Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 02:53   #1
BHPian

Jeep under 1 lakh and a good off-roader!!

Hey.

I was wondering which Jeep/Truck/ Diesel vehicle with a good clearance is available for around a lakh.

Thats my budget as i visit india only once a year and in the next 2 years plan on doing some serious tripping in Sikkim, Uttaranchal, well you get the point the himalayas. this trip will start in goa as i will depart from there so i need something that can last the distance.

Now I'm not looking for a vehicle which can climb mount everest...something which can get me around to these cities. I am aware that the roads are not suitable for cars.

I am aware of rail and air but by road i can explore the place myself without the need of a meter running. Also the beauty i will encounter along the way.

I've been thinking about some jeeps/ trucks. such as the Tata Sierra or a Tempo Trax or even a Maruti gypsy.

I have read the threads about Mayapuri but i do not have a month to register a jeep. thats my time to move around.

I have read about the reliability issues about the sierra. ive done my research as far as what you guys feel in respect to the pros n cons of certain vehicles.

But i just need something that

if it breaks down can be easily repaired
and has atleast a good service network in india incase of major repairs.

Also if anyone is selling their Sierra or gypsy or a jeep doesnt matter which year...just that it should be in good working condition. and no problems in registration.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

After reading, your purpose and time contraints I think if you go for low budget (as you said 1lakh) I'm sure the vehicle may have penty of issues to address.

All of these vehicles in good condition fetch 2Lakh and above, hence getting one in half of its market price may have diffinite need for complete overhaul. Sometimes these restoration/overhauling may take longer than you think (2-6 months).

Hence, There are 2 options:

1. Buy a decent budget good quality vehicle (Gypsy, Jeep, Sierra, Bolero)

2. Use public transport which will diffinetely not going to take your meter running as it will turn out cheaper than your personal transport. (Bus, Train, Flight)

Service Network:

I don't think for the above vehicles except Maruti Gypsy or Sierra there is any Service network available. Even if Maruti Gypsy or TATA Sierra is opted, the availability of parts for these vehicles in their own service station is a question as they are not mass selling or sold items. So you may end up waiting for long time(month?) on the service station.

Hence, you need to carry the maximum possible tools and parts if you opt one of them. So atleast the service guys can perform the repair immideatly without waiting for the parts to come. In my opinion:

1. Carburator service kit
2. Coolant tank tubes
3. Radiator tubes
3. Break items
4. Clutch, Break, Speedo cables
5. atleast 1 or 2 tubes for the tyre
6. Air filter
7. Spark plugs
9. Fuel line tubes

are the minimum requirement for a Gypsy to roll on the terrain. But be reminded the Gypsies are not so good in fuel economy as it runs with petrol and estimate Rs.51/per liter and 9-10kmpl avarage. This will give you some rough idea of your total fuel estimation for you trip if you know the actual or approximate travel distance.

Any service related expenses will be added extra. If you are planning to travel alone and ok to stay in the gypsy or the vehicle you travel, you can save some amount from you accomodation bills too

PS: Please check market place forum in TBHP where I have posted a sale notice for a Maruti Gypsy 1991 carburator model with only 31,000 genuine odo reading. It is unopened engine, if you want get it touch with me over PM. This vehicle comes with all papers intact and drivable immediately. However it is located deep south(Chennai aka. Madras) of India.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2009 at 09:08. Reason: removed excessive message quote
Old 27th March 2009, 08:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Buy an antique qualis or a sumo. Be prepared for more than twice the budget. What you're expecting is honestly unrealistic - you'd wipe out any savings in buying cheap if your car screws up in say sikkim higher reaches.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your budget and your needs, I would suggest go in for a gypsy or a trax [really tough] and I am not talking about the gurkha and judo, the regular trax with a non turbo 616 engine. they are cheap in the market and once work is done they will run for ever,any road side mechanic can handle work, plus they are more comfortable to drive on long routes, drink diesel so cheap to run compared to gypsy.
Any M&M vehicle at your budget, will not be reliable piece [will need a lot of work], comfort is not that good in the older vehicles [since you'll be traveling a lot that has to be considered] , bolero is a comfortable vehicle but, will not come in your budget.

Last edited by dinar : 27th March 2009 at 09:11.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

1Lakh is too low a budget to buy a vehicle to take you on such a journey across india!

double or increase your budget to buy a vehicle in a good condition and with trouble free journey with peace of mind! 2.5-3 lakhs is a good budget to buy an used vehicle for that purpose.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hiring a Jeep with driver for a month would be lot cheaper and hassle free.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@ronald: what you are asking for may have been possible some 5-6 years ago but these days NO WAY.

If that were possible, there would be far more jeeps/etc running on the roads these days.
Old 27th March 2009, 12:11   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to that. You visit India only once a year, better to rent an SUV / MUV than buy one. You'd be hard-pressed to pick a reliable UV - for your purposes - under a lakh. RENT!
Old 27th March 2009, 12:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The best option, IMHO.

Since you visit once a year, having the worries of if the vehicle, which you might get at this budget, will break down or not and when, is the last thing you want in your mind.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

You'll get jeeps as well as gypsies in Jaipur for under 1 lakh. They would be running but all won't be in good condition. For upto 1.5 you can get something good which will serve your purpose (buying around 1 lakhs and then spending another 20 to 50K on it). But you'll have to hunt for them.

Price in Jaipur are comparatively cheep as there is not much awareness about off-road or 4x4.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

This is seriously one of the very few times I have been inclined to agree with Samurai. though I don't talk about it much. but this time I agree and I agree and How!!!

Samurai! Hats off. you are lucid ..
Old 28th March 2009, 23:39   #12
BHPian

I would look at a spacio.
1. can be repaired anywhere.
2. real cheap secondhand.
3. engine once done lasts atleast 3 lakh km.

I know one spacio which went on to 8 lakh km before an engine rebuild.

cheers
vishwas
Old 30th March 2009, 09:34   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. Yea i guess 1 lakh is not going to cut it anymore. I usually come to india and i've got an 800 my dad's got as a spare. but thats more of a city car.

I am thinking more on the lines of a gypsy. Even if it costs me close to 2 lakhs. Fuel is not really a problem. I am aware of its mileage of around 8-10kpl. I would prefer a petrol UV as it would not need to be used everyday to keep it alive. compared to the old diesels.

I have seen the jeeps you guys possess. they are amazing. i wish i could do what you guys do. unfortunately i am limited to planned holidays and where i am, cars like the vw Sirocco, Alfa Brera, Honda Civic type R, are the hot cars.

Thank you all for your input. i Will choose between the gypsy and the indian railways.
Old 1st April 2009, 20:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyer_made View Post
This is seriously one of the very few times I have been inclined to agree with Samurai. though I don't talk about it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldfurtado View Post
I have seen the jeeps you guys possess. they are amazing. i wish i could do what you guys do.
That is the result of many months of toil, research and money to bring the Jeep to shape after buying it. If you have only a month per year this is not something you can even consider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks