as the turbo hose will become too long to the intercooler and back resulting in reduced efficiency of the turbo.
In the Bolero CRDe its located behind the front bumper.

Quote:
The best place in my opinion is to have it on top of the engine and cut the hood to make space for air to hit the intercooler from the top.
As in the Scorpio mHawk. And i too think thats the best location for it.

Pic taken from autoalgeria.com
Attached Thumbnails
Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-bolero.jpg  

Old 24th December 2008, 11:58   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
In the Bolero CRDe its located behind the front bumper.

As in the Scorpio mHawk. And i too think thats the best location for it.

Pic taken from autoalgeria.com
Yes, this is how it is in the older Scorpio crde. later it was placed below the hood which will cut short the length of air hose and more effecient than the earlier design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
1. What potential gains are you expecting out of adding a intercooler?
Basically it reduces the NOx emissions. The formation of NOx is due to the excessive oxygen which reacts with the nitrogen at peak temperature. The main purpose of cooling the intake air is to increase the density of oxygen for neat combustion and also to decrease the peak temperature which causes the NOx formation. In fact EGR also comes with EGR cooler.
Old 24th December 2008, 21:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

My point of interest is the following:

1. What potential gains are you expecting out of adding a intercooler?

2. How do you plan to increase fuel supply. If the air is cooler, then the density increases, but so must the fuel to maintain the A/F Ratio. Do you plan to add any sensors?

3. The DI turbo does not have an ECU, right? So how do you plan to read the engine and its inputs.
An intercooler by itself is not going give any appreciable power coupled with the existing small stock turbo, methinks. But lets say he is thinking of installing a bigger turbo. This delivers more air. Can he easily turn up the fuel pump on a mdi3200tc to deliver more fuel? If so, he could use a pyrometer to measure exhaust gas temperature. Pyrometer sensors and gages are readily available at least outside India. There is a threshold temperature that will tell him if his fuel to air ratio is too high, 'ay? (If its too high combustion will be too hot and he may damage the engine or melt the turbo. Not good things.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
In the Bolero CRDe its [intercooler] located behind the front bumper.
As in the Scorpio mHawk.
Good info.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 24th December 2008 at 21:12.
Old 25th December 2008, 00:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

sorry for the late post....

Congratulations 4x4 addict on owning a nice set of 4x4 in shape of MM540.

hope to see what your jeep looks like after your stuff arrives from yankee land.

happy jeeping!

cheers:
Old 25th December 2008, 00:10   #66
BHPian

Hello Tini,

Can you share some more details about PCD modifications? Did you alter the drum or replaced it with Scorpio ones. I heard that Scorpio Drums are direct fit, but i am not sure.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 26th December 2008, 06:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

^He has fitted the Scorpio drums : I dont know if they are a direct fit though ?
Old 26th December 2008, 15:26   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi 4X4,

How the A/C works in a softtop jeep? Does the cooling effect at the back side too? From where do you source the A/c? Brand new or from another vehicle? How much the cost. Please post some interior pics as well.
The soft-top has various leaks at the sides and the back. If you plan to retain the soft top, you can screw in an aluminum beading along the edge of the soft top and that will hold the air in the sides. The flap at the back will have to be redone. See the attached picture which Sha has posted about the munnar off road trip. You will notice a similar set up on the mm540 I circled.

Since I am planning to add a hard top, I didn't do anything about the leaks, but I have a 507 Sandem compressor with the Unicla blower set up and it is freezing even at the low settings. Many times I have to turn the compressor off to prevent getting frozen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello Tini,

Can you share some more details about PCD modifications? Did you alter the drum or replaced it with Scorpio ones. I heard that Scorpio Drums are direct fit, but i am not sure.

Thanks
--Sree--
Sree, you need to change the front and rear hubs with that of the 4x4 Bolero. The PCD is same as the scropio. In my case I was doing a disc brake conversion and I had to buy new front hubs, so I decided go with the Bolero hubs and replace the rear as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-munnar_otrmm540.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 26th December 2008 at 15:35.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:31   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@4x4addict
Also for the benefit of member like me who are in the process of getting their jeeps restored, please also share the indicative costs & procedure of the mods that you have done, especially like the LSD in front & free floating axles in the rear.
Harjeev:

I don't have LSD in front. Only free wheeling hubs which cost about 3000 rupees. It's a bolt on fit. No modifications necessary. Regarding the free floating hubs, I haven't settled with the parts guy yet since I he has still not provided the key part, my 4x4 lever yet. I can add the detail project cost later. All I can tell you now is that the DI engine and 5 speed gearbox itself cost an arm and a leg.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:06   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
but I have a 507 Sandem compressor with the Unicla blower set up and it is freezing even at the low settings.
Hi

From Did you bought this compressor, Indian made or imported, How much the cost?

thanks

sali
Old 27th December 2008, 16:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi

From Did you bought this compressor, Indian made or imported, How much the cost?

thanks

sali
These are available locally. The 507 comp with the superking blower is the most popular option for aftermarket Ac fitment on ambys etc. A New entire set should cost about 20-22k.
Old 27th December 2008, 18:14   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
These are available locally. The 507 comp with the superking blower is the most popular option for aftermarket Ac fitment on ambys etc. A New entire set should cost about 20-22k.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply. One more question, I got a compressor ready with me which has got removed from a Camry car. If I bring the same to India can I install it on a Jeep? What are other things which we need for the installation?

Also I got one Power steering pump, which cost me only SR 65 (700 rupees) I don't know what are the other components included for a PS. Which was removed from the same Camry car and was fitted with the car engine. Can I install the same on the jeep? My question becasue I saw few jeeps here with the PS fitted on bumper outside the jeep.

tks/sali
Old 8th June 2009, 15:58   #73

Hi: To have power steering thrown in, I am sure you had to change the suspension first. What did you use? I shall post some pictures of an MM 540 I have modified. Paul
Old 16th July 2010, 10:23   #74

Hi, Very nicely done jeep and it looks like you have concentrated on almost each section of it. I am building a jeep at the moment and need some help here and there.

I am actually converting a MM550 NGCS chasis to a Jeep Wrangler - JK with an automatic gear box. I am looking for a fibre kit of Jeep Wrangler JK, that should have the front grill, the front fenders, front and rear fender flairs. In case you know who has this or has done this already, please guide me.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:49   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Folks,

Thought I would give an update on what's some stuff that has gone into my 540 since the last set up upgrades.

1) Hard Top
2) A/C
3) Power Steering from Bolero 4x4 (Thanks to Jyoeb)
4) Auburn Gear LSD Front and Rack
5) Bilstien Gas Shocks.
6) Bolero OKBJ Front and Bolero Rear axles.
7) Euro Spec Wrangler Tail Lights
8) Snorkel
9) Fender Extensions (Thanks to fazalbhai)
10) Sliders with Body mount extensions on them (Arka's advice)
11) Fixed windshield (Better vision and no leaks unlike the opening type).

And now the sad part is that I am don't use it that often. Some on has made me a decent offer so I am in a dilemma what to do....
Attached Thumbnails
Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-tmmm54002.jpg  

Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-tmmm54001.jpg  

Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-tmmm54003.jpg  

Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-tmmm54004.jpg  

Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-tmmm54005.jpg  

Making of Legend.. My MM540 Mods-powersteering.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 1st September 2010 at 21:52.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks