Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics

I came across this thread which was started by my friend KPS and found it fascinating. To those who are not aware, Remi (Herge) was a stickler for detail and went to great lengths to ensure accuracy and detail in his drawings. The book "Tintin - The Complete Companion" by Michael Farr (referred to earlier in this thread) has a wealth of information on the stories behind the stories or how Herge researched and drew each of the stories. All pictures are from that book and duly credited.

While there are several details in the book, I found the extent of research on the automobiles (as also, planes, trains and ships) which resulted in the same being reflected in the drawings highly insightful. Hope the viewers of this thread find some of these as fascinating as I did.

Car chase in "Tintin and the Land of the Soviets". The car in which Tintin is travelling is based on a 1927 Mercedes Type S Sports.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-1.jpg

Tintin and the Land of the Soviets - A motorcycle with Sidecar is reproduced with high accuracy. What is interesting is the picture is a typical "continental" layout with the sidecar on the right side of the motorbike, while the actual drawing has the "British" layout with the side car on the left as is the norm in countries that drive on the left.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-2.jpg

In "Cigars of the Pharaoh" the car chase on the cliff side is reproduced in detail from what I think is a Bugatti based on the shape of the radiator

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-4.jpg

In the "Blue Lotus" there is again a motorcycle with sidecar with the distinctive torpedo shape reproduced with a high level of detail

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-5.jpg

In the same book, the armoured vehicle sent to pursue Tintin is based on a French Army armoured vehicle of the era. Do note the then Japanese flag drawn on the side.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-6.jpg

In "The Land of Black Gold", the Jeep is based on a US Army Jeep. Presumably a Ford GPW. Do also note the accuracy of reproduction of the ship and the Spitfire plane.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-11.jpg

In the "Calculus Affair", the bus in Switzerland is based on the then buses that plied in the streets of Switzerland. See the last panel of the picture below.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-12.jpg

In addition to cars and motorcycles, Herge also went to great lengths on other means of transport such as planes, trains and ships. An example of the Spitfire and the ship is above. In the "Black Island", our intrepid hero extensively used the railway. The engines are based both on the legendary "Flying Scotsman" steam locomotive as well as a BB type electric engine. Also note the period British Rail uniform reproduced accurately

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-8.jpg

In "The Broken Ear", both the aeroplane as well as the flying boat were based on period aircraft. The aeroplane was based on the tri-engined Junkers Ju-52 and the flying boat on a H24-2 by Liore et Olivier. The F-NAB on the flying boat means it is that of Air France.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-7.jpg

In "Crab with the Golden Claws", the ship Karaboudjan, was based on an actual ship, the "Glengaarry"

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-9.jpg

The level of accuracy also extended to aspects such as submarines which were not extensively known outside military circles during the time of the original drawings. (Not the subsequent colour reproductions). "Red Rackhams Treasure" provides two fine examples.

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-10.jpg

There were of course several cars and other vehicles scattered across the books many of which have been described in earlier posts.

Cheers,
MN
vanam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:09   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

We were visiting friend of ours in Brussels, Belgium a few months ago.
Was nice to see them and we spend some time roaming around Brussels as well.

We visited the new train museum as well. Very nice, well curated museum. Lots to see and do. As it so happens they had a special exhibition on about Tintin.

See http://en.tintin.com/news/index/rub/...at-train-world.

Look at the last photograph in the above link. This whisky wagon is a replica from one of his adventures

Tintin travelled a lot and trains figure frequently in his travels.

Tintin was all over the museum:

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-pc112177.jpg
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:47   #63
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

An article in today's Mumbai Mirror

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/60343826.cms

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-60343829.jpg
(From Top)The Tintin Rally which will set out today is not just about the cars. Costumed participants bring alive characters from the comics ; The supercharged Mercedes-Benz made it to the cover of the recently released colour version of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets; The Ford Model T (left), similar to the one in Tintin in the Congo, and the Triumph Herald 1200 from The Black Island on display at last year’s event.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2017 at 12:13. Reason: Tiny formatting issue
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 08:30   #64

Tintin Rocket made by me, Its about 6 inches tall

DeHavilland Mosquito & Diamler Armoured cars from Tintin Red Sea Sharks
Models built by me.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st December 2017 at 11:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts
rideto_live is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 23:16   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideto_live View Post
Tintin Rocket made by me, Its about 6 inches tall

DeHavilland Mosquito & Diamler Armoured cars from Tintin Red Sea Sharks
Models built by me.
These seriously rock. Awesome \m/
Old 9th May 2018, 12:38   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

We just spend some four days touring France in our classic Alfa Romeo Spider with some friends. We went to one of the many Brocante Markets. As always there were quite a few model cars about.

Just as we were making our way back to our cars I spotted this little truck sitting atop on one of the market stalls. I liked it and it looked somewhat familiar, but I could not think why. Until I looked underneath and it showed the name Herge Moulinsart! When I looked more closely I could see TinTin in the back. It also says Le Lotus Blue. Which is the name of one of the TinTin comics where this car featured. At first it did not register as I read my TinTin’s in Dutch. So this particular episode was known as “De Blauwe Lotus”.

Anyway the wanted 3 Euro’s for it, which is very reasonable as the model is in excellent condition!

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-p5093705.jpg

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-p5093703.jpg

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-p5093704.jpg

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 09:16   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

A treat for Tintin fans, these figurines are available in India

Find them here

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-20191229_091451.jpg

Vintage & Classic Cars seen in Tintin Comics-20191229_091502.jpg
Old 28th August 2020, 15:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

I happened to read The Calculus Affair on my iPad last night. I remembered that this thread exists on Team BHP.
It was so much fun to check out all the Tintin cars on this thread. There are many more that can be identified. There's a Chrysler in the same album with even it's name mentioned. A circa 1955 model Chrysler I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks