Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 11:37   #16
BHPian

superb work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
sir i recently did up my cj500d and i would suggest a XDP3 engine with a 5 speed gear box(bolero)with 4wd. Will put up some pics shortly.
Great work.you have really brought back the life of a dead man.
I would like to know the price involved on various parts , mainly the 5speed gear box(bolero) and the alloy wheels+tyres.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:26   #17
BHPian

Where to go from here :)

Quote:
sir i recently did up my cj500d and i would suggest a XDP3 engine with a 5 speed gear box(bolero)with 4wd. Will put up some pics shortly.
Thanks a Lot JeepDude... that was truly inspiring, you have given life to a 4X4. .... can you pls detail a little, I see the diesel tank going below the back seat, also you have custom side bars.

A cost break up would be of great help

Regds
Abhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I think the OP wrote:

So maybe the XD3P is not the best option for him.
Hey Bigman..

What is the FE, of XD3P? considering that I would run 60 KM a day, what is your suggestion on engine. I am curious to know Behram Sir's input, as he is telling me not to make any changes as of now.

Regds
Abhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mail2abhi83 - you have got a good vehicle at a throwaway price. Now - PLEASE DON'T THROW AWAY ITS GOODNESS BY DOING ANYTHING SILLY TO IT. Just service / grease it, change all oils and drive it for sometime. I hope you will accede to my request.

The maximum speed of CJ500D91"WB4WD with MD2350 engine with inline FIP at GVW condition is actually 72 kmph. I tested it in 1981 and set the specifications.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram Sir,

A privilege to have heard from you on my thread. I have read all your inputs you have given to sabreesh.

I followed what you told to sabreesh, followed the same, I have changed all oils, greeced the vehicle and I am running it now.

No changes done, its being run in as is condition, all the rims were volbering, so had to get them straightened, that is the only thing done so far.

Please help me take this forward. It would be a privilege to restore a jeep under your guidance.

Regds
Abhi
Old 18th January 2010, 10:53   #18
BHPian

Hi All,
I have a question to the moderators. Can I use this thread to post my jeep restoration picture story? The jeep is 99% ready and has done a couple of trial runs. Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
Sudhir.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Hi All,
I have a question to the moderators. Can I use this thread to post my jeep restoration picture story? The jeep is 99% ready and has done a couple of trial runs. Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
Sudhir.
Though I am no Moderator, but I can safely say that you can always open a new thread and start posting your experiences and pictures. This way it would be easy for others to relate and follow you thread and experiences.
Old 18th January 2010, 19:01   #20
BHPian

Thank you so much Harjeev Sir for your suggestion. I will start a new thread on my jeep.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:59   #21
BHPian

Chief, the costs involved depends on the luck you have with purchase of Engine, Gearbox and its condition. I was lucky my engine cost only Rs.eighteen thousand, the gearbox cost me Rs twenty two thousand with the 4x4 gearbox, other costs were aircleaner and recalibration of Fuel pump/nozzles. I had to spend about Rs Six thousand for all this. Change of oil, filter and all the gaskets also cost some money. The Gearbox had to be fitted with two new syncroniser rings costing about Rs one thousand , then the gaskets, Lubricant had to be changed. So it depends on luck, most people would fit full assembly and then decide, I however wanted to set things in place to avoid any further doubts , hence items with little wear also would have been replaced by me. Tinkering did cost me about Rs sixteen thousand and painting too as much. Then you have to add costs of fastners and bushes etc. The wiring cost me another Rs 4000/-. Probably bulbs too reqd
replacement. Starter and alternator were overhauled. Fresh fuse box was added, Additional key set was in place for the winch which I may fit on at a later date. I do hope you get a fair idea of the cost. Regards... Varun
Old 20th January 2010, 08:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chief, the costs involved depends on the luck you have with purchase of Engine, Gearbox and its condition.
I was lucky my engine cost only Rs.eighteen thousand,
the gearbox cost me Rs twenty two thousand with the 4x4 gearbox,
other costs were aircleaner and recalibration of Fuel pump/nozzles. I had to spend about Rs Six thousand for all this. Change of oil, filter and all the gaskets also cost some money. The Gearbox had to be fitted with two new syncroniser rings costing about Rs one thousand , then the gaskets, Lubricant had to be changed. So it depends on luck, most people would fit full assembly and then decide, I however wanted to set things in place to avoid any further doubts , hence items with little wear also would have been replaced by me. Tinkering did cost me about Rs sixteen thousand and painting too as much. Then you have to add costs of fastners and bushes etc. The wiring cost me another Rs 4000/-. Probably bulbs too reqd
replacement. Starter and alternator were overhauled. Fresh fuse box was added, Additional key set was in place for the winch which I may fit on at a later date. I do hope you get a fair idea of the cost. Regards... Varun
Hey Varun
The 18k for the engine and 22k for the Gear box & 4x4 are you referring to new prices or old prices??
If the price is for old stuff (Stock Hurricane and T90 Gearbox and T18 Twin Stick Transfercase) then my friend thats the higest prices that I've read/ learnt someone pay. Not only high but very high!!!
Old 20th January 2010, 12:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Varun
The 18k for the engine and 22k for the Gear box & 4x4 are you referring to new prices or old prices??
If the price is for old stuff (Stock Hurricane and T90 Gearbox and T18 Twin Stick Transfercase) then my friend thats the higest prices that I've read/ learnt someone pay. Not only high but very high!!!
harjeev, i have fixed a XDP3 engine with a 5speed gearbox and 4x4
Old 20th January 2010, 15:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
harjeev, i have fixed a XDP3 engine with a 5speed gearbox and 4x4

My bad!!! I guess that I must have been confused between two threads.
for a 5 speed gearbox along with the xd3b and T18 single shift, I would not say very cheap but still good!!!

Considering that its nmot easy to fit the 5 speed in a SWB what vehicle are you mounting all this into!!! Pics would be great
Old 20th January 2010, 21:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

My bad!!! I guess that I must have been confused between two threads.
for a 5 speed gearbox along with the xd3b and T18 single shift, I would not say very cheap but still good!!!

Considering that its nmot easy to fit the 5 speed in a SWB what vehicle are you mounting all this into!!! Pics would be great
Harjeev my jeep is a 1984 cj500d and is not a SWB jeep. Pics are on the previous page
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:41   #26
BHPian

Varun,

Thanks for the breakup it did help.

Experts,

To understand the Color which would be the best suited for a Long Chasis vehicle, is giving me nightmares.

All the pics I have seen are CJ3B's in different Colors. Basically I would be driving Open top for most half of the time, and with Soft Top with the other lesser half. As this vehicle is long I am left with the following questions.

a) I want the Jeep to be painted in a Lighter color, and give it a Jeep like charachter with all the farbrication, options are Jodhpur Sand Color, Light Green, or Dusky white, Please see the images below.

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-75098.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-dg_2.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-200954113527_500.jpg

Would need inputs of experts on what would be the right color, considering that this is a longer Jeep.

b) As suggested by Behram Sir, we are not making any mods/changes to Engine, Gear Box or chassis. We are only repainting the body & fabricating necessary accessories to the jeep for now.

What is the recommendation on rollover bars which should be fabricated for a Jeep with a classic look, the 1.5 Inch round bar, might not look appropriate considering charachter of the Jeep, is the scissor type mounting for Soft Top be ok?

c) Any recommendations on basic Design for the jeep, we are planning to give it a War Jeep Look, with all the fabrications like Jerry Cans, winch holder & other accessories like Spade & axe fits.

Your inputs will give a better design to the Jeep, please advice.

Regds
Abhi
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:22   #27
BHPian

Identify this Mahindra Jeep? Is it a worthy Buy?

Hello All,
My name is Indra, i have been a silent member on t-bhp for a couple of years now. I come here frequently silently admire somecars and occassionally comment. Recently, i have chanced upon a mahindra jeep, before buying it i would like some expert opinion on the feasibility of this project. Some history about me as i know rebuilding a jeep is not only expensive but is mentally frustrating procedure, not to mention the toll it can take on your personal and professional lives as well.In the end you have to ask yourself before you begin is it worth it?. I have been actively involved in rebuilding of 2 jeeps in my family, you can read my brother's thread his handle name is nofear9009. One was a mm540 4x4 and another was ex-army 550XD. Both were good vehicles but i somehow felt they never gave the satisfaction as much time n money we put in it(thats my opinion) my bro mite have a different one. Also, he recently acquired a brand new MM Thar CRDE, which is a beauty and i love it too the core. I can leave the description of that to another thread.

So back to the jeep, I cant really tell the make or model or originality of the vehicle as it is in a sorry state, but the people who i am gonna pick it up from our are very optimistic about it.
Some of the things i know about it.

1. Govt. Vehicle (so if i buy it i will be second owner Legally).
2. Mahindra Inter Diesel Engine ( Need confirmation. Says is in running condition and easy to fix.)
3. Short Wheelbase, no mods to chassis. (although i think the breathers near the footwell may have been added later.)
4. 4x4 is removed, although i was told i can easily source it from local dealers. ( Need to know what i need to buy, it already has the axle in the front with the pumpkin on it, so need expert advice on getting this back ASAP.)
5. Has gas tank under the passenger side.
6. Little rust, need to see chassis area.
7. My guess about this vehicle is from the 70's era.

Plan of action for this Vehicle as and when i source the funds and time for it.

1. Body Work, seats, getting rid of the fibre hardtop, my mom saw it and she hates it too.
2. 4x4 operational.
3. All mechanicals operational.
4. I wont be fitting roll-cages and bars etc, i want to keep a minimalistic look, wont be going for the done to death military colors either, want to go for something in dark blue region.
4. 6.00x16 NDMS tires with thar rims.
5. Want to remove the front bench seats with individual ones. I also noticed the driving position is really uncomfortable, so i will need something where i can stretch my arms a bit, also the steering rubs against my belly .Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800021.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800022.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800023.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800024.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800025.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800026.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800032.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800033.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800034.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800036.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800035.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800036.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800037.jpg

Mahindra 500D 1986 Model - Restoration Thread-img2012122800038.jpg
6. in the future i would want to go in for for engine swap as after driving the thar crde, i know i wont be able to live with the inter 3 speed engine. Mostly i would want to go in for xd3p (ex army)engine preferably oil cooled, but thats still too far away. I am attaching few pics i clicked of it hope they are enough to answer some of the queries i have.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:34   #28
BANNED

Re: Identify this Mahindra??? Is it a worthy Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear5611 View Post
Recently, i have chanced upon a mahindra jeep, before buying it i would like some expert opinion on the feasibility of this project.
The Jeep seems to be in a decent condition and worth restoring. It looks like a CJ to me.

@Mods:

Pl move this thread to the 4WD vehicles section.
Old 4th January 2013, 13:41   #29
BHPian

Re: Identify this Mahindra Jeep? Is it a worthy Buy?

Thanks n.devdath, i realised this one is a CJ, more too my guess its a cj3b, but i thought the 3b came with a hurricane engine. Since i know the guys in the govt. dept arent really supposed to make any major modifications like engines and stuff, so i am wondering how it could be a CJ-3b. I am not aware of any other models which came standard with b275 (tractor) engine. i have until a few days till i make my decision so i want to make sure i have all the facts. I have inspected majority of the vehicle upto my sensibilities. This jeep has been lying there for a while now, but i am surprised how little rust it has. Another thing i noticed with the jeep, the rear section is very high as compared from side profile of the vehicle. it seems as though they have increased the leaf springs and used it so for an extended time. My question to the expert is, by doing this does it deform the body (tub) permanently, as i would think this elevates the rear section and probably bends some of the center section.

Also, can someone answer to the originality of the vehicle and all the parts, i want to get rid of stuff thats not required?
Old 4th January 2013, 13:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Identify this Mahindra Jeep? Is it a worthy Buy?

I think this Jeep is the good 'ol 500D. The TC seems to be missing. In that case, can you please post pictures of the rear axle? If its right offset, then you will need only a T18 TC to get the 4x4 working (hopefully).

Also, about the Inter engine. It really is an old school engine with hardly any revs to speak of. So, please drive another Jeep with the same engine to make sure you can live with this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks