Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 02:05   #1
BHPian

A Hindustan in the UK

Hi Friends

Thought you might be interested in seeing a picture of a friend's Hindustan - bought new by him from the UK importer in 2004. Very few of these are imported into the UK each year - the cost being VERY high (£12.000 plus). This car is used every day, in all weathers and despite the best efforts of the UK climate, is still looking very tidy

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
A Hindustan in the UK-001-2.jpg  

edsuede is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2010, 10:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this car looks very neat and tidy.

Ambassador cars was briefly imported to the United Kingdom in 1993 as the Fullbore Mark 10.

From 2002, the Ambassador has been available new in the UK from Merlin Garages, an importer in Wales.

http://www.merlingarages.co.uk/ambassador.htm

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 25th October 2010 at 10:04. Reason: Edit
Old 25th October 2010, 10:40   #3
BHPian

When I was living in the UK, I used to regularly spot two Ambys in and around central London. One was brown and the other was kinda off white(ish). Both cars had weird (plastic?) flowers completely covering the bumpers. Both of them are kinda famous among South Asian Londoners.

I had a few snaps of the off white one in my old laptop, can't seem to find it now though...
Old 25th October 2010, 21:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
When I was living in the UK, I used to regularly spot two Ambys in and around central London. One was brown and the other was kinda off white(ish). Both cars had weird (plastic?) flowers completely covering the bumpers. Both of them are kinda famous among South Asian Londoners.

I had a few snaps of the off white one in my old laptop, can't seem to find it now though...
Coloneljasi

I think the cars you refer to are owned by a London cab firm (Karma cabs) who own a fleet of 4-5 of these vehicles.

I had a chance to buy the car shown here by me this year but was put off by the spares situation - most of the spares have to be ordered in especially and from my friend's experience, parts then take many months and many follow up emails before they arrive. I do adore Ambys though - have done since I saw a picture of one in the late 1970s in a world cars guide published in the UK. I was amazed then that an old design was still in production - even more amazed (and delighted!) that they're still going still

Regards
Ed
Old 26th October 2010, 16:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I had a chance to buy the car shown here by me this year but was put off by the spares situation - most of the spares have to be ordered in especially and from my friend's experience, parts then take many months and many follow up emails before they arrive.
Dear Ed Plenty of parts are available from India directly and very easily. Many Bhpians own Pre 60's Amby's and I am sure we can help you keep one on the road.
Old 26th October 2010, 21:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

they were imported in limited numbers by some car dealers in UK. heater and seat-belts were added at that time.
They basically Isuzu derived engines, hence parts should not be a problem in car heavens like UK. Moreover Amby uses very crude dated technology and design. Repair is also not a big deal.
Old 26th October 2010, 22:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This Ambassador is from Surrey, UK.It belongs to the Spares Secretary of the Morris Cowley, Oxford and Issis Owners Club, Oxford , UK. He had mailed me two pictures of his restored Ambassador in 2009, which he and his wife have named as Sachin after Sachin Tendulkar.Incidentally the couple is an avid cricket fan and were too impressed by Sachin's batting in the India-England matches then in 2009.
Note the Morris logos on the bonnet and on the hubcaps too.Also note the original taillights and the plasticky dashboard of the Ambassador. They had got some taxi pictures from India mailed by me, to adapt a colour scheme.They had used the heater to warm up their workshop and spray paint the car during winter of 2009.
A Hindustan in the UK-rich-amby1.jpg

A Hindustan in the UK-rich-amby.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 21:50   #8
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your replies to my thread.

I can't afford to buy my friend's car now as I bought another car instead but I do get to see it occasionally and have had a ride in it.

The spares that the owner has had on order from Hindustan for months now are new discs for the disc brake system at the front of the car.

I take the valid point about the engine being Isuzu and as such, engine spares will be available easily in the UK - it's an 1800 petrol engine - the same one that was used in the Bedford Midi panel van here in the UK. I imagine that should he ever need body panels it would be a big job getting hold of them though as it's unlikely anyone has them in stock in the UK.

Thanks Anjan for posting the photos - much appreciated. I like the detail mods to this Amby alot - although to most on this forum it probably just looks like another Amby taxi

Regards
Ed
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your replies to my thread.
I take the valid point about the engine being Isuzu and as such, engine spares will be available easily in the UK - it's an 1800 petrol engine - the same one that was used in the Bedford Midi panel van here in the UK. I imagine that should he ever need body panels it would be a big job getting hold of them though as it's unlikely anyone has them in stock in the UK.

Thanks Anjan for posting the photos - much appreciated. I like the detail mods to this Amby alot - although to most on this forum it probably just looks like another Amby taxi

Regards
Ed
Thanks edsuede- some more information from the Spares Secretary, Morris Cowley,Oxford and Issis Owner's Club, UK:-
"The Ambassador engine, [ Isuzu 1817cc ] was used here in the Bedford, then Vauxhall Midi van, so all engine parts, starter, alternator are available here fairly easily. What is not available however are parts for the MPFI system used on the later Ambassadors. There was also an Isuzu Imprezza model with a turbocharged motor available for a short time here, one of those in an Ambassador would be interesting ! About 130 brake horse power apparently."
Old 3rd November 2010, 23:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks edsuede- some more information from the Spares Secretary, Morris Cowley,Oxford and Issis Owner's Club, UK:-
"The Ambassador engine, [ Isuzu 1817cc ] was used here in the Bedford, then Vauxhall Midi van, so all engine parts, starter, alternator are available here fairly easily. What is not available however are parts for the MPFI system used on the later Ambassadors. There was also an Isuzu Imprezza model with a turbocharged motor available for a short time here, one of those in an Ambassador would be interesting ! About 130 brake horse power apparently."
Agree totally Anjan - an Imprezza engined Amby would be highly interesting - especially if cornered at speed

I'm curious - does anyone on here know of any 'interesting' engine transplants actually carried out on Ambys?

Regards
Ed
Old 10th February 2011, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Re: A Hindustan in the UK

Amby in London.

Great to hear this news.Its really great.

"Indian Fantasy in London ".Before Independence ( British )they took many things from India except Amby,Since its not there at that time.

Great to See our Car in their Roads...
Old 10th February 2011, 18:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I imagine that should he ever need body panels it would be a big job getting hold of them though as it's unlikely anyone has them in stock in the UK.
Ed, why so?? Wouldnt Morris Oxford series 3 panels fit on this car, considering its based on the former?
Old 10th February 2011, 19:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

I remember seeing one in Covent Garden.

I met Tobias, the owner of Karma KAbs in Jodhpur, he was telling me that the cost of meeting taxi regulations etc meant that continuing the taxi service was getting tougher
Old 13th June 2011, 18:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Two more Hindustan Ambassador images from the U.K.. They generally spruce up the whole car with goodies and then re-badge it as a Morris Oxford Series III.However these two have not been re-badged as will be evident from the HM badge on the taxi's bonnet and the ISZ1800 badge, Bharat Stage ___ and other Amby stickers on the rear boot of the other one, that has been repainted with a period two tone.
A Hindustan in the UK-scan0042.jpg

A Hindustan in the UK-scan0041.jpg
Picture Source MCOIC, Oxford Spring 2011 Q F journal

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th June 2011 at 18:57.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 15:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

My uncle mailed them to me. So don't know the source.

A Hindustan in the UK-hm-oxford-uk-2.jpg

A Hindustan in the UK-hm-oxford-uk-3.jpg

A Hindustan in the UK-hm-oxford-uk-4.jpg
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks