Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 06:14   #1
BHPian

Brought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995

Hello All,

I lust for 4x4 vehicles started off with Toyota Hilux. From a 1988 toyota hilux with all rigid leaf springs and solid front axle, I moved to a 1987 toyota surf with IFS in front and leaf springs in rear.

I fell in love with 4x4 as I could navigate anywhere. I could get out where others would get stuck. My job responsibilities changed, I did not need to go to remote places, so bye bye Hilux and surf. Those two vehicles had cracked chassis in front, so they are not used for offroad site surveys any more.

Now the office bought against my advice, 2 tata telcolines. I drove them for test ride, and I must say they suck in offroad department. If you had to take off from stationary on a steep uphill, you had to engage 4x4. Why is there such a big turbo lag on this.

On my advice, we added Bolero camper, perfect for offroad, loads of torque and happy offroading. Downside is that it has zero on road manners, bumpy ride, no PS.

That was with office. I needed to buy a personal vehicle. so first came the MPFI gypsy 2001 (I chose MPFI because I read here that MPFI Gypsy is best). It did not disappoint with performance but everything else did. The ride quality, no P.S, zero comfort.

So I sold Gypsy and bought a Nissan Bluebird SSS 1993. 1.8 L DOHC. Amazing car, reached 100 km/hr in 2100 rpm. Very comfortable, excellent ride quality. Then again too low ground clearance, It fell into a pot hole and had damage to bumper. I sold it to my friend, who was after this Nissan.

Then came the Toyota corolla 1988 1.3 L carb 12 V. No Power steering, AC only. This car was amazing I could do 150 km/hr and it was so stable, and the car felt like new even after 22 years. This was because it had a single owner for 17 years. The car had only run 91,000 km in 22 years. The problem again was ground clearance. Again sold it to one of my friend, who was after this car as well. Anybody who test drove it, fell in love with it. Sadly I had to part with this car as I wanted a 4x4.

Then came 1988 Pajero 4x4 full options. Very comfortable but it was too old and niggling issues now and then. Since I don't have a personal driver, I did not have enough time to go to a garage and fix all those small issues. If one small issue solved, another would resurface. Enough was enough. I sold this too.

Now comes a Suzuki Vitara 1995. Mint condition.

1.6 L 16 valve SOHC engine (G16B), 5 speed gearbox with 4wd. It has auto locking front hubs.

It's been a few days but couple of things do not seem right. When I drove it from Kathmandu to my hometown (around 275 km), I got a FE of 11 km/l with 50% AC.

The ride quality much better than Gypsy but not as comfortable as Pajero.

The car felt like driving diesel whereas I knew I was driving a petrol. My experience with Gypsy, Nissan, and corolla told me that it did not feel like petrol car.

I joined suzuki-forum as they have dedicated message board for Suzuki Vitara.

After pulling out codes from OBD1, MAF sensor was wrong. Upon checking, the ground wire was going to break, only 2 strands remaining, so joined the wires properly. Afterwards, I feel like I am driving a petrol car.

There are a few issues I would like to solve, but its only been 5 days.

Rest to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Brought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995-imag0047.jpg  

Brought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995-suzuki1.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2010, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nepalken,

Surely it is a best you got after try and test with other SUVs. Congratulations!
Old 4th October 2010, 10:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Waiting eagerly for experience on trails and steep hills. Please let us know if it runs out of steam at higher altitudes (>10,000 feet).
Old 4th October 2010, 12:24   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nice jeep indeed. here is a pic I took recently of a couple of these in Ireland. One is a soft/open top type and the other is a hardtop.

they look roughly about similar/ slightly updated vintage as yours - and quite clearly are still going strong!
these seem to extremely popular in those parts.

I think that with proper care and regular maintenance these vehicles are pretty much indestructible.

wish that Suzuki would give us these in India too - probably with a VW Diesel TDi/ CRDI engine and 4WD.

have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Brought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995-dsc02642.jpg  

Brought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995-dsc05594.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th October 2010 at 12:26.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:17   #5
BHPian

I hope these are as robust or if not more robust that Gypsy. Can someone tell me which car that is sold in India has G16B engine? I might need to source some parts from India.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
I hope these are as robust or if not more robust that Gypsy. Can someone tell me which car that is sold in India has G16B engine? I might need to source some parts from India.
The Maruti Suzuki Baleno has the G16B engine .
Old 5th October 2010, 20:45   #7
BHPian

Thanks, now I can source engine and sensor parts from Maruti suzuki India. Cheers.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:36   #8
BHPian

Can someone tell me what is the price of fuel pump for a Suzuki Baleno with G16B.
Old 7th October 2010, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Hi,

After 7-8 days now, I have driven this car around and this car bogs down at lower rpm.
After a lot of diagnosis with help of vitara expert in suzuki forum, I have tracked down the problem to a bad Fuel Pressure regulator and possibly a weak TPS (Throttle position sensor).

If anyone had an EFI 16 Valve Baleno with G16B engine, can they please put a pic of their engine bay. I would like to source FPR and TPS from Maruti Baleno.

Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 16:17   #10
BHPian

Here is the pic of the engine bay of the suzuki vitara. DOes a baleno engine look exactly the same?
Attached Thumbnails
Brought a used Suzuki Vitara 1995-batt-view.jpg  

Old 7th October 2010, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
Here is the pic of the engine bay of the suzuki vitara. DOes a baleno engine look exactly the same?
This thread might help, alternatively you can pm him to ask questions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...g-416-w-5.html

Pramod
Old 20th October 2010, 07:59   #12
BHPian

Hi Ken, Congratulations on your Purchase. I want to upgrade my Lj78 with a 1kzt or 1kzte engine . Could you please guide me to a source in Nepal . I can drive the car to Nepal and get the engine swapped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks