Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 22:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

@ Samurai- the bottom leaves are the helper springs (secondary stage springs) which get actuated after the load exceeds a certain amount.

@Fazalbhai- the slip joint seems to be the only glitch in this wonderful restoration. As a thumb rule, with the vehicle in unladen condition the slip joint should be at a mean length, which means if a propeller shaft has a total slip of say 76mm (this slip is of my project vehicle) in unladen condition it should extend to a length of 38 mm which gives it an option to move 38mm up in jounce condition and a 38mm movement down in rebound condition.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:57   #47

@fazalaliadil, very good job, i am very impressed by the color selection and overall look.

Need a suggestion, my brother has seen couple of MM 540 DP vehicles, manufactured in 90-94 range. All these vehicle are in good running condition, and asking prices are in the range 40-60k, no more details as of yet. He ( my brother) does not drive the vehicle so he could not say more about it, all the information is giving by his driver. As per his driver the price difference was because of the engine, some are DI and some others are Peugeot.

How much can I offer for these vehicles (of course we would buy only one ) and what would be the approximate cost to make it like this vehicle of yours.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Fazalbhai- the slip joint seems to be the only glitch in this wonderful restoration. As a thumb rule, with the vehicle in unladen condition the slip joint should be at a mean length, which means if a propeller shaft has a total slip of say 76mm (this slip is of my project vehicle) in unladen condition it should extend to a length of 38 mm which gives it an option to move 38mm up in jounce condition and a 38mm movement down in rebound condition.
SPIKE ARRESTOR,
Thanks for your valuable inputs, I will look into this matter and seek a remady, it would be helpful if you can also suggest what needs to be done here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hegdegg View Post
@fazalaliadil, very good job, i am very impressed by the color selection and overall look.

Need a suggestion, my brother has seen couple of MM 540 DP vehicles, manufactured in 90-94 range. All these vehicle are in good running condition, and asking prices are in the range 40-60k, no more details as of yet. He ( my brother) does not drive the vehicle so he could not say more about it, all the information is giving by his driver. As per his driver the price difference was because of the engine, some are DI and some others are Peugeot.

How much can I offer for these vehicles (of course we would buy only one ) and what would be the approximate cost to make it like this vehicle of yours.
hegdegg,
The cost of a jeep depends on various factors apart from the model, like the condition of the body, engine etc. When buying a jeep I personally look for a neat body, as the tyres and engine do not matter for my kind of application, where I completely change them. This jeep apart from its own cost, I spent additionally over 2.50 lakhs.
The time spent to get it in this condition is incalculable.
Regards,
Old 21st December 2009, 10:07   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
hegdegg,
The cost of a jeep depends on various factors apart from the model, like the condition of the body, engine etc. When buying a jeep I personally look for a neat body, as the tyres and engine do not matter for my kind of application, where I completely change them. This jeep apart from its own cost, I spent additionally over 2.50 lakhs.
The time spent to get it in this condition is incalculable.
Regards,
Thank you Sir, will keep these in mind before finalizing.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:50   #50
BHPian

Congratulations on your new project Fazal sir, the Jeep looks great. I'm sure performance-wise too. I love the top you made for this one and using the roll bar as a soft top frame is a good idea, IMO maybe 1 or 2(close together 10-12 inches apart)smaller pipes could be joined between the mid section of the front and rear roll bars so the top fits tightly and water doesn't accumulate.
Thats the idea i'm thinking of for my small cosmetic project that i shall be doing. Please do post some topless photos too.
The color is very unique i must say, need to see it in the flesh . Interiors and detailing - outstanding.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Congratulations on your new project Fazal sir, the Jeep looks great. I'm sure performance-wise too. I love the top you made for this one and using the roll bar as a soft top frame is a good idea, IMO maybe 1 or 2(close together 10-12 inches apart)smaller pipes could be joined between the mid section of the front and rear roll bars so the top fits tightly and water doesn't accumulate.
Thats the idea i'm thinking of for my small cosmetic project that i shall be doing. Please do post some topless photos too.
The color is very unique i must say, need to see it in the flesh . Interiors and detailing - outstanding.
johannes,
Thank you for your appreciation. Yes! it performs better than it looks. Also the colour was intended to be unique, as I have never seen any Jeep in this colour in flesh or pics.
I could get the top done up as you have mentioned, but the shape that I wanted a depression on the top center which gives this top a distinct look would be lost. The problem of water accumulating is not as bad as it seems especially if it is a synthetic top, the remedy would be to just lift the two front to rear connecting pipes to the level of the main roll bar, but then the shape would be boxy and this is what I did not want. There is no need of pipes in the mid section if you lift the connecting pipes as mentioned.
Regards,
Old 21st December 2009, 13:37   #52
BHPian

Sir,
It is such a pleasure to see your creations,i am lost of words to express,it is undoubtedly the best restorations i have ever seen.I would like to know how is the response of the gearbox with the existing engine?i am very curious to know it,did you feel any difference in torque?pickup? efficiency?I would like to know more about this gearbox with the diesel setup.

regards

mandeep
Old 21st December 2009, 16:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
I could get the top done up as you have mentioned, but the shape that I wanted a depression on the top center which gives this top a distinct look would be lost. The problem of water accumulating is not as bad as it seems especially if it is a synthetic top,

Regards,
Hi Fazal Bhai ,

The Jeep looks stunning and I must say great job done!!!

What material is used for soft top ? I know you have mentioned somewhere in the thread that what it is but couldnt get it. If I have to get this thing from market then what is it called? Any excessive heating due to this rexine kind of material? BTW are these overhead fenders still available at your place? Can I get it ? what would be the cost if I want to pick from HYD.

Tarkesh
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Fazal Bhai ,

The Jeep looks stunning and I must say great job done!!!

What material is used for soft top ? I know you have mentioned somewhere in the thread that what it is but couldnt get it. If I have to get this thing from market then what is it called? Any excessive heating due to this rexine kind of material? BTW are these overhead fenders still available at your place? Can I get it ? what would be the cost if I want to pick from HYD.
Tarkesh
Tarkesh,
Thanks for your appreciation.
Canvas was used for the soft top, Canvas is a kind of thick cloth, which is water resistant to an extent. Ask for canvas in the market, it goes by this name. As it is a cloth (non synthetic) it breathes (unlike rexine or SRF), the heating is much much less. Reg the fenders contact me on 0 98850 71025

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Sir,
It is such a pleasure to see your creations,i am lost of words to express,it is undoubtedly the best restorations i have ever seen.I would like to know how is the response of the gearbox with the existing engine?i am very curious to know it,did you feel any difference in torque?pickup? efficiency?I would like to know more about this gearbox with the diesel setup.
regards
mandeep
Mandeep,
Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.
Extremely torquey, is what I can categorize this set up as.
The gearbox is extremely smooth and responsive mated with the XD3P diesel engine, When I engage in the (low) 1st gear and start from dead halt...within 3-4 feet of travel, I need to move into 2nd gear, in heavy traffic 3rd gear does the job effortlessly and you rarely need to go into 2nd gear. 4th gear is engaged the moment any traffic eases out and the (high)5th can be used from 40kmph onwards.
The auxiliary gear when engaged shows its prowess without any hiccups, the transfer of power to all four wheels is very effortless and pronounced, (considering that I have tested many other Mahindra gearboxes in the 4X4 mode) I have yet to test the BA10 which I hear is very good too.
However or whichever the gearbox is, the power house is the engine and this XD3P really delivers and this transfer case compliments the engine 100%.
If you are planning to mate the two, I recommend it.
Regards,
Old 29th December 2009, 22:49   #55
BHPian

Mechanical Side

Fazal Bhai

Great job done it would be most nice if you mentioned our Prabhakars work too,I am sure that would make him very happy after all i think he did a good job on the jeep with the mechanicals.
Old 30th December 2009, 00:51   #56
BHPian

Nice!!!

Hi,

Good turnout and drive hard.....Just wanted to check the crown pinion ratio used.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 13th October 2010, 09:50   #57

Hi Adil Bhai

I just loved the jeep!! Nice finish, the sectional soft top is by far one of the best I have seen on this forum, I was thinking of getting a sectional top mounted on roll cage for a long time, now I know how it looks once done!!

Cheers
Chandeep
Old 13th October 2010, 16:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersingh1984 View Post
Hi Adil Bhai

I just loved the jeep!! Nice finish, the sectional soft top is by far one of the best I have seen on this forum, I was thinking of getting a sectional top mounted on roll cage for a long time, now I know how it looks once done!!

Cheers
Chandeep
Hi Chandeep,
Thanks for the appreciation.
The basic idea was:
A roll bar which doubles up into a top frame and vice versa, with minimum pipes.
The installation and removal of the top should be fast and easy.
The design should compliment and enhance the looks of the Jeep.

Got all that right from the concept stage, but do keep in mind when you are doing one for yourself.

1. On a 540/50, the top curve of the B pillar should be strictly followed on the two main pipes when bending them. (pic.2)

2. The top end of the rear pipe should be tilted (before welds) 12" inside the end line of the body to get the slope in the rear. If it is done over that you might end up with a hunch back Jeep, likewise if it is lesser it will turn out to be boxy. (pic.1)

p.s. notice red line.

Regards,
MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-img_4198.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-img_4203.jpg
Old 28th March 2014, 18:48   #59
BANNED

Re: MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!

I see this Jeep is for sale on OLX. What is your next project?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks