Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 13:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cycling to Sach Pass & Cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post

The town folks were not getting convinced that we were Indians pedalling, as hardly anybody approaches Sach and Cliffhanger on cycles and that too their compatriots.
Just awesome guys, hats off!
i especially liked your casual dressing throughout the ride

this exact route was part of our drive in July but from opposite side and i can really concur how difficult it is for 4 wheelers and in few places we engaged 4WD Low. and if i compare that with your cycle, hats off

Cycling to Sach Pass & Cliffhanger-38204107_10156576149307453_3072627635147243520_o.jpg

Cycling to Sach Pass & Cliffhanger-37909109_10156557194767453_2504332822559326208_o.jpg
Shubhendra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 13:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Just awesome guys, hats off!
i especially liked your casual dressing throughout the ride

this exact route was part of our drive in July but from opposite side and i can really concur how difficult it is for 4 wheelers and in few places we engaged 4WD Low. and if i compare that with your cycle, hats off
Thanks Shubhendra

Much appreciate it and very nice photos. The terrain is sure tough. Keep touring and keep posting.

We rode in Aug-Sep 2018.

We try to focus on enjoying our ride. We are simple village folks we wear what is comfortable to us but the helmet is compulsory on all our rides. We stay like 500 kms away from Pune and procuring bikes and cycling gear is a challenging job. Though some online cycling websites are of help.

Warm regards,
Himanshu

Last edited by 2himanshu : 31st May 2019 at 14:01. Reason: added timeline
2himanshu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:58   #18
BHPian

Wow!! You sir's are an inspiration! As a budding cyclist myself this route is definitely now on my bucket list. How did the bikes hold up on the trip? Also is it safe to do this route with family?

Keep riding and more importantly keep posting! ��
-Kiran
Caadmara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 15:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Wow!! You sir's are an inspiration! As a budding cyclist myself this route is definitely now on my bucket list. How did the bikes hold up on the trip? Also is it safe to do this route with family?

Keep riding and more importantly keep posting! ��
-Kiran
Hi Kiran, thanks for reading

The route is surely tough as it is unsurfaced, gravel and rocky. The traction on cycles is a challenge. The climbs are nasty and slow but it's the descents that are dangerous with very low levels of grip. Not to forget the game changes totally when it rains or snows.

The cycles held up nicely. You have to service the cycles and use new tyre-tubes to reduce the risk of punctures and for proper grip besides changing the cables too and keep checking the quick release axles from time to time while riding as the vibrations may take toll.

You can surely do the circuit with your family, the locals are nice and friendly. Besides it is very beautiful area.

Regards
Himanshu
2himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 05:55   #20
BHPian

Himanshu, Fabulous travelogue, thank you very much for sharing. These kind of logs are very special because it takes so much to write something like this, be it the strenuous effort to climb in thin air or the perseverance of long journeys or the camaraderie of the group or the prowess of photography and videography or the effort to post process and write them so beautifully.... very very commendable

Biking is probably the best way to fully absorb and enjoy every bit of the landscapes, mix with locals, contemplate and get refreshed. Thoroughly enjoyed the travelogue. The cliffhanger is simply terrifying. Thanks again for sharing. Wish you many more adventures.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 1st June 2019 at 05:56.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 09:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Himanshu, Fabulous travelogue, thank you very much for sharing. These kind of logs are very special because it takes so much to write something like this, be it the strenuous effort to climb in thin air or the perseverance of long journeys or the camaraderie of the group or the prowess of photography and videography or the effort to post process and write them so beautifully.... very very commendable

Biking is probably the best way to fully absorb and enjoy every bit of the landscapes, mix with locals, contemplate and get refreshed. Thoroughly enjoyed the travelogue. The cliffhanger is simply terrifying. Thanks again for sharing. Wish you many more adventures.
Thanks pal, exactly what I think.

Hoped you watched the videos too. Biking is surely the best way to travel when you are exploring nature.

We also bike in and around Melghat many times and the experience is fabulous on the jungle roads totally away from bustling city streets.

with warm regards
Himanshu
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
This is the travelogue cum photologue cum videologue of our cycling ride to Sach pass & cliffhanger route.
Wow man, hats off! Every cyclist dreams of something like this. I liked your approach of combining a road trip with a cycle trip. Lovely pictures and I'm sure the local scenery would have kept you motivated to cycle to your destination despite the steep slopes and road conditions.

Keep it up!
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Wow man, hats off! Every cyclist dreams of something like this. I liked your approach of combining a road trip with a cycle trip. Lovely pictures and I'm sure the local scenery would have kept you motivated to cycle to your destination despite the steep slopes and road conditions.

Keep it up!
Thanks pal, much appreciate it!

Yes the local scenery is very much important in our rides exactly as you say. We like to drive and that is no problem for us, besides it is cumbersome to transport bikes using public transport.

Every long distance bike trip of our group is a road trip too be it Ladakh, Pachmarhi or Chikhaldara/Melghat.

Also rented bikes are not available everywhere and there are no problems like returning a rented bike or riding an unknown one. That also gives us freedom to make, plan and ride our own course.

Warm Regards,
Himanshu
Old 4th June 2019, 15:50   #24
BHPian

Himanshu that was one gripping travelogue and hats off to you your entire team for such an adventurous and risky journey where there was no history of bikers having travelled and written. Thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions, the photographs and you seem to know about birds and butterflies alike. I used to be a cyclist and was a weekend rider and occasional commuter to office and bird watching too a little. I have a Trek 3700.

Keep riding and sharing to spread the cheer.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue!

Driving, cycling and Himalayas - 3 of my favorite things, I can imagine the fun you guys must have had. You are blessed to have like minded friends who are game for such things.
Cycling in the Himalayas must be fun (except frequent punctures of course ) but Cycles add to the logistics challenge, I would be even happy to drive to such places and run some marathon there. Are you guys into running too?

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 22:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Himanshu that was one gripping travelogue and hats off to you your entire team for such an adventurous and risky journey where there was no history of bikers having travelled and written. Thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions, the photographs and you seem to know about birds and butterflies alike. I used to be a cyclist and was a weekend rider and occasional commuter to office and bird watching too a little. I have a Trek 3700.

Keep riding and sharing to spread the cheer.
Thanks pal, your words are very encouraging we are very happy that you liked it.

You have a great bike, do try to ride more. Nice to know that you are interested in birds too. I am very much interested in nature and have also made an android app “Indian Birds” with 300 photos of some 200 species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wonderful travelogue!

Driving, cycling and Himalayas - 3 of my favorite things, I can imagine the fun you guys must have had. You are blessed to have like minded friends who are game for such things.
Cycling in the Himalayas must be fun (except frequent punctures of course ) but Cycles add to the logistics challenge, I would be even happy to drive to such places and run some marathon there. Are you guys into running too?

Cheers!
Hi Anand,

Thanks for taking time to read. It seems both of us share the same interests. It sure was a fun trip and even we were surprised that there wasn't a single puncture this time round (we were using new sets of tyres and tubes) though the road conditions were far from good and we too were happy and surprised.

And some of us do some trekking or hiking but not much running. And sure god bless our friends.

Regards
Himanshu
Old 4th June 2019, 23:39   #27
BHPian

Awesome travelodge! This would have been challenging in a car or even a motorcycle! But unimaginable on cycles, hats off to your courage and stamina. Sharing this with my friends, hoping to trigger a motorcycle trip. Amazingly detailed, you are a great group. Thanks for sharing.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 07:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Awesome travelodge! This would have been challenging in a car or even a motorcycle! But unimaginable on cycles, hats off to your courage and stamina. Sharing this with my friends, hoping to trigger a motorcycle trip. Amazingly detailed, you are a great group. Thanks for sharing.
Very happy you liked it!

Yes it's very hard in a four wheeler due to the bone-jarring ride and as the altitude increases, the low oxygen levels mar the engine power. One has to finely balance the power band and rocky terrain while driving. Same goes for two wheelers. If you stop at some climb, then it's a struggle to get going again.

I am honoured for your sharing and wishing you guys good luck and will be waiting to hear from you, cheers! I too have shared your comment on our cyclists' group

And thank you very much

Himanshu

Last edited by 2himanshu : 5th June 2019 at 07:52. Reason: Edited a sentence
2himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 10:15   #29
BHPian

Excellent cycling travelogue Himanshu! Thanks for sharing!

So how do you co-ordinate with your support vehicle? Does the suv travel short distance and wait for you guys to catch up? And during the ride, did The 5th person switch place for some ride or in this trip he purely did driving duties?
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 13:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Excellent cycling travelogue Himanshu! Thanks for sharing!

So how do you co-ordinate with your support vehicle? Does the suv travel short distance and wait for you guys to catch up? And during the ride, did The 5th person switch place for some ride or in this trip he purely did driving duties?
Thanks for taking time to read it

The 5th person Bunty, is captain slow and very patient. He accompanies us on most of our riding tours. He didn’t ride and only got photographed with the bikes.

He generally stayed behind us like 15-30 minutes depending on terrain and conditions, then catch us and then again wait. If he got ahead, shot photos and videos of us riding.

Regards,
Himanshu

Last edited by 2himanshu : 5th June 2019 at 13:35. Reason: Added details
2himanshu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks