Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 01:27   #1
BHPian

CJ4A jeep : Looking for alternative petrol engine options

Dear Friends,
I have recently picked up an old cj4a mahindra petrol jeep to use as the base vehicle for my Jungle safari vehicle.
More details of the project can be found here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...cle-build.html

I am looking to take out the original Hurricain engine + 3 speed GB of the cj4a and put an alternative petrol engine + GB assy in the jeep.

The various engines that experts have suggested me include :

Gypsy 1.3 L + GB assy + 4wd mechanism
Gypsy 1 L + GB assy + 4wd mechanism
Isuzu 1.8 L engine + isuzu toooper GB

What other Engine + GB options can I consider for this jeep to meet the following project considerations :
  1. The vehicle will run only on forest gravel roads of Tadoba Tiger reserve.
  2. I should get a good fuel efficiency of 10+ kmpl from the vehicle.
  3. The vehicle should easily and efforlessly haul 7 adults in not so difficult softroad terrain.
  4. There will be times when the 4x4 will be needed and the 4wd mechanism should be able to cope with such situations.
  5. The overall vehicle should be easy and cheap to maintain.
  6. Addition of LPG in the future should not rob the engine of much power and the vehicle should still be able to easily haul 7-8 adults.
  7. The cost of the engine + GB assy should not cost a bomb

The project cost is only 1L out of which 30k has gone in base vehicle procurement. Considering an expense of 10k for registration / transfer of ownership and about 30k for overhauling and body work, I am left with only 30k for the engine + GB.

I need your help in zeroing down on the heart for this project and understanding the various modifications that will be needed to the drivetrain and differentials to make to vehicle work in the way it is supposed to for the kind of application that I am making it for.

I would also like to know what are the costs of the various second hand engine+GB combinations in various cities of India and if anyone has a spare engine or two which can be of my use.

Waiting for your inputs to enter the second phase of the Project.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 5th October 2010 at 01:37.
Old 5th October 2010, 01:56   #2
BHPian

Are the cj4a jeeps very rare ?

The google search on the cj4a throws up a few not so relevant results and most of them point me back to TBHP.

Is this jeep the long-wheelbase version of the 3B?

I would like to know more about the history of this Jeep.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 5th October 2010 at 02:02.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,

For your requirements and keeping in mind the proposed conversion to LPG, an 1.8L Isuzu looks good (as there will be a power loss on LPG) the extra CC's here would be helpful and even otherwise, hauling 7-8 people off road needs an engine with more power than 1000-1400 cc.

The Isuzu GB is rugged and very smooth, if you can have the Isuzu engine-GB combo, it would be the best. I think it should be a straight fit too, not sure though.

Now comes the tricky part, your budget...hmmmm?

Arka would be the person who would be able to guide and help you zero on your project.

Regards,
Old 5th October 2010, 09:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Doc, based on various old posts of Mr. Behram and other experts in the forum, the CJ4A is indeed a stretched version of the CJ3b with the Hurricane engine and 3 speed gearbox. As Jeepfreak has very righty posted in your earlier thread, this engine, though a legendary one, will seek frequent attention in case you use it regularly. And if you don't have a good mechanic who understands this engine, you will have a tough time ahead. Also the mileage will be nowhere near your expectation.
Coming to the engine-g.box combo, the Isuzu set up will not be available within your budget. So i guess its best to go for the gypsy 1.3 engine and gearbox set-up retaining the 4wd. And most importantly since someone has already done this conversion and getting satisfactory result why not go for it?
Old 5th October 2010, 15:48   #5
BANNED

A king GB + 4WD Transfer case would set you back by approx 20K in Mayapuri. See if you can have some contacts there. if you want a 1.3 carb engine only, i'll be taking off mine
Old 5th October 2010, 17:14   #6
BHPian

No more plans for an engine change

Dear friends,
After talking to experts like Behramji, Arka, SStraveller, Fazal saab, DKG, Genesis, Harjeev et all I have decided that I will be keeping this cj4a stock & restore it slowly back to its glory with the help of all the team members.

This vehicle will not be used for my Jungle safari vehicle project & I will be on the lookout for another long wheel base commander for my project.

I request the moderators to close this thread. I will subsequently create another thread for the restoration.

AG.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:20   #7
BHPian

I thank all the members who have replied to me here and I request you guys to continue helping me in my search for a petrol engine for a LWB commander or a scrap gypsy that I will consider next for my project.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks