Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 19:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Whats the story with Jongas in Mussoorie?

We travelled to Mussoorie in November 09 and I was amazed to see lots of Jongas on the climb up from DehraDuhn.

Kids were fed up after a 7 hour drive (fog most the way) so did not feel like taking any photos.

So is this the local favourite, was I just lucky in seeing so many or after a 7 hours drive were my eyes playing tricks with me?
Old 11th January 2010, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
We travelled to Mussoorie in November 09 and I was amazed to see lots of Jongas on the climb up from DehraDuhn.

Kids were fed up after a 7 hour drive (fog most the way) so did not feel like taking any photos.

So is this the local favourite, was I just lucky in seeing so many or after a 7 hours drive were my eyes playing tricks with me?
Darjeeling has Land Rovers
Manali and Joshi Math have M&M and Trax

so its Jongas for Mussoorie! no tricks of the eyes!
Old 13th January 2010, 11:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
....So is this the local favourite, was I just lucky in seeing so many or after a 7 hours drive were my eyes playing tricks with me?
You saw it right my friend. I was similarly surprised when incidentally we went there during the christmas holidays! I spotted around 4-5 of those. The best part was all these Jongas have SPOA kind of a set-up and thereby sporting an enormous look, something i never saw before. In fact few of these were for sale in Delhi also few years back. No pics though.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well Dehradun has a major Armed Forces presence, with the Army Cantt. Air Force Selection Board, the IMA etc. Also, it has a lot of organisations for example, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology which used to have their own fleet of Jongas to take the Geologists to their field sites. My grandfather used to be the President of Wadia Inst., so I have covered most of Himachal (Spiti etc.) and the Garhwal region while accompanying him on his visits in the Jonga. Similarly lots of these organisations had their Jongas for hill travel, hence you see so many of them there

Last edited by sammyboy : 13th January 2010 at 16:55.
Old 14th January 2010, 01:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
You saw it right my friend. I was similarly surprised when incidentally we went there during the christmas holidays! I spotted around 4-5 of those. The best part was all these Jongas have SPOA kind of a set-up and thereby sporting an enormous look, something i never saw before. In fact few of these were for sale in Delhi also few years back. No pics though.
You are right Kandisa. These Jongas are used as a Public Carrier there. And these all are not 4x4. The SPOA which you have noticed is because they use altered Leaf Springs to carry much more weight.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 14th January 2010, 10:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
....And these all are not 4x4. The SPOA which you have noticed is because they use altered Leaf Springs to carry much more weight...
Thanks for the explanation, yeah we too thought this might be the reason. And yes, when used for public carriage these vehicles don't need to 've 4x4 all the time. But the stance of these jongas with that kind of suspension set-up is really something unique to see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks