Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 19:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Don't the Indian forces on UN missions also use white MM550s?
Old 11th September 2009, 20:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
.... I think it is okay to use a second hand one from Mayapuri since the mechanism is very basic. Basically sits between the oil filter and engine block and has a pipe to let the coolant pass through it.
You do not have to confine yourself even to Mahindra on this. Any oil cooler that fits will do.

If it were me though, my first thoughts about cooling would center around the acquisition of a larger radiator for better overall engine cooling. Just a thought.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:42   #33
BHPian

My 2004 MM550AWD

Gentlemen,

I my 2004 MM550AWD had served in the 11FOD Bhatinda, Punjab. This was acquired by a Mayapuri dealer who in turn sold it to a Hyderabad chap. It was driven from N.D to Hyderabad. The Rims are original rims from the Army. Nothing has been done to it ever. The vehicle must have overturned and the body damaged - I assume but nothing seems to show when driving it. The gearbox is KMT90 4 spd. The bodyline is clean and there is no trace of rust anywhere except in the door tops on the driver side (minor surface rust) The vehicle is surely repainted.

The small irritants like fixing of indictor grilles and reverse lamps, hand brake lever and floor mats have to be carried out. The Alternator had to be repaired and a few oil seals were replaced.

Thanks,

Sateesh
Old 15th September 2009, 10:55   #34
BHPian

My 2004 MM550AWD

Gentlemen,

I my 2004 MM550AWD had served in the 11FOD Bhatinda, Punjab. This was acquired by a Mayapuri dealer who in turn sold it to a Hyderabad chap. It was driven from N.D to Hyderabad. The Rims are original rims from the Army. Nothing has been done to it ever. The vehicle must have overturned and the body damaged - I assume but nothing seems to show when driving it. The gearbox is KMT90 4 spd. The bodyline is clean and there is no trace of rust anywhere except in the door tops on the driver side (minor surface rust) The vehicle is surely repainted.

The small irritants like fixing of indictor grilles and reverse lamps, hand brake lever and floor mats have to be carried out. The Alternator had to be repaired and a few oil seals were replaced.

Thanks,

Sateesh
Old 15th September 2009, 11:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Master uio,
What ever the history of vehicle might be you have a neat looking piece at the end of it. So many questions wouldnt have been asked if this wasnt a NGCS MM550. As you said since there is no difference in driving experience and body line is clear theres no point why you shouldnt have taken this vehicle.

Happy 4wdriving. Do use it off road and give us reports as many of us are waiting to lay our hands on it.

p.s- How much did you pay for it? change to new tyres. Your vehicle will look brand new out of factory:-) By the way your vehicle is MM550 NGCS 4wd (part time) and not AWD. AWD generally is the term used for full time 4wd's without low ratio.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th September 2009 at 11:29.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sateesh, Thanks for clearing up the ex Army issue. I think this thread will get very popular as its the first NGCS on the forum.

What was the original color of this Vehicle? were you able to see that in some corner of the vehicle.

Just saw a Military Police White NGCS 550 few days back. That however did have the wheel with the set of 2 holes close together.

I think this is a Scorpio Wheel. An easy switch considering these are 160pcd now.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations

Hi Satheesh,

You have a very special MM550XD there.

Please do post pictures of the under chassis, front axle/Rear Axle and steering box.

Congratulations once again, hope to see you at the OTRs.

Regards,

Arka
Old 15th September 2009, 17:55   #38
BHPian

Hi Guys,

From which year onward this NGCS rolled out and what are the major difference between an NGCS and older version of 550?

thanks,
Sadiq.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:17   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Salikt:

I think it is 2004. Is say this because there is a 2003 MM540 in Kottayam and it doesn't have the NGCS. The 2004 model in this thread does have it. Hence I am guessing it is 2004.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:59   #40
BHPian

2004 Ngcs

Gentlemen,

Firstly I would like to thank you all for the knowledge imparted to me to acquire this Jeep. In particular Rohan (Jeep George) and UBS Sir for their special efforts and time.

The Rims could be Scorpio Rims - but how can they accept the MRF Sand Grip / Apollo Bullet Tyres which I have on them.

Are Scorpio Rims and Army Rims of the same Dia? The chap who sold me the vehicle insists they are OE but I do not know better and agree that they could be Scorpio Rims or this particular vehicle got these supplied as OE at that time. Mahindra as per the Hyderbad dealer Automotive Manufacturers is known to change specs frequently.

I am sure more and more better vehicles not involved in accidents will come out in due course and more of us can enjoy the same and share our experiences.

Sateesh
Old 16th September 2009, 12:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Forget past enjoy present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by master uio View Post
Gentlemen,

The Rims could be Scorpio Rims - but how can they accept the MRF Sand Grip / Apollo Bullet Tyres which I have on them.

Are Scorpio Rims and Army Rims of the same Dia?
Sateesh
Sateesh,
Yes Scorpio rims can accept 7.50 tyres and has the same dia as the wheel rim size is 16 inches. As confirmed by Behram sir, there could be a possibility that this is a OE fitment. Anyway rims is not the issue.

Please post broad day light pics of your vehicle. Love to look at NGCS MM550, it is just too beautiful!! As i said forget about its history enjoy present. Plug all oil leaks and align the wheels as i see inner thread wear on Rh front wheel.

Please give your ownership reports. BTW when i was novice to jeeps (which still iam) my first MM540 was an accidental vehicle and had damage on front Rh chassis. didnt notice while buying it. But never had problems with handling, tyre wear etc etc. This could just be your case.

Now please post some more pics
Old 16th September 2009, 13:17   #42
BHPian

Although i don't know what rims are used in the Army MM550, but there could be 2 types of them hence both ppl, the ones who say it's an Scorpio rim or the ones who say Commander, may be right. If you look close enough, there are 2 designs used on the MM550. There are these holes on the rim, just to make them lighter, although its adapted to the design itself. ! type of them has each hole placed from the other at a certain distance, whereas the other has holes in pairs placed at a certain distance from each other.So it might be using both the Scorpio and Commander units.

As for the White colour, Guys you'll be surprised its most commonly associated to RAW, Army intelligence. Both the Jeeps and the Gypsys come in the white colour (but with to full military accessories) to differentiate it from the normal military jeeps so that the ppl being watched over don't come to know it's military origin, and SOMEHOW, those guys manage to think just b'coz their vehicles are painted white, they can fool the normal Junta as they won't be able to make out anything looking at the Military accessories. Now where have i heard something exactly like this??? Oh yeah, its like the Ostrich digs its head into the sand (but the rest of its body above the ground) when it sences danger, thinking that the predator cannot see it. Wow, this is something we can actually expect in India. As always, its again a case of higher up officials messing up with their stupidity and the junior officers paying the price by working twice as hard to gain any good at all.
The Army Medical Corps have now by far started using a Dark OG coloured Mahindra Pick-up, complete with the DI motor, but with this operation theater built into its pick-up bed as their primary small ambulance. For the bigger ones, they're using a 3-tonner Swaraj Mazda truck with those huge 44" sand tires. These Ambulances are the only vehicles in the Army that are bought from Swaraj Mazda, and no other truck, though the same trucks are very commonly used by the B.S.F. and other paramilitary forces, and so are the Tata 407 4X4 trucks.
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2009, 14:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Although i don't know what rims are used in the Army MM550, but there could be 2 types of them hence both ppl, the ones who say it's an Scorpio rim or the ones who say Commander, may be right. If you look close enough, there are 2 designs used on the MM550. There are these holes on the rim, just to make them lighter, although its adapted to the design itself. ! type of them has each hole placed from the other at a certain distance, whereas the other has holes in pairs placed at a certain distance from each other.So it might be using both the Scorpio and Commander units.

As for the White colour, Guys you'll be surprised its most commonly associated to RAW, Army intelligence. Both the Jeeps and the Gypsys come in the white colour (but with to full military accessories) to differentiate it from the normal military jeeps so that the ppl being watched over don't come to know it's military origin, and SOMEHOW, those guys manage to think just b'coz their vehicles are painted white, they can fool the normal Junta as they won't be able to make out anything looking at the Military accessories. Now where have i heard something exactly like this??? Oh yeah, its like the Ostrich digs its head into the sand (but the rest of its body above the ground) when it sences danger, thinking that the predator cannot see it. Wow, this is something we can actually expect in India. As always, its again a case of higher up officials messing up with their stupidity and the junior officers paying the price by working twice as hard to gain any good at all.
The Army Medical Corps have now by far started using a Dark OG coloured Mahindra Pick-up, complete with the DI motor, but with this operation theater built into its pick-up bed as their primary small ambulance. For the bigger ones, they're using a 3-tonner Swaraj Mazda truck with those huge 44" sand tires. These Ambulances are the only vehicles in the Army that are bought from Swaraj Mazda, and no other truck, though the same trucks are very commonly used by the B.S.F. and other paramilitary forces, and so are the Tata 407 4X4 trucks.
Hi Bikram ,

From where you get all this info? Hats off to you. BTW the TATA 407 comes in 4X4 option? I have seen Tatra yesterday. Its Huge.

Tarkesh

Last edited by Ricky_3007 : 16th September 2009 at 14:40.
Old 17th September 2009, 06:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Bikram ,

From where you get all this info? Hats off to you. BTW the TATA 407 comes in 4X4 option? I have seen Tatra yesterday. Its Huge.

Tarkesh
Bikram has alot of relatives serving in the Army. Even his younger brother has also joined the forces. So trust his info.

Bikram you rock buddy. I was more than impressed by your post on the CJ3b evolution in another thread. Keep it up.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

According to 4x4addict master uio has found the first ever civilian MM550 with the New Generation Chasis.
pardon my ignorance but can somebody highlight the reason why this chassis is now called New Generation Chasis. What're the changes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks