Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 17:06   #76
BHPian

Re: Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off

I am still awaiting the RC.

Although the guy has offered me to move the vehicle prior to receiving RC (so that he can make space for other vehicles), I have declined the offer.
I have taken the opportunity to have the Military colour covered up with Grey.
Have also taken a couple of Pics of the rear Seats before it gets shrouded by the soft top.

I intend do drive a little bit before turning it in for any repairs. SO I cannot comment on your expenses right now.

Shall open another thread separately later about it.

Regards and Happy Driving

Amrik Singh
Old 8th May 2011, 12:26   #77
BHPian

She's neat, very tough to find an army disposal vehicle of this kind. My only question here is- Army normally dispose vehicles which are of Class five "CL V" this is a Class III (three) Are you sure you got this from a reliable contact ?

Its alarming because, usually when a vehicle is scheduled to a disposal Depot, the workshop team sources out almost all the working parts of the vehicle and is usually towed to the Ordnance Depot. I served the army for a about 7 years ;-)
Old 9th May 2011, 09:37   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
Its alarming because, usually when a vehicle is scheduled to a disposal Depot, the workshop team sources out almost all the working parts of the vehicle and is usually towed to the Ordnance Depot.
You may be right in your experience when the supply of vehicles was in short supply. Vehicles were ususally scrapped due to unrepairable damages. It appears that now thy look for the age of the vehicle and scrap it off.

I have collected my Gypsy and just drove it off from Mayapuri. No major repairs or parts replaced by the seller. He has reported only tuning the engine and Tappets.

A used Hardtop is selected and due to be fitted next week. The Seat bels were so dirty and soiled that I had to remove and dip them in Kerosene to cleanse them.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:07   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I have collected my Gypsy and just drove it off from Mayapuri. No major repairs or parts replaced by the seller. He has reported only tuning the engine and Tappets.
Lucky you Good that things have changed. I used to pity the way vehicles used to be sent to the depot.

Post pics after the hard top is done.
Old 27th April 2020, 14:57   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post

Anyway, what's your take on the costings below.
Hi blacknebula,

Can you share the list of items file in Excel format?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 27th April 2020 at 15:03. Reason: Minor typo and trimmed the post within quotes. Thanks.
Old 27th April 2020, 17:02   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrsuresh View Post
Hi blacknebula, Can you share the list of items file in Excel formatt?
He did in post 68 of thread. Attached herein for your reday perusal.
Gypsy Works.xlsx

Do note that given costs are 4 years OLD.

Regards-SS
Old 16th April 2024, 01:38   #82
BHPian

An army disposal gypsy - good idea or bad

Hello BHPians,

I am writing this post to get some rational views on a decision that I have to make, it's a rather interesting dilemma, whether or not to buy an army disposal gypsy. I know it's rather impractical to get an abused gypsy, but it will only serve as a leisure vehicle to drive top-down on a Sunday morning or maybe take it on an off-road adventure on a random weekend.

As far as I have researched, most of the parts of the gypsy are very cheap and should be easily available, so restoring it shouldn't be a problem. The advice that I seek from the wise members here are

1) The place where I may get a trusted model of such gypsy at the cheapest rate.

2) The process to get it registered and road legal.

3) Right price for such an example and anything I should look out for.

I will repeat that this will not be a daily driver but a passion project as my father was in the army and we thought this should make a good third vehicle for offroading and top-down rides, we initially thought about getting a New Thar but decided against it as 20 lakhs for a weekend vehicle didn't sound wise, instead we will use that moolah to get a family vehicle to upgrade to from our City. That's where the thought of gypsy as a weekend ride came.

Looking forward to your views on this.

Cheers
W16Rocks
Attached Images

Last edited by W16rocks : 16th April 2024 at 01:46.
Old 16th April 2024, 06:39   #83
BANNED

Re: An army disposal gypsy - good idea or bad

To find one, search on internet sites like OLX or Quikr, and also check at local auctions or army surplus shops for good deals. To get it ready for the road legally, you will normally need to complete some forms and have it checked. Because it is a former military vehicle, make sure to have all required papers ready. Regarding the cost, it is approximately 2 to 4 lakh rupees; however, pay attention for rust, problems with the engine and any significant repairs that are necessary. Considering your father's history in the army, this appears to be a significant project.
EnigmaExplorer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:23   #84
BHPian

Re: An army disposal gypsy - good idea or bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaExplorer View Post
To find one, search on internet sites like OLX or Quikr, and also check at local auctions or army surplus shops for good deals. To get it ready for the road legally, you will normally need to complete some forms and have it checked. Because it is a former military vehicle, make sure to have all required papers ready. Regarding the cost, it is approximately 2 to 4 lakh rupees; however, pay attention for rust, problems with the engine and any significant repairs that are necessary. Considering your father's history in the army, this appears to be a significant project.

Thank you for the ideas, but actually I am looking to avoid OLX as it has highly inflated prices and modified examples, I am looking for a drivable example which I will turn back into stock gypsy, any suggestions regarding my search are welcome.

Cheers
W16Rocks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks