Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 21:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My love story -Willys Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
is it happening regularly?

check if there is oil in radiator. (gasket leak!)

check the thermostat in the radiator?

also check for poor diesel supply.

may be a faulty temperature sensor/gauge or its loose wiring.
Is it oil or coolant in the radiator? I will check for gasket leak but as of now no coolant is dripping. Thermostat and diesel supply will be checked, thanks jeepster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Is the water/coolant evaporating fast? Is the temp gauge okay? Is there circulation when you start the jeep and open the radiator cap and see?
No coolant is still in the same level, temp gauge is brand new along with the other gauges, that's a nice idea I will check for circulation when I start tomorrow, thanks Shubz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Bala,
If there is enough oil in your engine, is it circulating? Check if the oil and water pump are working, I suspect the fault in one of these two. The mesh will not make a difference to this extent.
Regards,
Yes the oil level is right and am not sure about circulation we will check. I will ask my mechanic to do the necessary as per your advice. Thanks fazal saab I will post the progress of the same.

Last edited by chanu : 12th March 2011 at 21:17.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hot Hot issue

Today after checking all the possibilities of temprature shooting up I drove the jeep for a good enough distance around 10-14kms range the temp shot up to 110 degree, immediately opened the bonnet and checked I was assuming the engine would be like an empty pan on the stove burining for few minutes but to my surprise the engine was okay not that hot as expected and another surprise is the reserve tank beside the radiator which was empty when started the ride is now full and the water is also murky, I see the water in the radiator is filling the reserve tank rather taking from it when level is dropping.

My question to all the gurus:

1. can I dummy the pipe going to reserve tank which is dropping the coolant level in the radiator.

2. If not what is the process to make the reserve tank work as it should.

3. Do I need to flush the radiator to clean the dirt as the water coming to reserve tank is murky, What is the right process?
Old 14th March 2011, 18:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Chanu,

Can you please post pics of the engine bay showing the mounting of the reserve coolant tank?

Flushing is simple. The mechanic would dismantle the hoses for the the coolant to flow off on its own and would then place a high pressure water jet at the top of the radiator (by removing the cap) and would hold it till the internals are all cleaned up (clean water flows out). Then fill in 4 ltrs of coolant and fill the rest up with water. (at least this was what was done to my Jeep)

Regards,
Shub
Old 14th March 2011, 19:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Today after checking all the possibilities of temprature shooting up I drove the jeep for a good enough distance around 10-14kms range the temp shot up to 110 degree, immediately opened the bonnet and checked I was assuming the engine would be like an empty pan on the stove burining for few minutes but to my surprise the engine was okay not that hot as expected and another surprise is the reserve tank beside the radiator which was empty when started the ride is now full and the water is also murky, I see the water in the radiator is filling the reserve tank rather taking from it when level is dropping.

My question to all the gurus:

1. can I dummy the pipe going to reserve tank which is dropping the coolant level in the radiator.

2. If not what is the process to make the reserve tank work as it should.

3. Do I need to flush the radiator to clean the dirt as the water coming to reserve tank is murky, What is the right process?
Hi Chanu,

I think you have blown your head gasket and the compression/exhaust is leaking into your water jacket and super heating the water coolant to evapourate, and depositing the silt in the Coolant Reservoir.

Please check the engine oil for water contamination.

Drive the vehicle around for a few days, carry a 10lts of water in the vehicle, during these test drives.

If the above incident is repeated, please get your vehicle checked by a good mechanic ASAP.

Regards,

Arka
Old 14th March 2011, 19:09   #35
BHPian

Re: Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Chanu,

I think you have blown your head gasket
Arka
I second Arka on that. While your engine is on, check whether you have bubbles in the radiator which would mean that the compression is leaking.

Check whether the radiator has leakages. If yes, add a spoon of turmeric (haldi) as a makeshift arrangement. You can get the leakage blocked and check again.
Old 14th March 2011, 19:25   #36
Team-BHP Support

Yup the mesh is proven to increase the temperature but by max of 5 to 10 deg on these analog meters, at the max, and that too in summer. We have done this experiment on diesel jeeps

If none of the above work ^^^

I would suggest you take a step by step approach. Clean the radiator first and fill with good coolant or water. Then check the oil and coolant for any sort of contamination after running it for about 20 kms. Next would be to check the water pump and oil pump.

You should nail the issue by this.
Old 15th March 2011, 01:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody confirm if the process of flushing out radiator is the right way to do it?

Thank you all in advance.
Shubz
Old 15th March 2011, 01:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chanu,

Can you please post pics of the engine bay showing the mounting of the reserve coolant tank?

Flushing is simple. The mechanic would dismantle the hoses for the the coolant to flow off on its own and would then place a high pressure water jet at the top of the radiator (by removing the cap) and would hold it till the internals are all cleaned up (clean water flows out). Then fill in 4 ltrs of coolant and fill the rest up with water. (at least this was what was done to my Jeep)

Regards,
Shub
Thanks Shubz bhai for the tip coincidently today I got the radiator flushed with the same way as you suggested, I could see a lot of silt flowing out from the hose and then clean water emerged and we fixed the hose, after that the vehicles heating problem did come down but its still persisting the temperature meter is showing close to 100 degree after a drive of 15-20 kms drive but I also doubt on long drives it might touch 120 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Chanu,

I think you have blown your head gasket and the compression/exhaust is leaking into your water jacket and super heating the water coolant to evapourate, and depositing the silt in the Coolant Reservoir.

Please check the engine oil for water contamination.

Drive the vehicle around for a few days, carry a 10lts of water in the vehicle, during these test drives.

If the above incident is repeated, please get your vehicle checked by a good mechanic ASAP.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka, you are right I could see a sudden dip in my vehicles performance. I have a 3 speed transmission and I used to easily cruise on inclines, speed breakers on 3rd to 2nd gear but now the vehicle doesnt go the same way its asking for 1st gear and for that I need to really stop the vehicle to a halt to use 1st gear, however once the vehicle is on highway its has good momentum and performance is pretty good. I couldnt understand this behaviour.

I have 5 lts of water always behind the rear seat just in case. I will ask to check the head gasket, there is no water contamination till we checked few days ago but to make sure I will do it tomorrow.

I could find lot of silt flowing from the reservoir box and while flushing the radiator aswell. I will refer this issue with the mechanic. Thanks once again for helping me friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
I second Arka on that. While your engine is on, check whether you have bubbles in the radiator which would mean that the compression is leaking.

Check whether the radiator has leakages. If yes, add a spoon of turmeric (haldi) as a makeshift arrangement. You can get the leakage blocked and check again.
Yes! Yes! I could find bubbles coming through the lid when open, radiator is perfect, there are no leaks at all as it is a 4 line radiator purchased 3 months ago. Haldi idea is good and Indian, good one Sabreesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup the mesh is proven to increase the temperature but by max of 5 to 10 deg on these analog meters, at the max, and that too in summer. We have done this experiment on diesel jeeps

If none of the above work ^^^

I would suggest you take a step by step approach. Clean the radiator first and fill with good coolant or water. Then check the oil and coolant for any sort of contamination after running it for about 20 kms. Next would be to check the water pump and oil pump.

You should nail the issue by this.
I hope so, 1 step is done today by flushing the radiator, oil and coolant contamination will be checked tomorrow, I will jot down all the points given by all jeepers and will discuss with the mechanic. Thanks for helping me. I can remove the mesh which is no good than a good look addition but the vehicle was good till last week with the mesh aswell.

Quote:
Can anybody confirm if the process of flushing out radiator is the right way to do it?

Thank you all in advance.
Shubz
Even I wanted to know the same Shubz bhai and what is the ratio of mixing coolant and water? How important is it to use distilled water ?

This temperature issue not only heating up my jeep's issue but also my peace of mind and patience.
Old 15th March 2011, 18:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

The ratio used was simple - 4 ltrs of coolant, rest was topped up with water up to the neck of the radiator. And what distill water?? Normal water was filled and I guess normal water is what goes to the radiator. Guru's --> Advise please!

And I guess you should go beyond doubting the radiator. As Arka and others mentioned/suggested.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:41   #40
Team-BHP Support

You can use normal clean water, ideally least salty variety you can get your hands own. So river water preferred over ground. That is all.
Old 15th March 2011, 23:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

I guess I've got the success till now temprature is within 100 degree and night times within 90 degree, I will not stop here will check for other possibilities and probabilities, by the by can others jeepers who use Peugeot engine do they observe any increase 05-10 degree in this summer?
Old 16th March 2011, 00:05   #42
Team-BHP Support

ahhh its a diesel eh!! i somehow mistook it with petrol. Yes 5-10 deg temp gauge reading is kind of normal with diesels especially in heavy load and high heat situation like AC or stop and go traffic. Just my observation, let diesel guru's comment further

Can you post picture of engine bay, the radiator and the fan especially. Do you have the radiator shroud?

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th March 2011 at 00:07.
Old 16th March 2011, 00:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

"ahhh its a diesel eh!! i somehow mistook it with petrol"

What's so eh!! about it Jaggu? Yes it's a Diesel engined Jeep and I am extremely happy with it.
Old 16th March 2011, 00:36   #44
Team-BHP Support

It was a mistake from my side yaar! i somehow thought it was a petrol. That is all and i should have realized when you said 120 deg temperature. That is all.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Chanu sir, Jaggu's "Eh" did not have any malice. He and I both have petrol engines and we didn't really think of your engine to be diesel. And all along we have been talking out of experience in general. Radiator I guess its the same method/s irrespective of the engine. The rest - head gasket et al, are for the jeep gurus to advise on.

We would love to see pics of the engine bay, coolant reservoir, radiator shroud etc.

Last edited by Shubz : 16th March 2011 at 18:41. Reason: added another line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks