Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 19:42   #1
BHPian

Willys cj3b; Help Required

To the Jeep Gurus in this Forum,

I need some advice on a 1962 WILLYS cj3b that I have identified.
The vehicle is in good running condition with the petrol hurricane engine (thats how i wanted it to be). Papers are in proper shape. The vehicle has been converted to RHD and lots of small stuff like the meters, switchgear, etc has been changed from original to later model Mahindras'. I have verified the engine number from "cj3b page" and it seems to be in the order. The Vehicle was originally used by state govt. forest deptt. Slowly but surely, I want to get this piece, back to it's original condition.

The vehicle DOES NOT have 4x4, but I was also able to identify a 1964 willys cj3b as the donor vehicle for the transfer case and front connecting rod/drive shaft(excuse me for the nomenclature, I am still not familiar with the correct technical words).

The rear differential seems to be out of place. If I am facing the back-side of the vehicle, the differential housing should be offset to the right, but for this vehicle it was offset to the left. I am sure that the connecting rod is also changed to a locally prepared one. Can the gurus here check the snaps and confirm my observation.

Questions:
1. I don't think this is the correct axle/differential. Is my doubt correct? If so, which vehicle's differential is this?
2. Can I put in the transfer case with the same differential doing duty for Offroad. Will I need to get a different connecting rod.
3. What should be the ideal set of parts and way to get this monster back running on all 4s.(should I also be looking for a rear differential in my parts list)
4. Does anything else look out of place from the snaps.
5. There is a small black pipe coming out of the transmission. What is that?

UBS Sir, help

Thanks in advance
Amresh
Attached Thumbnails
Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4028.jpg  

Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4029.jpg  

Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4031.jpg  

Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4032.jpg  

Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4033.jpg  

Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4043.jpg  

Willys cj3b; Help Required-dscn4037.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 28th April 2009, 10:54   #2
BHPian

1) Looks like the stock axle, only the side tubes have been taken out and changed to the other side. You can get it reverted back.(here they take Rs500 for doing that).

2) yes you can, just get the rear axle changed to the stock sides. You would have to use the stock size drive shaft.

3) thats a very difficult question to answer. Normally if you don't touch anything, i runs all fine, but the moment you open up things, you just keep on discovering new things that need to get repaired,etc.

4) pic 3 ,fuel tank placed towards the rear(it should be under the drivers seat, that is on the LHD jeep).

5) speedo cable
Old 28th April 2009, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Amresh,

Don't take another CJ3B as donor vehicle. May be some one else may wanted to restore that too.

What you are looking for is a drive shaft and gearbox with transfer case.

The drive shafts are available brand new from the Mahindra Dealers. Please don't think of going for older ones even if you thinking of saving few hundreds.

The newer MSL drive shafts comes with the star connetors and they are fresh. If you buy a old one, the yoke would have worn out condition and you may need to do little bit of lathe work and change the star connector etc. Which will lead you almost equal or sometime higher than the brand new one. So act smartly and don't ever buy second hand. Let the second hand vendors to scrap them out.

with regards to the gearbox/transfer case, if you are looking for a 3 forward speed old Willys or Mahindra gearbox with transfercase I can help you sourcing them for below Rs.4000 in exchange to your old gear box.

And please remember to use only new items wherever it is possible, forget going to gujjiri and I'm sure slowly you will realize what you have done is worth your efforts.

Visiting the Shivaji nagar or Pudupet in chennai only make you wallet getting weight loss achivement.

For all who restore your jeeps, please please please don't think of second hand used items for all your jeep parts. Get the jeep serviced completely at the first attempt so the jeep works like Jeep not as Donkey.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:54   #4
BHPian

Brutus:

Thanks for your inputs. Never thought it was possible to just interchange the axle tubes vice-versa. Anyway thats a valuable input and now I know what to ask the mechanic to do.

Thanks for pointing out the other things. I know the fuel tank is not in the correct place and that item is in the to-do list for me.

Trammway:

The idea behind going for parts from a donor vehcile was not to save a few bucks but more to do with having the original parts of a Willys to be able to get an original vehicle
The idea of putting Mahindra parts did cross my mind, but 2 things I was not sure of.
1. Availibility of off-the-counter stock replacement parts from Mahindra.
2. The gear ratios of transfer case for mahindra SWB(diesel), are they the same as for a Hurricane petrol Willys.

that is the reason I thought it would be safer to pick the part from another vehicle of the same kind. As for the donor vehicle, only the chassis, steering, transfer case and transmission are there. The body tub is gone and the mechanic is more interested in giving off the parts piece-meal.

As for your offer of the transfer case in under rs 4000/-. I would really be interested. I have sent you a PM regarding this.

thanks
Amresh
Old 29th April 2009, 08:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Bikram (Brutus) - I would like to differ from your opinion on the axle tubes, these are aligned in a fixture and then puddle welded in the plant, this must never be removed, if done, the axle will get spoilt. A "lathe" fellow cannot do such things, 500 rupees not withstanding. Please stay away from such actions. This vehicle is a 4WD which has been brutally axed in unlikely areas and a 2WD axle is fitted. Look at the exhaust pipes. It is a joke. The engine will not work properly with such a "contraption" fitted. I can only wonder why people do these nonsensical things. Obviously the answer is lack of knowledge and the opportunity to make a fast buck.

Dear Amresh - I would suggest you to buy this Jeep at a low price and then go about doing things properly. Shortcuts will not work. Otherwise please invest your money wisely and buy a good vehicle. Please DO NOT take any hasty actions, or you will regret it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th April 2009, 13:28   #6
BHPian

You are right about that but this same procedure is followed by ppl abroad too for cutting up their axles to custom width. Even here is punjab its a very common job.The welding job is a very valid point, but the rest depends upon how the welder does his job, and how good the mechanic is, though in India your point of lack of knowledge is very true indeed.
Old 1st May 2009, 03:47   #7
BHPian

Hello Amresh,
I am glad your pm, has brought me back to T-BHP after a long time.
Things are quite different in the forum, as many new catagories are opened.
I shall surely make an honest assessment of the questions raised by you and reply with all possible details known to me.
Please allow me to study the jeep chassis pics, and if possible post a few pics of the body too for better guidance. The chassis and the lower parts surely are in good shape and justify the 1962 model as the front diff is a Dana 25. Unfortunately the right hand conversion has lowered the academic value of the legend.
The rear diff. is original but modified for the direct drive as reqd for the 4X2 setup. The other mods such as the exhaust line, fuel tank, steering systen, brake lines and gearbox transfercase, cross member and the necessary propellor shafts can be easily rectified/sourced.
What worries me is the removal of the tubelar front cross member, a bench mark of the Willys design. It is very hard to source and replace, but nothing is impossible my friend.
Please refrain from using another '64 Willys Jeep as a donor, and I promise to get you every original thing/parts reqd. for restoration at a very cheap price from the Calcutta market. All within say 14 to 15 K.
All the best for now,
yours................................... UBS
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:20   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot UBS sir for your thoughtful insights.

I will take your advice and not consider the donor vehicle for parts. I can understand your feelings about the RHD conversion. I feel the same about it.

I have some more pics, but unfortunately, not many of the body, etc. Anyway I'll post whatever I have and you can have a look.

Warm regards
Amresh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks