Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 12:55   #16
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: On bicycle vandalism & theft

Thanks for sharing these pictures. These pictures invoke the same feelings as pictures of abandoned aging classics we see from time to time.

I forwarded the link to this thread to my wife who refuses to understand what securing the bicycle correctly means.

On hindsight, I should have let her go through this thread before making this post.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 13:08   #17
BHPian

Think positive. Good part is that the Locks are if good quality though the Cycle may not hold good.
Look in the pictures where the owner has passed the securing cord through the front wheel, rear wheel and the frame. Something to learn.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th May 2020 at 13:26. Reason: typo
Old 20th May 2020, 14:54   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Bicycle theft is a fact of life in the Netherlands.
Most folks would insure their bicycle for theft.
Why not use good quality locks like Kryptonite? Are they easily pickable?
Old 20th May 2020, 15:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
What I have shown is that even a good quality lock cannot protect the entire cycle

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 20th May 2020 at 15:21.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 15:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
All locks are pickable and Kryptonite locks used to be the worst! They are better now, but on the older locks you could pick them with the cap of ballpoint!

It is not just that locks are pickable. there are professional gangs of bicycle thieves out there. They drive around with a van, with cutting tools. They will cut through any lock in mere seconds.

Also, you could have 3 or 4 of the best locks in place, but if it is not secured to anything they will just throw your bicycle with all locks in place in the back of the van and worry about the locks later at their leisure.

There is also the matter of cost. A really good lock cost more than what most people would spend on their second hand runabout city bicycle. To some extend people are taking a known risk. In particular students are known for not bothering too much. If their old banged up bicycle isn’t where they left it, they will just take somebody else bicycle instead.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 17:28   #21
BHPian

My colleague who graduated from KU Leuven (Belgium) once told that every student at one point might have stolen a cycle. They keep losing the bike and especially if its not tied to a pole, there is high chance it will found below the river with increasing probability towards weekend (Leuven is hometown of Stella Artois ). Once in a while, Leuven city clears the bicycles under the water.
The Leuven city police does not even take a complaint for stolen cycle.
Old 20th May 2020, 18:26   #22
BANNED

My Hercules popular(double bar and 27ply tires) was stolen when it was parked inside a five foot compound wall. I bought another one and I used to lug it to the first floor every single time. When I shifted again, I left it at my native and, after a few months, bought a Dahon SUV D6. It has been a very peaceful cycling experience since then.
Attached Thumbnails
On bicycle vandalism & theft-img_20190806_120507_6_1.jpg  

On bicycle vandalism & theft-20200229_144055924.jpg  

On bicycle vandalism & theft-img_20190329_100509.jpg  

COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 18:37   #23
BHPian

My friend resides quite close to Tihar Jail that houses not just the convicts, but staff & families too. His daughter's cycle was stolen from outside his house. Kids were fond of this girl and the word of her cycle getting stolen was spread. And lo !!! Within two days it was recovered / returned from Jail Housing complex (kids handiwork). True !!! Jail may or may not reform criminals, it definitely is a good nursery to breed criminals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks