Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Covid-19: Cycles & E-Bikes are strongly picking up sales in USA, Europe & Asia. What about India?

Quote:
Bikes are increasingly muscling aside cars on Europe’s city streets, as the coronavirus accelerates a shift toward pedal power.

Even before the pandemic, bicycles were enjoying an uptick in demand from environmentally conscious consumers, but the risk of contagion on buses and subways have increased the appeal. The emergence of e-bikes, which boost power with an electric motor, has removed some of the sweat factor, making biking a viable option for more consumers after lockdowns lifted.

Governments are fueling the trend, offering buying incentives ranging from 100 euros ($113) to as much as 1,500 euros for heavy business users of e-bikes. Cities from Berlin to Lisbon are also opening up more space, with almost 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) of new lanes promised as a result of the public-health crisis, according to the European Cyclists’ Federation.
Source

Covid-19: Cycles & E-Bikes are strongly picking up sales in USA, Europe & Asia. What about India?-www.teambhp.com55.jpeg

Meanwhile in USA, Rad Power bikes has witnessed a surge of order for their bikes e-post the pandemic. Bikes are flying off the shelves and they are having a tough time to replenish stocks. They expect 500,000 - 600,000 units to be sold this year.
Quote:
In March, as U.S. states began issuing stay-at-home orders, Mike Radenbaugh, co-founder and chief executive officer of Rad Power Bikes LLC, made a plan for lean times. The temporary shutdown of the U.S. economy, he figured, would be bad for his business, a Seattle-based startup that sells electric bicycles online. “We really started to batten down the hatches,” he says. “It was a lot around cash planning and preserving the business in case of it cratering.”

But by mid-April, Radenbaugh realized he’d miscalculated. Not only was Rad not hurting, it couldn’t replenish bike stocks fast enough. Sales tripled that month over the same period in 2019, he says. They haven’t cooled since. By mid-May, Rad had sold through its inventory. It’s restocked since then, but many models are still on back order.
Source
Covid-19: Cycles & E-Bikes are strongly picking up sales in USA, Europe & Asia. What about India?-1600x1.jpg

A husband-wife duo in China is making merry thanks to a graphene based battery technology that allows faster charging compared to regular batteries. Company stock price has increased 4 times since March this year. The company makes 162 models of electric scooters and bikes. While their primary market is China, they export to over 80 countries including the USA and Germany.
Quote:
Vin Diesel made a fortune playing the American muscle-car driving anti-hero in the “Fast & Furious” films. These days, he’s helping a husband-and-wife team from China get even richer selling electric scooters.

The actor appears as a crooning spy in ads for Yadea Group Holdings Ltd., a maker of internet-connected two-wheelers that have gained a following in China, and last year opened subsidiaries in Vietnam and Germany. Demand has soared in recent months as the Covid-19 pandemic forced people to rethink their commutes.
Closer home, cycle sales are on the rise in major cities like Bangalore.
Quote:
It is said that enquires for cycles have gone up by 60% compared to pre-lockdown days. 50% of the enquiries are reported to have been converted to sales.

A cycle store typically stocks cycles ranging from Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 80,000. However, replenishing stocks sold could be an issue as there have been no shipment of cycles for the past 3 months.
Infact, friends are reporting low stock even in larger chain stores like Decathlon. Forget no stock in stores, even deliveries are not possible due to low stock. A closure of gyms has also ensured that people are adopting cycles more than before.

Here's a news clipping on our local cycling shop. Basically it talks about high demand and shortage of cycles.
Covid-19: Cycles & E-Bikes are strongly picking up sales in USA, Europe & Asia. What about India?-whatsapp-image-20201012-9.45.21-am.jpeg
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Covid-19: Cycles & E-Bikes are strongly picking up sales in USA, Europe & Asia. What about India

Not only cycles, even accessories are in high demand and dwindling or no supplies. Shops I spoke to have given advance payments to distributors months ago with no clear visibility on stocks delivery.

Good cycle repair / servicing shops are chocked up on work - currently with waiting time that run up to a week and servicing timelines of 2 to 5 days across different shops in Bombay.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:31   #3
BHPian

Re: Covid-19: Cycles & E-Bikes are strongly picking up sales in USA, Europe & Asia. What about India

Not sure if there is a spike in demand but there is a definite shortage in supply.
My friend booked a Firefox Roadrunner in Hyderabad few days back and it might get delivered in couple of months time. You read it right, we are talking about bicycles!
papr23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Btwin single speed basic bicycle 3 months back and that is the only mode of transport for me. It was bit hard to get due to non-availability. I used to check Decathlon website on a daily basis and took almost 1 week to see it back in stock.

Last edited by Latheesh : 3rd November 2020 at 13:11.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:33   #5
BHPian

I had been desperately trying to get the Triban at Decathlon for past 6 months but still is out of stock. Mind you, this was not a very cheap cycle - approximately Rs.22,000 but still out of stock.

Secondly, I am trying to get an Electric Cycle from Hero Lectro - Specifically the top range C8 but that too is out of stock both online and in store. One reason for this was also that supply of electric components is from China and there is a big backlog there.
neerajdan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:40   #6
BHPian

Well, there is a shortage of supply in India too. All well known brands/good models are not available like they were before the lockdown. The moment such models come in stores, it gets picked up by someone. There is certainly a rise in people buying bicycles.

But most of the people in India are buying for fitness purposes whereas in Europe/USA, most of them use it as a mode of transport.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 07:50   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread moved to the 2-wheeler section because e-bikes have a motor
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Thread moved to the 2-wheeler section because e-bikes have a motor
Completely agree.

An e-bike is not a bicycle.

It's an electric Luna.

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th November 2020, 11:52   #9
BHPian

Hero cycles, Lectro range of e-bikes have found some customers. After the fitness goals are reached the electric motor brings the tired rider home!

There are some third-party vendors converting regular cycles as assisted e-bikes and selling 'kits' which includes installation costs.

Pure cycles are out of stock every where, even news channels covered it.
Related Article

Someone posted a deserted cycle bay of Decathlon store on the Bicycles thread!

So the business cycle is going good
Old 4th November 2020, 13:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Europe and the USA have a good infrastructure for cycling or e-cycles. In those countries, this mode of transport will be sustainable in the long run. It will lead to cleaner and greener countries.

India, however, is a different matter altogether. Our roads are poor and most of our country has hot and humid climate. Getting anywhere means being drenched in sweat. I have 2 bicycles - one used for training and racing and the other for running errands. However, I never use one for commuting. Don't want to reach anywhere drenched in sweat and covered in dust.

E-cycles are a good option. But, will they get people out of their cars and into the saddle? I don't think so. We are too used to the air-conditioned cabin of our cars.

There are almost no bikes remaining in stores. New stock is expected only by mid-2021.

These days, I see many bicycles from various brands on our roads. The number of cyclists has gone up by many times. However, I think this is just a temporary fad. Come March 2021, we will be able to pick up some really nice "showroom condition" used bicycles. I might even start a project build.

Coming to E-cycles, once the electric components and batteries wear out, most people who don't believe in maintenance, will just keep them somewhere in the building compound and finally the scrap dealer will take them away. I've seen this happen to many Yobykes. Anyone remembers those?
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:55   #11
BANNED

Given how little respect motorcyclists are given on our roads, I'd shudder to even go out on a bicycle.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:07   #12
BHPian

The lack of supply could be due to restrictions on imports from China. Even the decathlon bicycles have a lot of critical components like the disk brake, cables and gears made in China.
Also, cycling is good inside campus or colony roads. It won't be practical outside. Winters may still be okay, but summer will be a spoilsport.
In most cities dedicated cycling tracks have become unofficial parking lots and slums already. This is the sad reality, as much as I like to use my bicycle.
Old 4th November 2020, 14:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

However, I think this is just a temporary fad. , most people who don't believe in maintenance, will just keep them somewhere in the building compound and finally the scrap dealer will take them away. I've seen this happen to many Yobykes. Anyone remembers those?
100% agree with you.With gyms closed people have bought cycles in droves.
But how many will use them once normalcy returns is questionable.
Some will actually enjoy cycling as a sport, but most will give up on it.

It sounds great to see cycling as a commuter tool, but on one wants to risk his life/limb riding one in commuter traffic soaking in dust/and inhaling fumes.In Mumbai atleast this is out of question, in Pune if you ride early this is still a good possibility ( Have done this for a week ).

The approach towards cycling need not be only for Commuting/fitness, it can be used as a recreational tool to get along with friends on short rides on weekends.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
However, I think this is just a temporary fad. Come March 2021, we will be able to pick up some really nice "showroom condition" used bicycles.
Only partially correct. This has always been a fad over this decade. I was able to do the above used option back in 2013 and again earlier this year. There was another bhpian who picked up a nice Triban used option in Chandigarh a few months ago.

I think we'll probably see a lot of Decathlon cycles up for sale in a year, most probably the 5k - 20k range cycles - think Rockrider, Triban, and so on.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Unless you can have a quick shower and get into a fresh set of work clothes, there is no way I would commute on a cycle. Not just in India, but anywhere. Just the thought of sitting through the day like that puts me in tremendous mental discomfort. Forget the real life damp and malodorous reality. For self and others who are unfortunate enough to be in your vicinity in a AC office.

Then there is the logistics of the wet gear to be stowed through the day, how it pickles the surrounding atmosphere, and the feeling of getting back into still damp tights after the day is done.

No thanks man. Once I'm freshly shaved and bathed, I prefer that feeling for the rest of the work day.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks