Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 04:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Geezer Jeep 4x4

While I was topping off, this living fossil pulled in to the fuel station and sidled up to the petrol pump. Being a geezer myself I have a modicum of respect for old things that have taken a licking and keep on ticking and are still doing the job they were intended for. There are a few of these old M&M 4x4s still in government service here in the Dharamsala area.

The driver frowned as attendants and passersby laughed and chortled over this old relic. It had been painted several times but rust still showed through, side windows were missing, the one windshield wiper was resting on the bonnet at a dysfunctional angle.

As many of you know, I am a foreigner. I do not know Indian auto history so I have some questions.

What exactly is this thing?
About how old might it be?
It's specs?

Most importantly, why does it look like a sway-backed mule? All of them are like this, the bonnet slopes from the front down to the windshield. They were obviously built this way but why? It looks quite odd.

The driver started it up, gave us all a look of defiance and moved toward the busy street. He floored it out of the fuel station and it sedately entered traffic at walking speed. Traffic had to slow to let it straighten out and proceed. As of yet, I do not get this same respect.
Attached Thumbnails
Geezer Jeep 4x4-dsc03196-912-x-684.jpg  

Geezer Jeep 4x4-dsc03197-912-x-684.jpg  

Geezer Jeep 4x4-dsc03198-912-x-684.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 2nd October 2010 at 04:21.
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, this was the ancestor of the CJ650. The metal body was hand built at local garages and the backward slope of the bonnet is due to the chassis bending at the point where the engine beds are. This happened because the old heavy tractor engines were retrofitted without strengthening the chassis. This caused the hood to slope downward.

Last edited by jyobeb : 2nd October 2010 at 09:45.
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks