Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 13:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

1969 CJ3B but not quite the same anymore

This is the story of what should never happen to a CJ3B:

My uncle and I were browsing through the auto classifieds when we came across this CJ3B and decided to go take a look at it. Since he lives in London, I went and took a look at it, drove it around for a bit and did the negotiations. This was before my time here on TeamBHP so I didn't know too much about 4x4. The owner showed me everything in working order and I did the deal for what seems like a very nice price compared to the going rate today.

The problems started after the jeep went to my uncle's farm house and the kids trashed it around the place in 4x4 mode. The engine started making weird noises. This was a petrol engine and I think it is the hurricane petrol. I still have the engine and gearbox at home. After a while I decided to gift my uncle a new diesel engine for the jeep and we found a Isuzu Diesel engine with the 5-speed 4x4 transmission from the Isuzu Trooper.

At this time it is not known if this is the 2.0L , 2.6L or 3.2L Diesel engine

Two garages were involved in a 1 year project to mate this engine and transmission into the CJ3B chassis. I am sure some of you might be cringing by now but ultimately the job was done at the expense of massive chassis modifications but no structural members were compromised in any way. The downside of this mod is a longer prop-shaft and lowered CG for the propshaft.

Front axle is Dana 44 of unknown origin. Disk brakes were installed up front and a power steering system was added at some point in time. The rear axle is original CJ-3B.

The vehicle when we bought it had a 3 speed transmission with 2WD-4WD lever and a 4H-4L lever alongside the gear lever. After the mods there is a 5 speed gear lever with a small lever to switch between 2WD and 4WD. This lever doesn't have a positive engagement (i.e no click between the two modes of operation and lever can slide out from one mode to the other with ease). This was something I found a bit weird but it worked...and I kept my concerns to myself.

We replaced the stock seats with Octavia seats up front. The fabric top was given to us when we bought the vehicle.

Since joining TeamBHP and getting involved in the 4x4 section and attending a few OTRs in my new Gypsy, I wasted no time after coming back home to Chennai to give the Jeep a drive around the farm. I tested the 4WD and it works...sort of.

At this point of time I gave Arka a call and met up with Arka, Headers(Vikram) and FieryEnzyme (Bala) on Friday June 4th. They will be checking out the vehicle tomorrow morning when we head for the Palar recce.

I took a few videos of the vehicle doing a few gentle obstacles just to see what it was capable of. I love the way the diesel torques its way around with no throttle inputs but I loathe the WEIGHT of the vehicle with this massive engine in it.

If you buy a CJ3B - don't do what I did. Unfortunately in my case I was never around to monitor the work because the vehicle was in Chennai and I live and work in Mumbai. I think restoring this Cj3B back to original condition will be even more of a headache and it is fine the way it is...a highway cruiser with moderate off-road abilities. Drives well and goes reliably. Now I need to find myself an unmolested CJ3B so that I don't have to borrow my uncle's vehicle everytime!

I also showed the vehicle to Raghav of Ignite. He pointed out the difference in axles and the low CG and the long Prop shaft. He also told me that the restoration may not be worth the effort. His opinion is that the vehicle is stuck in low-range as even in 5th gear it can wheel-spin on tarmac. Top speed is 40-50 kph.

Here are the videos as promised...My pet Great Dane was wondering if I had lost my marbles. But she never leaves my side when I am in town so please forgive her appearances in the videos. Also my dad made some comments in some of the videos out of concern for my well-being...you have the liberty to mock me

Last edited by gsferrari : 5th June 2010 at 13:22.
Old 5th June 2010, 13:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Oh my God! That is the most silent diesel engine I have ever heard. You can hear the suspension noise louder than the engine noise.
Old 5th June 2010, 13:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey GS,

get it tomorrow..we will check out what it can do!!

Ciao
Old 5th June 2010, 14:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Another video to show you the "juddering" that happens when you encounter a small obstacle:

And yet another to show you the underside of the vehicle. Here you can see some of the chassis modifications to accommodate the new transmission.

Old 5th June 2010, 14:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I like that JEEP

So you are getting it right?
Old 5th June 2010, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I like that JEEP

So you are getting it right?
Yes absolutely! Raghav advised against it because he felt the long prop shaft will twist under the torque of the diesel. You guys can check it out at Ignite and if it is not kosher then I'll simply drop it off at the farm-house on the way.
Old 5th June 2010, 16:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Yes absolutely! Raghav advised against it because he felt the long prop shaft will twist under the torque of the diesel. You guys can check it out at Ignite and if it is not kosher then I'll simply drop it off at the farm-house on the way.
Hi GS,

Get the Gearbox & T-Case serviced, and then decide on whether to buy another JEEP.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Why would the propeller Shaft twist, under the torque of the diesel?

Last edited by ex670c : 5th June 2010 at 16:44.
Old 5th June 2010, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Raghav pointed out that the prop shaft is at least 12" longer than usual and of the same thickness as the prop-shaft in the hurricane petrol engine CJ3B. He thinks that in an OTR situation the extra length coupled with the higher torque output of a diesel engine could snap the prop-shaft.

Gearbox and T-Case are working fine Arka-ji - you will see tomorrow morning. We can take a call then how to proceed.
Old 5th June 2010, 17:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Raghav pointed out that the prop shaft is at least 12" longer than usual and of the same thickness as the prop-shaft in the hurricane petrol engine CJ3B. He thinks that in an OTR situation the extra length coupled with the higher torque output of a diesel engine could snap the prop-shaft.
If the prop shaft is a single piece, I dont see much chance if it breaking unless we belt it. Be gentle even in OTR and all will be fine.

How much Torque does that diesel engine generate?

Check the prop shaft Universal joints!
Old 5th June 2010, 17:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Vikram Bhai - hopefully tomorrow we can identify the engine first

I am bringing it - 100% We will drive it and take it off-road to see what is what.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks