Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2006, 17:56   #1
BHPian

The custom cycle thread!!!

Was recently thinking of building one of these, they are simply beautiful, not as powerful as their gas fuelled beasts but beautiful nonetheless!!!

"The GDH2 chopper bicycle has a 2" wide belt drive system. A locked 8" chain drive sprocket is threaded on to the rear wheel hud, and is drive dy a 4.5" rear drive sprocket. A freewheel drive sprocket is designed into the belt drive system that allows the drive belt and the rear wheel to coast when the rider stops pedaling. With a five speed suicide shifter, its low sleek design and the continuous movement of the drive belt, and the rear wheel drive chain sprockets, gives a feeling of what its like to rided a real chopper. "

Sweet aint it???
Post pics of other cycles here......

Courtesy: www.dragsterbikes.com
Old 18th May 2006, 18:15   #2
BHPian

You know what Ed, the recumbent ones which have a complete backrest really make some mean acceleration possible, in fact on an adequately low gear, you get close to wheel spin.
I can't post attachments. So can't show pics.
By the way, bicycling is another hobby of mine. But I ride a regular drop bar type.
Old 18th May 2006, 18:18   #3
BHPian

Sweet just hope i had something like this in my cycle days. but don't u think it'll be a bit hard to paddel that bike with those fat rear tyre
Old 18th May 2006, 18:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner
Sweet just hope i had something like this in my cycle days. but don't u think it'll be a bit hard to paddel that bike with those fat rear tyre
You really think so??? Have you read what gearing that bike has??? It will be a breeze to ride it, easy riding, it's called!!!

Cycling is another passion for me, one tBhp member has a neat cycle in his garage, i ride a Hero Swing 18-speed Shimano GripShift!!
Old 18th May 2006, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Cycling is another passion for me, one tBhp member has a neat cycle in his garage, i ride a Hero Swing 18-speed Shimano GripShift!!
unfortunately the only cycle i got to ride was a regular hero honda girlie bike with a metal basket in front for my doggie!!!!
he used to wait for me to come back from school for a ride every day!!!
but yeah i loved cycling too and still miss it
Old 18th May 2006, 18:51   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

whoa !!!!! This is the first time i've seen something like this! insane stuff
Old 18th May 2006, 19:11   #7
BHPian

With a bike like this, you don't need a stand!!!!

Courtsey: www.dragsterbikes.com
Old 18th May 2006, 20:54   #8
BHPian

well that sure answers my doubt..
Old 19th May 2006, 09:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey Edmund,

Its great that you brought this topic up.
Im a big bicycle fan too, (though not really the type you posted sorry )

I am actually working on a recumbent bicycle in class with 14 other students. Its a carbon fibre seat/structure with a chromoly front. Its front wheel drive.
It should be ready on saturday.

Some pics attached below are

1. A 5hour cut and weld job to make a "backwards bicycle" as research.
2. Full carbonfibre monocoque trike made by my teacher
3. One of the very rare rear steering bikes that actually work (mostly they are OVERSTEER at high speed)
4. Few of the many bikes built by him.

prabuddhadg,

Let see some pics of your bike...

I have a specialized hardrock. I just upgraded to a manitou 80-120mm travel fork....awesome.
Damn it gets expensive!!

One of my friends is building up a bike, part by part, month by month with the money he is earning, and it is going to cost ~$2,800. All superb components. Will be a full suspension MTB. Just got the raceface crankset today.

More on this later.
cya
R
Old 19th May 2006, 09:50   #10
BANNED

Nice thread...
OT..Rehaan finally something you can give good inputs on.. CYCLES.. lol!
Old 19th May 2006, 10:10   #11
BHPian

Rehaan, That's an extremely interesting collection of trikes you have there. Front wheel drive and rear steering is something I am curious about. How does it feel?
I do not have pics of my bike handy. Will definitely post them from home (in office now). I have pics in my home pc.
Its a Hero bicycle, with a Shimano 10 speed set up, ratios not too low, not high either. Mostly set up for street riding, not touring. I have considered alloy rims but I could only find 1" rims in Bombay. Actually, with our kinds of roads, I would prefer slightly fatter tyres, but 27" tyres do not come in so many widths.
I have some components changed here and there, a handlebar extension and toeclips. Once you get used to them, you feel secure in them even in heavy traffic.
Actually, Calcutta had more bicycle friendly traffic and I used to regularly ride 25-30 km almost every other day. Here in Bombay, with those Best buses and concrete roads with cracks, I hardly feel safe riding on even S V Road.
By the way any cyclists in Bombay? Where do you ride?
Old 19th May 2006, 11:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hey Prabuddhadg,

Well.....the funny thing is that i havent ever ridden a recumbent, or a rear steering, or a front wheel drive bike yet!
But when the bike is complete on sunday that shall be my first time!

I dont have a cycle in bombay....but i plan to bring my current bike down in a year.
Mostly what i do is jump of things, and fall a lot.
Would really like to take it out of the city and do some trailriding!!
If anyone is interested in doing some mountainbiking do post here and i will get back to you in about a year

cya
R

ps - when you say "alloy rims" dyu mean non-spoked kinda rims? like the 3 "spoke" alloys?
25-30km a day :O too bad there arent more people using bicycles in the city!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2006 at 11:50.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Edmund,

Its great that you brought this topic up.
Im a big bicycle fan too, (though not really the type you posted sorry )
That's cool, as long as it's cycles we're talking about!!!

Quote:
I dont have a cycle in bombay....but i plan to bring my current bike down in a year.
Mostly what i do is jump of things, and fall a lot.
Would really like to take it out of the city and do some trailriding!!
If anyone is interested in doing some mountainbiking do post here and i will get back to you in about a year
What is your current bike? And your class teacher has an amazing collection!!

Trail riding is great fun, Here in Pune we had BSA organize something called "The moonlight trail" on every full moon saturday in december, we were picked up at 2300hrs by bus and they took us to a very isolated place in a village near Panshet dam, The bikes were provided by BSA,the trail was fun even though it wasnt a hardcore off-road trail......... but yeah a nice trail with our own bikes will be awesome!!!

Jump off things and fall off,........... been there done that had loads of bruised shins, cut lips, gashed chins and grazed elbows and knees!!! Still do it though!!!
Old 19th May 2006, 23:30   #14
BHPian

This is a gr8 thread, found to see different types of bicycles.
Old 20th May 2006, 14:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Prabuddhadg,

ps - when you say "alloy rims" dyu mean non-spoked kinda rims? like the 3 "spoke" alloys?
25-30km a day :O too bad there arent more people using bicycles in the city!!
Sorry I was off line for a pretty long time. Alloy rims meaning those basic aluminium alloy rims all standard bicycles generally have. Indian bikes made for Indian consumption still have steel rims which mean a lot or weight, like some heavy flywheel.
And the 25-30 km was back in Calcutta. Here I am mostly a Sunday cyclist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks