Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 21:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My love story -Willys Jeep

22k! Gulp! This is now making me think twice before giving my Jeep to the tinker/painter. On an encouraging note, 22k is worth it if the Jeep is returned to you in a GREAT condition!

I was planning to have my Jeep painted and took it to a paint shop close to where I live - his rough estimate - from a distance of about 10 meters was -- Sir it could be between 18 - 20k for a pucca job - may take up to 3 weeks. 5/6k for a quick job - 3 days. 2/3k for touch up 1 day max (all depending on the weather).

So Chanu - We are all waiting for the pics!
Old 20th December 2010, 22:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
22k! Gulp! This is now making me think twice before giving my Jeep to the tinker/painter. On an encouraging note, 22k is worth it if the Jeep is returned to you in a GREAT condition!

I was planning to have my Jeep painted and took it to a paint shop close to where I live - his rough estimate - from a distance of about 10 meters was -- Sir it could be between 18 - 20k for a pucca job - may take up to 3 weeks. 5/6k for a quick job - 3 days. 2/3k for touch up 1 day max (all depending on the weather).

So Chanu - We are all waiting for the pics!
The quote is more or less right but you need to also check the workmanship, check the jeeps the painter has done, speak to the owners who got their vehicles painted.

Now that the jeep is dented completely and there are no dents to cover few things the Hyderabadi style were adorned to the jeep which are the crash rubbers mounted on front bumper, front grille mesh, first aid box, spade and axe. As the jeep was adorning all the goodies and getting to finish line and ready for the paint I was extremely happy and hunt for a painter begun but to my dismay there were not many to choose (only two top painters) so had to go with what we had. 1st guy who wanted 25k not a single penny less and 1 months to take up the jeep and 1 month to complete the paint job, the 2nd guy who begun his business recently and spoke very convencing and agreed for 22k and the time committed was 1 month, sounded great and we got started...

But there is a twist here the twist is from the mankind and almighty. Mankind the painter took all the excuses to delay the paint and god almighty ushered frequent rains to delay the painting, what else the painter chilled out.
Attached Thumbnails
My love story -Willys Jeep-9.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-8.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-11.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-12.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-13.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 07:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bala bhai money doesn't matter in such restorations. you just have to set a maximum budget for the same and persist on it. These garage guys are known to spoil your mood stating kharchaa thodaa uppar niche ho sakta hai. One can't avoid such things but can keep some amount as reserve for this purpose.
BTW now a days, the complete painting work (i.e. stripping to bare metal) costs around 20 to 30K depending on the car. Regarding the denting work, you know how tough the Jeep's body is so its usual for the denter/tinker to ask for such price.

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st December 2010 at 08:00.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

AFAK Jeep restorations are much expensive to that of a car this I learnt when I got into jeep restoration. If one is planning to restore a Jeep to a company specification then lot of body parts are to be imported exp. Meters, Headlamps, Tail Lamp etc, cosmetics etc. There are few parts which are made in China which are relatively reasonable but the dealers here make it as expensive as original ones. I was asked 14000/- for a set of headlamp wells and rims only . lucky that this is a Willys had it been a Ford then a huge blow is waiting round the corner! an original Ford disc will cost you 5000/- plus, each 'F' marked nut is somewhere around 50/-. A reflecter would cost 350/- and 4 of them are required for a Jeep.

All the above is just for the body work, if okay to go for a Diesel engine then they come at a range of 35,000/- to 70,000/- depending on the engine you select, they are few brands you can select from TOYOTA, IZUZU etc.

I am happy with the outcome for a practical jeep I have but an American i.e., Cj7 or a Ford etc would cost you around a wooping amount of 6,00,000/-

Jeep is one machine which not only moves with the engine and lubes but one need to have a lot of passion & commitment for it.
Old 5th March 2011, 23:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am back to this thread with some more news of my beloved, sorry I have abandoned due to some constraints but promise will continue with the love story soon.

Since the jeep was restored few months ago there was no much development. There was a bad shortage of canvas cloth which is my fav top which now became true, yesterday got the new top stiched and got new shoes MRF NDMS 6.00 ply rating, now the warhead looks complete.
Attached Thumbnails
My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0264.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0266.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0267.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0270.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0272.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0273.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0274.jpg  

Old 6th March 2011, 00:24   #21
BHPian

Chanu,
Yours is definitely a love story!! Great write up and nice looking jeep!! Well you know that jeeps demand unconditional love!! So my friend, keep your love pampered!!
Old 8th March 2011, 17:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here are few more pictures. Summer top and new tyres makes my Jeep "Willie" a stunner, people don't stop starring her when parked.
Attached Thumbnails
My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0291.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0290.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0292.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0289.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0288.jpg  

Old 8th March 2011, 17:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bala bhai on getting new shoes and cap for your jeep. No doubt its a piece which surely makes it stand out in the crowd.

PS: Its high time you updated us on your Fiats. do post some recent pic or two on APU's thread. Any plans to start the restoration of either fiats.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:00   #24
BHPian

That is one awesome looking Willy's that I have ever seen, especially the Maverick sticker on the bottom left hand side at the back. I own a Santro which has a Maverick sticker at the back and now I recently acquired a Scorpio which I aptly named it as Maverick 2.

Would love to bump into you to admire your ride.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Chanu - Great looking jeep. Not sure if this has been noticed/mentioned before - The nazi symbol is an eyesore. (My opinion only).

Hope you don't get me wrong.

Regards,
Shub
Old 9th March 2011, 00:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Congrats Bala bhai on getting new shoes and cap for your jeep. No doubt its a piece which surely makes it stand out in the crowd.

PS: Its high time you updated us on your Fiats. do post some recent pic or two on APU's thread. Any plans to start the restoration of either fiats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post

Thanks Sagar, I take this jeep very seriously as its my long term desire which came true, I want to make this jeep the best looking and performing vehicle among the jeeper community though it is a repro of Cj2B to Cj2A.

APU and Paddu are undercover for now but hopefully Paddu (Premier Padmini) will come out soon as it also has got new tyres and will be back to transport family. APU is still in hibernation and will be that way for some more time as it will be restored fully the way it should be rather hanky panky business so when I say FULLY RESTORED i.e., Full load of Vitamin M

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
That is one awesome looking Willy's that I have ever seen, especially the Maverick sticker on the bottom left hand side at the back. I own a Santro which has a Maverick sticker at the back and now I recently acquired a Scorpio which I aptly named it as Maverick 2.

Would love to bump into you to admire your ride.
Thanks for your appreciations and now that you have been stung by Scorpio so welcome to the Jeepers community of Hyderabad, feel free to comeover I will call you PM me your mobile number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Chanu - Great looking jeep. Not sure if this has been noticed/mentioned before - The nazi symbol is an eyesore. (My opinion only).

Hope you don't get me wrong.

Regards,
Shub
No No No my friend, everyone is free to give their opinions, I didnt take you wrong my friend, infact few friends here also told me that Nazi symbol doesn't go well with this like an US flag jeep but when I put it on my jeep that was to pay tribute to my dad's motorcycle which is 1952 DKW a German made bike which was dismantled for a long long time and when we started into vintage/classic biking we gave it for restoration but due to the mechanic cheating the bike is again incomplete hence the Nazi flag couldn't adorn it as me and my bro's plan hence it's now on my jeep.

I will definately change it when I repaint if not need to repaint the whole bumper, please bare with me till 2012 then the jeep will turn Grey.
Old 12th March 2011, 00:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have encountered a new problem with the jeep. There was this over heating problem with the jeep when the old radiator was not supporting due to leakages which was later rectified by a 4 line radiator. The problem was resolved temperature was in and around 80-85 degree, I was happy but the other day all of a sudden the temp shot up to 120 degree and that too within a range of 10-12 kms can anyone advice me what is the issue with my jeep? and a solution to it .

One fellow jeeper says its due to the mesh I have put in the front of the grille but my mechanic denies that and infact the temp was ok (80-85 degree) when it was there, I am in a confusion and scared of the problem now. My concentration is getting diverted to the temp meter often while driving.
Old 12th March 2011, 01:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

is it happening regularly?

check if there is oil in radiator. (gasket leak!)

check the thermostat in the radiator?

also check for poor diesel supply.

may be a faulty temperature sensor/gauge or its loose wiring.

Last edited by jeepster : 12th March 2011 at 01:23.
Old 12th March 2011, 04:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Is the water/coolant evaporating fast? Is the temp gauge okay? Is there circulation when you start the jeep and open the radiator cap and see?
Old 12th March 2011, 06:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Bala,
If there is enough oil in your engine, is it circulating? Check if the oil and water pump are working, I suspect the fault in one of these two. The mesh will not make a difference to this extent.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 12th March 2011 at 07:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks