Team-BHP - My CJ 3B
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   My CJ 3B (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/68342-my-cj-3b.html)

Hi Everyone

I just acquired a 1967 Willys 3JCB, LHD & 4WD last month.

I am attaching the pictures.

Initial thoughts welcome.....

Regards

Amrit

Congrads buddy, nice buy hope it still has the petrol engine.
Love the looks of the original steering wheel, hand brake and the indicator lamps.

There is a fellow by the name of U.B.Singh who lives not too far from you who you may want to talk to. He is a member of this site. The rumor is that he knows a little bit about these jeeps. It's a pretty strong rumor. His Team-Bhp handle is also
U.B.Singh

Nice looking little beastie for a 1967. What motor, tranny etc do you have?

@Amrit,
thats an exquisite piece, lucky you. However get rid of those seats, not going well with such an ethnic beauty :D(are these from contessa by any chance?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 1556447)
There is a fellow by the name of U.B.Singh who lives not too far from you who you may want to talk to. .....

I have a feeling he is already well acquainted with UBS. Staying in kolkata, recent acquisition of an LHD CJ3b and not knowing about UBS don't seem to be in place:)
-regards,

Congrats Amrit for the new purchase. The Jeep looks nice. It seems to be soewhere in North Calcutta..is it? Its great people getting more and more 4x4s. Hope to see you shortly in OTRs with your jeep ready.Best of luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandisa (Post 1556574)
@Amrit,
I have a feeling he is already well acquainted with UBS. Staying in kolkata, recent acquisition of an LHD CJ3b and not knowing about UBS don't seem to be in place:)
-regards,

Well I can surely say he knows him as its obvious to get his advice and more of his help to buy such a nice vintage :)

wow well maintained and probably a jeep in running condition after so many years.

I saw few in my last visit to yearcaud

Quote:

There is a fellow by the name of U.B.Singh who lives not too far from you who you may want to talk to. He is a member of this site. The rumor is that he knows a little bit about these jeeps. It's a pretty strong rumor. His Team-Bhp handle is also
U.B.Singh

DD - You!! Poor guy Amrit, please dont make him walk upto UBS and ask "do you what is parked behind me. I heard you know 'something' about these Jeeps"
lol:

For all I know, How can there be something so stock in his backyard and UBS not know of...? Amrit, please tell us there is a 'link' between UBS and this Jeep.

Of course - Under Hood and Under-chassis pics please.

I wonder what happened to the groove on the side of the hood just above the logo.

Cogratulations on the Great find Amrit !! As DD has already mentioned UBS, look no further for guidance on bringing with beauty back to its old glory.

Apart from the Groove on the hood that JeepMkd pointed out, another thing that I noticed is that the single composite meter used in 1960's 3B's have been replaced with some aftermarket replacement, two additional hole have been cut into the dash to place rest of the meters. Also the hand brake lever is not like what I have seen on 3B's (Seniors can comment on that)

Tail gate has been modified from drop down to swing away type. The spare wheel mount is also shifted to the tail gate. Can anybody confirm if foldaway kind pipe super structure came as standard on 3B's, since the body tub has brackets attached for normal fixed type super structure for canvas top.

Congrats once again!! clap:

regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by royamrit (Post 1556307)
Hi Everyone

I just acquired a 1967 Willys 3JCB, LHD & 4WD last month.

I am attaching the pictures.

Initial thoughts welcome.....

Regards

Amrit

Hi Amrit :)
Nice going,really good jeep.Like the following.
1> The brake handle and the twin choke and throttle control knobs. 2> The indicator assemblies, the headlight rings.
3> The original steering,( you can fit the original stlye horn switch), gear lever,the 4wd levers,the windscreen
4> The top bars would need reconsideration.
All you need is a few cosmetic bits in addition to the mechanical oversee.
Goodluck with your project.
Cheers
Jammy

Quote:

U.B.Singh

Hey chappie from Dharamsala,
1> The "fellow" you refer to is a very fine gentleman who happens to be a personal Guru to me and countless jeepers hereabouts.
2> For his marked sense of down to earth manners which belie the wealth of knowledge he posseses and imparts, not to even mention the parts he has unselfishly made available to fellow enthusiasts,the gentleman is a mentor to many a jeeper.
3> Rumours are for plebians,cognoscenti....well it takes time.
Cheers
Jammy

Buddy Amrit,
Going by the pics, if the initial configuration is still there under the bonnet and below the tub then you have a priceless jem in your hands. Even in its present form it looks deadly minus the atrocious bull bar on the front bumper, the hideous seats, the folding frame for the canvas and the tyres. Switch to MRF NDMS tyres and you'll get 90% character of the 3B back without touching anything else. Even though i'm a novice regarding restoration of autos (Work on my 3B is likely to begin soon at Sudhir Kashyap's workshop) it gives me a lot of satisfaction to think that these priceless jewels are being retained and retsored to be passed on to the next generation. Was seeing some movie on star movies in the afternoon today on WWII and the story was about some Easy Company... and there were several clips of multiple low bonnet jeeps...Looked terrific in the war torn setting-gave a sense of capable and in control situation.

Once again congratulations on your buy,

Regards,
atul

Please loose that beautiful bull bar soon.

Like the others have mentioned I am sure there is a UBS connection to this.

Dear Friends

Thanks so much for your responses. i will try to answer most of your queries ;

1. The CJ3B is in running condition and it has a 3 gear petrol engine.

2. There some paper -work which needs to get completed and I am waiting for that before i can drive ( in my area, cops are very strict).

3. There are some minor repairs to be done like exhaust pipe, battery terminal before the jeep can be driven.

4. Yes!!! I have heard about Uday Bhan Singh and know all about his fame and experience. I have already contacted him and send him the jeep pictures. I am waiting for the jeep to be 100 % road running condition before i meet him for his advice.

5. The following comments about the various aspects :
a. The bull bars.. yes i have to cut them off
b. The seats ... yes i have to change them
c. The collapsible canopy frame.. thats seems to be non-original and I
guess I have to remove them

6. I got a jeep from a friends who had purchased it from Panagarh in West
Bengal

7. I am also but surprised by the metal strip at the sides of the bonnet.. it seems to be in all 3JCB pictures I have seen. However, it was not there in one MH606 picture i have seen on the net.

anyway.. awaiting your responses and new mails form all you crazy jeep-loving people.

Amrit

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 1557902)
DD - You!! Poor guy Amrit, please dont make him walk upto UBS and ask "do you what is parked behind me. I heard you know 'something' about these Jeeps"
lol:

Glad you got it. There are some chappies on this site who go out of their way to be offended by my wierd sense of humor. My guess is that U.B. Singh is not one of them.

I will follow the development of this project with interest. The utter simplicity and elogance of these SWB jeeps continues to intrigue me.