Team-BHP - Mahindra CJ 500D 4WD Rebuild
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mahindra CJ 500D 4WD Rebuild (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/74282-mahindra-cj-500d-4wd-rebuild.html)

Hi Team,

My Dream is to become a proud owner of a willys MB But right now I bought a 1986 CJ500 D 4WD Jeep (First step towards a willys) . I bought it from My neighbor. Ok lets the Pictures talk (I am not a good Writer.)

This is the model I am planing to do now .Engine and gearbox are in good condition so starting the work with body and soft top. Is it possible to fit Scorpio rims on a CJ500 (I have 2 set of old 16" Scorpio Tyre )?? suggestions please.

Hi sreejeshmp, the scorpio rims will not fit as the pcd of the wheel holes is not he same.The tires can be fitted but you will have to get a set of 16" rims either the 550 army ones or the pickup ones. Congrats on your new purchase and all the best for your restoration.

congrats!!
you just have started journey of your lifetime .:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 1701434)
Is it possible to fit Scorpio rims on a CJ500 (I have 2 set of old 16" Scorpio Tyre )??

it is not possible to fit scorpio wheels because the pcd is not the same.
older jeep /cj500d /gypsy 139.7
scorpio & newer ones 160

the gypsy 15" wheels will look good on your jeep.
Mahindra CJ 500D 4WD Rebuild-wjeel.jpg

Buddy,As rightly said the Scorpio rims will not fit in.
Also, I am curious to know about the door that is fixed in the model that you have shown. Is this a detachable door? (In case you would like to bring the windshield down)
Also the Poly Screen will suffocate the driver on a long trip. Few more pics on the model jeep that you have shown please
All in all a good buy, I am restoring a similar model. The journey to give it a good shape is wonderful. You would enjoy the process.
Abhi

Thank you. I am fitting the Scorpio tire on the stock rims. Today the patch worker came and he told me that he can finish the body work with in 20000.00.He is little busy with other three taxi jeeps so can start the work on next month last.

Abhi ,

Post some pics of your jeep then we can share the ideas and work together.

Yesterday I bought new Mahindra Major type grill,Bonnet,glass frame and esteam's front seat. The body work will start today.

did u notice the tyre walls aft fitting in your stock rims, if the radials bend a lot then it reduces the life of the tyre.i am nowise so pardon me if i am wrong!

I didn’t put the tire on the stock rim (Need to paint the rim).The Body patch work has been started.

Dash board and rear Plan. Suggestions please:

@sreejesh:

You can run the 235 Scorpio tires on stock rims. Generally not preffered but Vinod in chennai has been running wider tires on his stock rims and using his jeep extensively off-road without any major hic ups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1736970)
@sreejesh:

You can run the 235 Scorpio tires on stock rims. Generally not preffered but Vinod in chennai has been running wider tires on his stock rims and using his jeep extensively off-road without any major hic ups.

Not even minor hiccups:D ! No problem with it like rubbing on the inner wheel wells, extremely tight steering or even problem of tyre coming out of rim while running on low pressure in sand! I have done 90 kmph+ on highway and the jeep is rock steady.

I had 265 75 R16 on my jeep on std wheel rims, but that was taking matters to the extreme. I wouldn't recommend any Tyre beyond 235 on any jeep. Please see pics of my jeep with 265's and 235's.

Sreejesh - Please remember that CJ 500 has 48 inch wheel track against MM540's 51 inch. So even 235's may rub your inner wheel wells during articulation

P.s I did loose stance of the jeep when i lowered to 235. That's the only grouse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 1703188)
Today the patch worker came and he told me that he can finish the body work with in 20000.00.

Does Body work mean Tinkering + Painting? Or only tinkering??

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 1735135)
Yesterday I bought new Mahindra Major type grill,Bonnet,glass frame and esteam's front seat.

Could you break up the prices please?

Grill -?
Bonnet?
Glass Frame?
Esteem's Seat (Pair?) -?

Now I can’t spend money on new disk and tire so I am going ahead with stock CJ500 rim + resoled Scorpio tire(my Scorpio’s old tire 235/70 R16) If it doesn’t work will go for a gypsy rim and tire or Mahindra Pickup’s rim..

I bought average quality parts for my jeep because I just studying the JEEP Thing.

Grill – 1400.00
Bonnet- 1500.00
Glass Frame-1400.00
MM540 Type bumper rear and front – 1300.00
Major type door and lock – 1475.00
Esteem's Seat – 1800.

Would advice you to unbolt the body from the chasis or else the patch work wont be complete and the rattling sound might start.