Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 20:25   #1
BHPian

Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar

Odisha is currently hosting the 2018 Men's Hockey World Cup. Keeping this in mind, the state government has implemented several new initiatives towards improving the transportation in the capital city, Bhubaneswar. One such welcome initiative is the introduction of "Mo Cycle" ("Mo" means My in Odiya). This is a Public Bicycle Sharing project started by the Bhubaneswar Smart City Limited (BSCL) and the Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT). The scheme aims to reduce traffic congestion, promote non-motorized transport in the city as well as ensure better last mile connectivity.

Around 400 cycle stands have been set up across the city.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-stand1.jpg

Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-stand2.jpg

To make bicycle riding easier and safer, the Bhubaneswar Development Authority(BDA) has painted and marked separate lanes on the roads for cyclists.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-lane.jpg

Around 2000 bicycles have been ordered from 3 companies - Hexi, Yaana and Yulu. Hexi (from Hero Cycles) will provide 1000 bicycles and Yaana and Yulu will provide 500 each. The bicycles have low-frame structure with unisex design. They are also fitted with GPS tracking system and Bluetooth enabled smart locks.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-lock1.jpg

CRUT has launched an app called "Mo Cycle".
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-mocycleapp1.png

This app shows all the nearby cycle stands near the user's location.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-mocycleapp2.png

Selecting a particular stand will display the number of cycles from each company currently available.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-mocycleapp3.png

However, to book the cycles, user has to download separate apps from any or all 3 of the companies. To use these apps and book a bicycle, user has to register on the app. The service has to be subscribed by selecting an appropriate package and paying the subscription fee. As part of the launch, the city administration has made the first 30 mins of the ride free for the users.

I downloaded and registered on the Hexi app. Below screenshots for the same. Yaana and Yulu also have similar apps.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-hexi1.png

Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-hexi2.png

Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-hexi3.png

Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-hexi4.png

Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-hexi5.png

To use the bicycle, user has to scan the QR code on the lock with the app. The app authorizes and searches for the bicycle via Bluetooth from the user's phone and unlocks the bicycle lock. After the ride is complete, the user needs to dock the bicycle at the nearest bicycle stand, lock the bicycle manually and end the ride on the app.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-lock2.jpg

Your's truly on the Hexi bicycle.
Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar-me.jpg

I sincerely hope this scheme continues to grow with more bicycle stands penetrating residential areas. Also hope the authorities and the public care for this initiative and use and maintain the infrastructure responsibly. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 8th December 2018 at 20:32.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 10:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar

Great initiative there. I feel that cycling is one more of transport that is sorely under-utilised. Just as an example, a 10km journey in peak evening traffic takes more than 40 minutes in car. I can cycle the same distance is lesser time.

We recently had Pedl by Zoomcar and Yulu launched in Navi Mumbai, but there are no dedicated cycle lanes / roads in the city. I love the fact that the Hockey games are just an excuse to get the cycles on the road. Once people get used to it, I'm sure there will be good number of cyclists on the road even after the games are over.
blackwasp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 11:30   #3
BHPian

re: Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I love the fact that the Hockey games are just an excuse to get the cycles on the road. Once people get used to it, I'm sure there will be good number of cyclists on the road even after the games are over.
The biggest hindrance to the success of projects like these are the attitude of the administration and general public towards the upkeep and maintenance of the infrastructure. I read that the administration has plans to introduce more cycle stands in various other areas of the city to make cycling a viable transportation option for many people. But it remains to be seen how long the program continues to grow post the games or will it be just abandoned/slow down once the games are over. Similar responsibility lies with the general public as well to use and care for the cycles and not to misuse or abuse the infrastructure.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 10:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mo Cycle: Public Bike Sharing in Bhubaneswar

Very good initiative there. However, I am not sure it will succeed. I have seen bike stands in Pune that are looking like junkyards and taking up precious space.

When one looks at the traffic jams and lack of availability of parking in our cities, there is a strong case for shifting to bicycles from cars. Just yesterday afternoon it took me about 45 minutes to cover a distance of 100 m or so. However, there some reasons why bicycles will not succeed. One of them is the climate and the sheer amount of dust in our country. The next is the maintenance of the bicycles and the infrastructure. Another reason is the way we are. College and office goers are not likely to use such a mode of transport. Most would prefer share cabs, which drop them off at their doorsteps rather than waste time in dropping off a bicycle at a stand.

That leaves this share bicycle project for joyriders - who are very few in number.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 11:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
One of them is the climate and the sheer amount of dust in our country. The next is the maintenance of the bicycles and the infrastructure. Another reason is the way we are. College and office goers are not likely to use such a mode of transport. Most would prefer share cabs, which drop them off at their doorsteps rather than waste time in dropping off a bicycle at a stand.
+1. Given the hot and humid climate in Bhubaneswar (except for winters), cycling is not a pleasant experience. But I am happy to say that this city pretty much dust free.

Public transport is pretty good here, with cheap bus (MoBus) and shared autorickshaw options. Whatever is left is taken up by OLA and Uber (these cars remain idle waiting for a customer as there are less takers). After all these options, hardly anyone would opt for a cycle for any practical purpose.

I loved the transformation that Bhubaneswar is going through and I can safely say it is one of better cities across the country. But, a lot of money has been wasted in the process which could have been utilized in developing other parts of Odisha which are in dire need. The focus should have been on useful/practical upgrades to this city and use the remaining funds elsewhere for similar upgrades.

Quote:
That leaves this share bicycle project for joyriders - who are very few in number.
In my last 2 weeks in this city, I have seen only joyriders who are piqued by this new toy in the city. Just last night, I was returning home and I witnessed a family using the cycle. They had come in a car and parked it in a fancy well lit area. The children took out a couple of cycles and were riding it on the footpath while their parents were happy clicking pictures.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th December 2018 at 11:22.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 17:25   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
The biggest hindrance to the success of projects like these are the attitude of the administration and general public towards the upkeep and maintenance of the infrastructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Given the hot and humid climate in Bhubaneswar (except for winters), cycling is not a pleasant experience. But I am happy to say that this city pretty much dust free.

In my last 2 weeks in this city, I have seen only joyriders who are piqued by this new toy in the city. Just last night, I was returning home and I witnessed a family using the cycle. They had come in a car and parked it in a fancy well lit area. The children took out a couple of cycles and were riding it on the footpath while their parents were happy clicking pictures.

I can't agree more. In-fact the development happened in last 6 months is eye-catching. The situation was completely different when I was last in March this year.

But, the cycle initiative is mostly concentrated in the central business district of the town. There are hardly any cycle / stand in areas outside CBD. Even busy city areas like OUAT or BJB college areas don't have any cycle option. Somehow it feels, cycle thing is more intended towards tourists from abroad than the local population. Again, we are not educated enough to respect road based on color markings. In India people consider partying on railway track as their birth right. I am not sure, how many autos / bikers will give place to the poor cyclist on that Red track, at-least some kind of barricading would have helped. I hope the situation will improve with arrival of more cycles. And I seriously hope to have A/C bus services soon.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 12th December 2018 at 17:27.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 19:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
One of them is the climate and the sheer amount of dust in our country. The next is the maintenance of the bicycles and the infrastructure.
My thoughts exactly! Summer temperatures in Bhubaneswar easily reaches 45+ on most days. Coupled with the fact that winter months are reducing year after year, now its just December and January that feels pleasantly cold. So cycling in summers and monsoons wouldn't be feasible. Another fact is that Bhubaneswar is a somewhat hilly area with hardly any flat roads, so cycling downhill is fun but takes a toll uphill!

As far as maintenance is concerned, I am ashamed to read this news. Just as I had feared

Quote:
Around a dozen bikes of the Mo Cycle scheme has gone missing within barely 10 days of chief minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurating the project with great fanfare.

Though officials of the Capital Region Urban Transport (Crut), which is coordinating the service, remained tight-lipped about the incident, employees of private parties providing cycles for the scheme apprehended the missing vehicles to have been stolen.
https://www.telegraphindia.com/state...ar/cid/1677990

Some good news too, though I am sceptical if this is just because of the introductory phase.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the expansion of Mo Cycle system into new localities within the city is on the roll. Last week, Mo Cycle stations were operationalized at IDBI square, Saheed Nagar, and at multiple locations in Janpath, bringing the grand total of the stations to 147 with about 500 bicycles.

The flexible and stress-free cycle system currently has a total of about 16,000 monthly and half-yearly registered members, which shows a growth of 500 per cent, when compared to the corresponding figure on the date of the launch. The total rides amount up to 30,000 since the day of launch.
https://www.dailypioneer.com/2018/st...-in-india.html
Old 13th December 2018, 11:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
We recently had Pedl by Zoomcar and Yulu launched in Navi Mumbai, but there are no dedicated cycle lanes / roads in the city.
From the pictures posted by the OP, they seem to have dedicated cycle lanes in Bhubaneswar. I hope it covers most of the city and makes cycling easier.

Quote:
I read that the administration has plans to introduce more cycle stands in various other areas of the city to make cycling a viable transportation option for many people.
Quote:
Very good initiative there. However, I am not sure it will succeed. I have seen bike stands in Pune that are looking like junkyards and taking up precious space.
From my personal experience, Bangalore has adopted these kind of services really well. The lack of last mile connectivity and a generally pleasant climate (barring the dusty roads) have made these options very attractive. If this takes off(like it has in China), I'm not sure if we have enough infrastructure to handle this. Recently came across a news where these rental bikes have become a social menace, you can read more about it here. And in Bangalore, i can find these cycles lying around in almost every street in my area, not long before it becomes a menace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
+1. Given the hot and humid climate in Bhubaneswar (except for winters), cycling is not a pleasant experience. But I am happy to say that this city pretty much dust free.
Quote:
My thoughts exactly! Summer temperatures in Bhubaneswar easily reaches 45+ on most days.
While I am not aware entirely about the public transport infrastructure in Bhubaneswar, if there is a lack of last mile connectivity, i believe these services theoretically can fill up that void.

P.S:Last time i was in Bhubaneswar was in 2016, and i must say it was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Mukund : 13th December 2018 at 11:17. Reason: Fixing last line for better readability
Mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
If this takes off(like it has in China), I'm not sure if we have enough infrastructure to handle this. Recently came across a news where these rental bikes have become a social menace, you can read more about it here. And in Bangalore, i can find these cycles lying around in almost every street in my area, not long before it becomes a menace.
Whoa! Those photos from China! I had seen a YouTube video on the same. Hundreds of cycles lying on the sidewalk. This is where the discipline of the citizens comes into play, to use the infrastructure responsibly. Else the cycles will end up as public art few years down the line!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 10:51   #10
BHPian

Great initiative! Wish this happens in my city as well. Commuting in public transport is a pain for me. For the past one and a half year, I've been using public transport for my daily commutes and now, my dad drops me off and picks me up since he's shifted close to my college.

But commuting in car also has been equally painful. Thanks to the lack of civic sense among fellow citizens. We take about 30-40 mins for covering a distance of 7-kms.

I was in talks with my dad if we should ride down on our bicycles daily. But, this also has its own share of problems in my city. One is that, riding a bicycle in traffic can be a pain. People behind you have no sense and honk like idiots (sorry but can't help it) while we literally ride off the road giving way to these guys. While I'm a cyclist at heart and do long runs every weekend and can do my daily commute with ease, these factors can get annoying. I seriously wish if we had dedicated lanes for bicycles. On top of it, my college folks have been very unsupportive with this as they can't afford to park my bicycle away in the corner inside the campus!
Old 14th December 2018, 12:16   #11
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Ofo launched the largest pilot project of bicycle sharing services with permission from the State Government and Coimbatore Smart City Limited in Coimbatore around 10 months back.

They deployed 2000 bikes in R S Puram area (one of the posh locality).

Unfortunately, it was withdrawn after six months. Vandalism and Hoarding were the challenges faced by the company. People started taking it to places outside the service area and neither closed the trips nor returned the bicycles.

Hope this doesn't happen in Odisha and the government should create an awareness of this great initiative.

Climate plays a major role in the success of these kind of projects.

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Added a sentence; fixed typo
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 14:03   #12
BHPian

A similar attempt was made in Rajarhat (Kolkata). It has been discontinued because people were parking the cycles everywhere within the city and at the end of the ride leaving the cycle anywhere as they wish (not in the stand actually). This created a massive traffic problem and thus discontinued.
Old 15th December 2018, 19:55   #13
BHPian

I've used Yulu in the Bellandur area for short errands. Loved the convenience of the service.

Side note, has anyone tried Bounce Scooter Sharing? I would love to understand how it works. I get the basic concept, but specific questions such as what happens in case a scooter runs out of fuel/meets with an accident/is involved in a traffic violation, etc. is still a bit of a grey area to me.

Old 15th December 2018, 23:07   #14
BHPian

Really a nice initiative by the Government of Odisha. It would have been better to have only one universal app for all three types of cycles.

It's needless to say that it's a welcome move towards convenience of people. But, it's people's and Govt.'s responsibility to make it really sustainable. Today, I saw a cycle at a dock station without a seat. Probably the seat is the only thing in the cycle that can be stolen without getting tracked. Only cheap and mischievous people can do this. We have to behave responsibly and take care of the public amenities.

Happy pedalling.
byomjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 11:29   #15
BHPian

What we need is electric kick scooter sharing service. 2018 has seen these mushroom in the West. It'll be much more effective and appreciated in a place like Bangalore. I think the theft and vandalism issue is what is getting in the way of these relatively bold companies.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...skip-spin-2018

What's surprising me even more is that we don't even have good options for outright purchase in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks