Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 15:59   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pelhar dam (Vasai-Virar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Route: Ghatkopar - Andheri - Dahisar - Vasai - Pelhar - Dahisar - Aarey colony - Ghatkopar
Beautiful locale and awesome weather buddy. Bombay has some serious greenery right outside, and a few hills as well, if you are willing to ride a bit. Of course where Bombay is concerned, everything is up, while the return leg is down. Poona you get a lot of rolling terrain to keep things lively.

By the way, don't you even carry a small saddlebag for multi-tool and puncture kit or your rides?

Had a 2 day weekend so did a solo chilled out Kamshet century on Saturday. Not much rain but at least the weather was pleasant ...

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img_20200822_083242.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img_20200822_093659.jpg

On Sunday teamed up with two other riding buddies with an initial plan to do a 200 km Bhigwan (bird sanctuary) run. However, an early puncture barely out of Poona, and then the rear shifter on my friend's roadie acting up with him stuck in the small ring and the smallest rear cog, meant that we realigned expectations and halved the distance. Good we did that because the headwinds throughout were killer, on top of which there was not a drop of rain and then the sun came out to compound things further. Good tough ride nonetheless, can't always have things your way, so got to take the rough with the smooth ...

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200823wa0013.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200823wa0010.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th August 2020 at 16:00.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 17:02   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Beautiful locale and awesome weather buddy. Bombay has some serious greenery right outside, and a few hills as well, if you are willing to ride a bit. Of course where Bombay is concerned, everything is up, while the return leg is down. Poona you get a lot of rolling terrain to keep things lively.
Yea and somehow I never gave thought to the Vasai side hills. There's an awesome climb over the hills right next to the Pelhar dam. I need company for such climb so probably it's on the cards one of the next weekends if I can push my friend to do it.

Quote:
By the way, don't you even carry a small saddlebag for multi-tool and puncture kit or your rides?
Have one but been ignoring it.
I picked up a better accessory over the last half-decade; puncture resistant tires. The roadbike has Schwalbe Duranos, got Vittoria Randonneur tires for the hybrid. The former still hasn't had a puncture since 2015. The Cannondale came with Kenda tires that got a puncture within the first long ride; so far the Vittoria tires have nearly done ~1k kms with no issues. And I take them on really bad roads too without any issue. It's supposed to have a very high rolling resistance but for 700 bucks a piece, it's a steal for the functionality it provides!

Quote:
Had a 2 day weekend so did a solo chilled out Kamshet century on Saturday. Not much rain but at least the weather was pleasant ...
Good we did that because the headwinds throughout were killer, on top of which there was not a drop of rain and then the sun came out to compound things further. Good tough ride nonetheless, can't always have things your way, so got to take the rough with the smooth ...
I fear the rains are done for this year doc. Pune dries up much earlier than Bombay so I guess I still have a week or two to enjoy the rainy rides.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 17:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I picked up a better accessory over the last half-decade; puncture resistant tires.

I fear the rains are done for this year doc. Pune dries up much earlier than Bombay so I guess I still have a week or two to enjoy the rainy rides.
Nice tip on the Vittoria Randonneurs at 700 bucks a tyre. Will check them out.

I discovered a similar priced road bike tyre with puncture resistance from Vittoria called the Zaffiro. In 23c and 25c. The blue BTwin in the photo has that at the rear. Slightly heavier rolling, but as you said, for the price, if it saves you from the hassle and time waste of punctures, the slight penalty is worth it.

Last year Poona got heavy rains till well into November, so I'm not giving up hope yet!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 10:45   #79
BHPian

Hi ninjatalli, really loved your enthusiasm for cycling through your photography and writing skills. Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips.

Is there a good blog that you can point to for someone new to cycling, especially what best cycle to buy for starts?
Old 31st August 2020, 14:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!

Lions in the Mist!

Most amazing ride with my buddy yesterday to Lion's Point, Khandala, just before the descent proper of the Bhor ghat starts. Weather was mind numbingly beautiful, as can be literally felt through the photos. Had our fill of a year's supply of rain throughout the ride, non-stop, getting really heavy after Kamshet and then coming down in sheets of rain with near zero visibility after Karla Caves as we approached Lonavala. Super nice 150 km ride in the lap of nature with all of heaven's bounty poured down upon us!

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img_20200830_104020_1.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200830wa0011.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200830wa0018.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200830wa0019.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img_20200830_110345.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200830wa0013.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200830wa0015.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img_20200830_113943.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 19:06   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Chota Morbe dam

Route: Ghatkopar - Vashi - Sanpada - Kamothe - Taloja - Kamothe - Vashi - Ghatkopar (Link)

Distance: ~100 kms

Difficulty: Moderate

Difficulty: With the monsoon season tapering off, this was one of the last few attempts at visiting the nearby waterholes to salvage the rain-water infused streams and falls. And again within a range of 50 kms from the city.

And I didn't have to look far - I had already known about this sister dam of the larger Morbe dam (just a few kms ahead from Panvel city), known as "Chota Morbe dam" (translation: smaller Morbe dam). The route was through Taloja industrial estate again so didn't have to do a lot of prep/planning for the route either.

Early morning my friend ditched me (zzzzz) so I had to do the ride all alone. The weather forecast was showing cloudy weather with a few rains so I was hopeful it'll be a pleasant ride. Alas. It turned out to be a hot hot day, especially on the return route; although thankfully the clouds did show up for a while when I reached the dam.

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20200811_081956.jpg
Again this dam is just about 5 kms from the industrial hub of Taloja

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20200811_082049.jpg
A paranomic attempt to get the beautiful locale in one picture...

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20200811_082227.jpg
A rare pic of myself

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20200811_082354.jpg
The serenity of the place was mind blowing...

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20200906_073714.jpg
Of course I climbed down... And of course I had a nice dip in the water

After some 15-20 mins in the water, I finally decided to call it a day and head back due to two reasons - the sun was coming out again, and so were the junta. Thankfully it was still only a car or two so still the place is kinda hidden I could guess.

And that's where I faced the uphill task - full on dry heat all through the ride back home! It felt as if I was riding in April or May rather than September! Took 2+ more hours but finally made it back home for brunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeff View Post
Hi ninjatalli, really loved your enthusiasm for cycling through your photography and writing skills. Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips.

Is there a good blog that you can point to for someone new to cycling, especially what best cycle to buy for starts?
Thanks for the kind words. As for your query, there isn't a one answer to everyone's need; considering there are so many options at different price points as well as brand based. So I'd suggest heading to the Bicycle thread on our forum for others to chip in; also you'll find a lot of queries like yours already addressed there.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th September 2020 at 19:09.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 22:57   #82
BHPian

Do we have a bicycle thread on this forum. I am unaware of that. Please share the link
SidharthaN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 20:15   #83
BHPian

Re: PCMC Tour

Quote:
Route: Dhanori - Kasarwadi - Pimpri - Chinchwad - Akurdi - Ravet - Aundh - Khadki - Dhanori (Link)

Distance: 58 kms

Difficulty: Easy

Feedback: A simple route to visit the various suburbs of PCMC.

Attachment 1261021

Attachment 1261022
Good going ... Great long trips !!

I ride few times every week ... But 30-60 kms every outing!!

See attached from one recent trip to this bridge!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-img20200821wa0007.jpg  

naren_gs1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:07   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Vasai Fort

Route: Ghatkopar - Aarey - Borivali - Naigaon - Vasai fort - Vasai - Dahisar - Malad (Link)

Difficulty: Hot dry days are here - it's the October heat in full swing across Mumbai. With rains playing hide and seek, I decided to head towards the sea side hoping for some luck from the seawinds - decided to head towards Vasai fort located just outside the Mumbai city limits.

Early morning my friend (again) ditched me stating unwellness so I had to do the ride all alone. The weather forecast had literally shown zero chances of any rain so I knew it was going to be a hot ride on the return journey. Passed through Aarey colony on the way to Goregaon and surprisingly the temperatures were in mid 20s - I wish it had stayed so all day.

Now Vasai fort (and the jetty) is right on the edge of Vasai creek, visible from Mira Bhayandar side. But the lack of a proper bridge to cross over the multiple backwater/creeks around Naigon (the area just opposite Mira Bhayandar on the other side of the creek) means you have to go aroundabout route through Vasai-Virar city.

Well not really. There's a short-cut route that cuts the distance by 10-12 kms if one is ready to carry the cycle over a walking bridge over the inner creek and Naigaon station. And that's what I did, reaching Vasai fort just an hour after sunrise.

Surprisingly, it turned out to be a popular spot for cyclists - I saw atleast 20+ cyclists and runners around the fort area; plus several groups armed with their cameras and striking poses.

The fort, although managed by the Archeological Survey of India, is in a kinda-broken-down state, open to the public. What's beautiful about the fort is how the flora has taken up all over the structure - with numerous trees growing in and around the walls of the fort.

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201011_073909.jpg
A clean and garbage-less fort

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201011_074145.jpg
A nice path that goes all around the fort structure

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201011_074410.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201011_074905.jpg
A cool pool right in the center

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201011_075221.jpg
Abundance of trees in and around the fort structure

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201011_075419.jpg
The broken gate that opens up right next to the seashore

After some 15-20 mins going around the fort, I finally decided to call it a day and head back due to two reasons - the sun was coming out again, and so were the junta armed with their cameras and selfie poses.

This time I decided to go the longer route via the highway and had to make quite a few stops to replenish my fluids with coconut and other options. Passed through Borivali around 10 and had reached Malad when I decided to call it a day and hail an auto, considering I had an appointment at 11+ which I didn't want to miss and the increasing heat (~34deg) wasn't going to let me off easily.

Still Vasai fort impressed me with it's grandeur - it's on my list for another return trip on a day when there's much less folks around and better weather too!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:23   #85
BHPian

Just got motivated by this thread and started cycling today. Covered a good 7kms on different types of road and inclines. The rear hurts a bit as coming from two wheelers, now you really get to feel the surface on the bum. But feels good. Will post a short update soon. Thanks guys
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 08:21   #86
BHPian

Guys one noob question, do u wear a mask while cycling? I am cycling 1-2 kms daily but with a mask on it is becoming very difficult to continue ? Also I am vary of some over enthusiastic go t. Workers levying fine for not wearing a mask while cycling. Today's TOI has an article which states that BMC workers will target joggers without masks.

Need a suggestion from fellow cyclists please.
Old 14th October 2020, 08:59   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Guys one noob question, do u wear a mask while cycling? I am cycling 1-2 kms daily but with a mask on it is becoming very difficult to continue ? Also I am vary of some over enthusiastic go t. Workers levying fine for not wearing a mask while cycling. Today's TOI has an article which states that BMC workers will target joggers without masks.

Need a suggestion from fellow cyclists please.
I always carry a mask - earlier when the weather was much cooler, I would have the mask tucked always under the chin; but now I just carry in the pocket. Any place where I stop (or take a break) or if there's a chance of close contact with other folks, I put on the mask properly.

I have done about ~1500 kms of riding in the lockdown period and this approach's worked fine - from safety and from a comfort/breathing aspect too.
Old 1st November 2020, 08:38   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Karnala Bird Sanctuary - a different route

Route: Ghatkopar - Vashi - Sanpada - JNPT - Chirner - Karnala - Vashi - Ghatkopar (Link)

Difficulty: This weekend was another attempt to head to Karanala bird santuary, but through a different route where we did a roundabout route going around the mountains instead of just a back and forth route as the last time.

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-karnala-route.jpg

We left way earlier (4 am) because of the higher temps faced after 9 am and tried a new option via Chirner village, a small hamlet south of the Karnala mountains. The initial part of the road (towards JNPT side) is filled with shipping & logistics warehouses on both sides - and hence some decent truck traffic.

But once we reach Chirner village, the surroundings changed to a beautiful hilly and rural setup but with nice tarred roads. There even was a reservoir (Ransai reservoir) that I had originally planned on making a halt; however as it was still dark when we reached the point, it hardly made sense to stop, and we continued ahead on some nice empty roads as the sun slowly started coming up over the next hour.

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201024_062452.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201024_062539.jpg

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-20201024_063528-1.jpg

There was hardly any other vehicle in the wee hours - although we saw a good number of runners/walkers on the route. Seems like the running bug has bit the rural setup quite a bit.

We soon hit the Bombay - Goa highway and turned around to head back to Bombay via Panvel. Thanks to our early start, by the time we entered the city, we still were able to avoid majority of the traffic and were back at home before 10 am.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:03   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Ride to Barvi dam

Route: Shahad (/Kalyan) - Murbad - Barvi Dam - Badlapur - Palava - Airoli - Ghatkopar (Link)

Feedback: So I attempted a ride again to Barvi dam on a route that I had done back in 2018 during the monsoon. And what a sudden change in flora it was - back then everything was green and wet in all directions; this time it was all dry and different shades of brown all around.

But the situation remains the same across every season - get out of the Greater Mumbai area and suddenly you get exposed to flora and fauna of a rural kind that you'd expect deep into the state, much less than 50 kms away from the city center.

Instead of spending an hour riding out of the city, I again decided to make use of the local trains (now as it is open to all public) and caught the first early morning local (~4.15 a.m. CST to Kasara) to Shahad station; from where I started my trip. The stations are surprisingly not empty - there's a small crowd already up and using even the first local!

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-pxl_20210205_231425318.jpg

From there it was a straight-ish ride on the Bhiwandi - Nagar state highway to Murbad town where I turn into the forest-ed area to reach the reservoir. While the temperature in the city was in early 20s, the temperature soon drops to ~10 - 12deg (something that my cyclocomputer picks up but I don't realize at that time)!
Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-pxl_20210206_021151937.jpg
Sunrise at the vast reservoir

The route adjoining the reservoir is a beautiful curvy route with some minor climbs but with a nice forest cover all around. The change in the surroundings is surreal.
Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-1.jpg
The forest around the reservoir during the monsoon

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-pxl_20210206_015605204.jpg
And the scene now

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-2.jpg
The dam during the monsoon

Trails of a cyclist : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!-pxl_20210206_023124363.jpg
And the scene now

The route till Badlapur is a mostly rolling setup on a 2 lane road with no dividers. I soon pass the town as well as Ambernath before heading back to the bustle of the city - as I near Dombivili, the traffic picks up in huge numbers (it's still a working Saturday for most of Mumbai).

It takes me another ~2 hours to reach home through some busy traffic. Thankfully while the sun is out, the weather is quite nice with cool breeze even till 11 am. Overall a good fun half-of-the-day-ride option to let off some steam, while leveraging the Mumbai locals as much as I can.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 8th February 2021 at 21:20.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 10:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ride to Barvi dam

Quote:
Route: Shahad (/Kalyan) - Murbad - Barvi Dam - Badlapur - Palava - Airoli - Ghatkopar (Link)
Good to see you making another trip to Barvi dam.

Quote:
And what a sudden change in flora it was - back then everything was green and wet in all directions; this time it was all dry and different shades of brown all around.
That's the beauty of nature. Different shades in different seasons and we need to enjoy each of those

Quote:
But the situation remains the same across every season - get out of the Greater Mumbai area and suddenly you get exposed to flora and fauna of a rural kind that you'd expect deep into the state, much less than 50 kms away from the city center.
Agreed, it's even lesser for me. Since I stay on the edge of Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation, for me the landscape changes within 8-10 kms. I just wonder why we so often miss these off beat tracks that are so very near from our regular commute roads.

Quote:
Instead of spending an hour riding out of the city, I again decided to make use of the local trains (now as it is open to all public) and caught the first early morning local (~4.15 a.m. CST to Kasara) to Shahad station; from where I started my trip.
That's a clever strategy I must say. I will give it a try when I decide to do a ride to Lonavala, INS Shivaji, Ambi valley.

Quote:
The route adjoining the reservoir is a beautiful curvy route with some minor climbs but with a nice forest cover all around. The change in the surroundings is surreal.
Venture on many more such rides and keep sharing with us
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks