Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 12:01   #1
BHPian

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!

It was a normal day at college, until a friend came running to me- "ATV Chalana hai??" and i was like " What the...?? kaha hai ATV??".

turned out that there was an event taking place at a farmhouse where we could pay and ride Polaris ATVs.
A quick Decision was made to bunk the remaining classes , and 90 seconds later, we were on our way. (those 90 seconds were spent borrowing money for the ride )

Getting to the point, we reached the place, and surprise surprise (coz i din expect the ATVs to be Polaris')!! there were TWO Polaris ATVs perching on the sand, looking rather bored. A Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4, and a Military green Sportsman 500 6x6. the money collector guy told us we can ride any one of them on the track they have prepared for one lap. and we would be given training first. One lap of an 8 shaped track, and we were done with that.

Time to choose what to ride. the butch and huge 6x6 was the natural option for the trio of us. my friend vivek went first, with a huge grin plastered on his face. in the mean time, i checked out the scrambler.
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0537.jpg
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0538.jpg
It was powered by a 498CC Single Cyl OHV engine.Fueling was by a 40 mm keihin carb (Info as found on the internet) Dunno About the power and torque figures, couldn't find them even on the Polaris Industries website.
the transmission was Automatic ( CVT- as found on Activas).
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0540.jpg

the rear end had a Solid Axle, meaning no diffrential. Suspension consisted of a single monoshock, with 17 inches of travel .the power to the font wheels went through CV joints, and later found out that there was a Limited Slip diffrential for the front wheels. Front suspension is Mc Pherson struts with 19 inches of travel.

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-dsc01486.jpg

Note the Guard protecting the front CV Joint and Brake assembley from flying stones and NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE marking on the tyres.

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-dsc01487.jpg
PS: the organisers were unable to give me details about the owner, except that he is from Chandigarh. I'm sure he must be a member of Team-BHP, and hope he dont minds me uploading pics of his steeds here.
(more on tyres, the 6x6 and the ride experience later)
Old 19th December 2009, 15:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

How much did you pay to ride the same? How long was it for?

Last edited by beejay : 19th December 2009 at 15:15.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:05   #3
BHPian

Cool! I have ridden one ATV in Ganpatipule. It was a 4x2 home made atv fitted with Bajaj Scooter engine. The ride was nice, all wheels were out of alignment. So, had to engage offroading skills even on a perfectly dry and hard level tarmac.
This one looks like a real deal.
More info and photos please.
Old 19th December 2009, 17:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

where is that 6x6 ATV as mentioned in the thread title ? I am keen to have a look at it. Kindly share the details and pics of that one.
Old 19th December 2009, 19:13   #5
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2009 at 14:40.
garvit2002 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th December 2009, 19:30   #6
BHPian

here's the big one, the sportsman 500. to give you an idea of it's size, im six feet tall.
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0546.jpg

it shares it basic platform with the Scrambler, as can be seen in similar suspension and parts, including the engine and transmission. the main differences apart from the extra pair of wheels are the inclusion of a low ratio gear in the transfer case, and the loading trays, which improve it's utility. the front one can carry about 35- 40 KGs, and the rear one is rated at approx 360 KGs.
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0550.jpg
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0553.jpg

Here's how the second swing arm is connected. View with the rear loading tray tipped over.
Note the drive to the second Axle is Via Chain. All four wheels stop by the single disk.
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0554.jpg
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0555.jpg
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0556.jpg
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0558.jpg

More on the riding experience and minor details later...
Old 19th December 2009, 23:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

It has inboard brakes.

BTW any one know the cost of these and how are these registered.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:19   #8
BHPian

the organisers told me approx 7 lakhs.

these are 2004 model ATVs, and cost around 6000$ in the US back then (acc. to google).

These things are not road legal.

And i have a doubt.
What is the criteria for selecting import duty on a vehicle?? is the 108 % import duty applicable even on farm equipment?? or are there other rules for vehicles that would not be driven on public roads??

Does any one know of a source where i can clarify my import/ export duties doubts??
Old 20th December 2009, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

4x2
4x4
6x6

you drove them all! now thats something making me buy one of those!

for what purpose the 6x6 has been bought, as a workhorse on a farm? are there any dealers for these ATVs in india or just imported?

Last edited by Parm : 20th December 2009 at 09:51.
Old 20th December 2009, 10:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Technically, the correct terminology should be 6x4, since the front wheels are not powered. Also, the "6x6" is the workhorse; on a trail the scrambler is more fun. Speaking from experience.
It's not practical to own one in India though. I have a list of dealers and price somewhere, will dig it out and post it. A simple google search should also give you results.

EDIT: @ S.Alec, they are not registered and can't be driven on the road. ALso, around 8 years ago, when i was into these things, they used to start from 2.5 lakhs and above.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 20th December 2009 at 10:09. Reason: see edit
Old 20th December 2009, 10:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Technically, the correct terminology should be 6x4, since the front wheels are not powered. Also, the "6x6" is the workhorse; on a trail the scrambler is more fun. Speaking from experience.
It's not practical to own one in India though.

The sportsman's front wheels are also powered. the system is similar to that of the scrambler. so it can be termed as a 6x6. and yes you are right, on a trail the scrambler would be more fun. would elaborate on this fact in my next post.
Old 20th December 2009, 18:14   #12
BHPian

here's how the 6x6 felt like.

The controls were easy. Throttle is thumb operated (similar to the decompression lever of royal enfields) as you need to grip the bars firmly to hang on. the 6x6 has both brakes on the bars. left rear, right front. there is a gear selector lever on the rightside of the fuel tank, and you can select high, low or reverse. these are the controls which the trainer showed me. He left out some , which -unfortunately- i discovered after my ride was over. would discuss them later in the post.

instrumentation was a 60mph/ 100 kmph speedo, digital tachometer and gear indicator.
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0552.jpg

The engine is started by an ignition key (can also be started by a manual rope tug type starter). The thumb operated throttle feels alien at first, and was a bit hard to modulate ( will take some getting used to). Thumb it, and the 6x6 lurches forward. This thing has plenty of torque.

1st corner, and i turn the bars. nothing happens. This thing understeers like hell. Four diffrential less wheels at the rear are to blame. Let go of throttle, and it slows down immidiately. give some controlled throttle inputs, and it turns. the steering ratio of the bars is not a direct 1:1. felt like some 1.5-1.7:1 to me. u'll need that to improve leverage. slowly getting accustomed, i attack the next corner. The acceleration felt brisk on the sandy track, but would not on a paved surface.

here's me pushing the limits (mine )
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0543.jpg
note that Im entering the corner early to leave space for understeer. Wasn't implementing the technique properly though.
Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0544.jpg

on my way frm the clg, i had been daydreamin abt driftin the ATV. Time to realize that dream. as it was an automatic, there was no ques. of powersliding it. so i decided i'll use the rear brakes to get the rear out of line. So gunned it in the next wide corner, and applied the rear brake midcorner, while shiftin bodyweight into the corner. Touched the rear brake lever and bang. Extreme G-Force. It was like hitting a wall. Those 4 tyres really dig in to grip the sand. tremendous grip. So no oversteery moments for the day. Plenty of Understeery moments though. The scrambler would have been more fun in this regard, which i could't ride unfortunately.

After my ride, was checking out the machine closely, and found a all wheel/ rear wheel drive selector switch. also found a push button switch saying Reverse/ Speedo Override. Asked the Guy what it was for, and he explained it is used to counter excessive wheel spin while reversing. As an engineer, i suppose it sends more torque to the front axle. I think pressing it while cornering would make it turn more easily. but couldn't test my theroy....
Apart from that, there were the light switches, and an engine kill switch. high beam was a 55watt H7 halogen, and low beam were 2 halogens. cudn't see the bulbs, so dunno the wattage.

Also, there was a nice touch on the scrambler. the fuel tank lid contained a float operated Fuel guage. Talking of fuel, these things have a 12 litre fuel tank, and can cover around 80 kms on a tank full.

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0562.jpg
Extra switches on the scrambler for indicators and horn.

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0572.jpg
Fuel guage on the scrambler.

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0557.jpg
Low beam

Polaris 6x6 ATV Ridden!!-snap0566.jpg
Note the tyres use only 6.5 PSI of air pressure, as compared to an averege 28 PSI of normal vehicles to incraese area of contact and enhance grip.

wish the ride was longer. can spend a day riding these machines...on sand, gravel...over rockey hills....feels like heaven when i dream that...
Old 20th December 2009, 20:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The track shown in the pics does not look good enough for ATV, any 2wd Sedan/Hatchback can do it with a lot of entertainment.
Old 21st December 2009, 08:59   #14
BHPian

Yes right, but guess it was okay for first time rides, as all people have varying capabilities of controlling machine. ensured a mishap free event.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:44   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thoroughly entertaining writeup, Dhawcash. I've always been curious about ATVs. Have heard of how much fun they are to offroad, yet never had a proper long run in any. From your description, this brand of ATVs seem to pack some serious equipment. 7 lakhs is alright considering the American $6000 tag, but until they localise (or atleast assemble here), ATVs will only be rare, rich mans, toys. Heck, 7 lakhs can get you a brand new Gypsy 4x4!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks