Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Doc,
Firstly - heartfelt thanks to you for taking the time and effort to pen down your inputs in such a detailed manner. I do profess that at this point in time I may not fully understand all that you have listed , to a T, but I will try..

I have quoted only the key takeaways from your post for my easy reference.

>>>To put that in perspective, I plan to upgrade my ENTIRE ACT drivetrain after the rains in 3k. An Altus triple crank for 1.8k. Shimano 7 speed freewheel for 750 and KMC chain with quick link for 450. That is less than the cost of a 11 speed Shimano 105 cassette.
Any reason why this would not work for me?

But the last cog instead of a standardly spaced jump to 28t is a huge 10t jump from 24t straight to 34t.
Does this mandate a new chain or any other component of the rear derailleur? Can the existing chain support the jump?

I got the bike serviced for 1.4k (it was supposed to be dismantled, cleanup, rebuild and wash) last week. I did not know bike service was so expensive. But yes, the bike was smoother and I got the brakes aligned as well as raised the handle bar to a 45deg angle for a less aggressive position.

I am sure if I had done the 40k stretch post-service, I would have been a tad bit faster.

The chap who does 30kmph was at a similar pace as me a few months back when we used to cruise on out MTBs. So I will not loose hope.

Signing off with a pic of the ACT

Thank again!

Attachment 2498602
Except for the crank which is a series higher (modern Altus instead of the old Tourney), everything else I'm changing is just a replacement of worn out parts. So no, its not going to make a change to your current setup in terms of top end performance per se. Bottom end, as I've explained at length for the MegaRange freewheel, yes. Definitely.

No change to rear derailleur (its a long cage) or chain needed. As an example, I simply took off the 14-28, and replaced it with the 14-34. And the gears were indexed. That was the sum total of what was needed. Its not the chain that supports the jump but the rear derailleur cage and the chain climbs on to that granny 34 from the second last 24 just beautiful effortlessly. And falls back equally nicely.

1.4k to service a 5k bike?! Ok ...

All the best. If you can make up 7 kmph on a hybrid, then you're a better rider than most. The rest of us struggle for every km per hour jump in average speed over a reasonable 50+ km distance, once we hit a respectable threshold like 24-25 kmph. Which is the ACT's sweet spot for me.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd September 2023 at 22:29.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 17:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-img_20230903_0857402.jpg

Ride to Bavdhan, followed by a 10k run today.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 18:30   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Attachment 2498878

Ride to Bavdhan, followed by a 10k run today.
Good Gracious, Doc! It's almost too admirable to want to try and follow / catch up with! Especially within the 50+ crowd. Kudos to you.

With no lack of bicycles around to ride, I nonetheless perpetually struggle to find the time for even an hour or less workout...

I think I need either a career change or a rich uncle to pour out an unexpected inheritance!!!

Maybe this winter...

(the regular exercise, not the anticipated demise of any uncle!)

At the moment, nursing that bad cold that's been going 'round, packing up, and looking towards many days seated behind the wheel. Hoping for some stairs at ancient mid-India forts!!!

All the best,
Eric.

Last edited by ringoism : 16th December 2023 at 18:32.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 19:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a freewheel, in 7 speed, 14t is the smallest cog you can get.
Actually Doc, for those not entirely road-oriented or who might otherwise desire wider-ratio gearing with higher and lower max ratios, there is at least one other quality option for anyone fortunate enough to find one in older stock:

Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-img20231216184114.jpg

This is Sunrace (very old and decent-quality Taiwan not China!) branded and seems well-built, a Sturney-Archer tie-up. Anyone interested can try contacting the Mumbai-based importer, info visible there on label. A seven speed 13-34 with a less radical gap between 6th and 7th, but wider gaps than Shimano's on the rest.

Found these in a shop in Aizawl and bought the two he had, since in the hills they work well. Import date was 12/2020, so there are bound to still be some around somewhere, and with MRP of sub-₹800, I'd call them a steal. I put one one my Trans-Pacific (Kross) 700C hybrid/trekker and find it quite good for my terrain. For stronger riders / speed trials types or on generally flatter land this may prove less useful, but even then the 13 cog might present a worthwhile compromise.

I have also seen 8-speed wide ratio 13-34 freewheel type of unknown/Chinese origin on Amazon (.in) at around the same price,

Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-screenshot_2023121619213663_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
have to be careful ordering since many do not understand difference between freewheel and cassette and use these terms interchangably. But they do exist, I seem to remember having ordered one. Anyway they may be worth a try, in my experience outside the big brands function is more or less ok but lifespan is less.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 16th December 2023 at 19:23.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 21:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Actually Doc, for those not entirely road-oriented or who might otherwise desire wider-ratio gearing with higher and lower max ratios, there is at least one other quality option for anyone fortunate enough to find one in older stock:

-Eric
Hey Eric, long time buddy.

I would love to have one of these if you could spare one!

Alternatively, please share the Mumbai name and number. Its unclear in your photo.

The 13 would do very very nicely, as would the more even spaced gears. With the 34 granny gear left intact.

I just by chance happened to chance on this post of tours as I came to the thread with a little upgrade (replacement actually, but who's quibbling) for my ACT ...

Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-img_20240123_000237.jpg

Finally retired my trusty anatomic hand grips. The left one was sticky and melting into my palms. And both had holed through with wear.

Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-img_20240123_000338.jpg

Tadaaaaaa! Brand new foam grip puppies for my babe.

Cheers, Doc
Old 25th January 2024, 22:34   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alternatively, please share the Mumbai name and number. Its unclear in your photo.
Doc,
Believe the details are as below
9619679199 | ensignsports@gmail.com | Ensign Sports Bandra West

They seem to have a website too - https://ensignsports.com/
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 23:00   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Doc,
Believe the details are as below
9619679199 | ensignsports@gmail.com | Ensign Sports Bandra West

They seem to have a website too - https://ensignsports.com/
Thanks a TON! Will call them and enquire on Saturday itself.

I can't believe how many of my dream wishlists for my ACT this one 700 buck piece of kit would solve on the dirt cheap.

More top speed. Less spinout on descents (albeit not by much, but still). Most important, a usable range all the way through for the mountains ... instead if the big sudden 10t jump from 24 to 34 in each of the 3 rings, making it effectively a 6 speed and not a 7 speed bike for normal riding.

Now, couple this with a small MTB sized triple crank in the front, and a Manali Leh ride becomes so much more comfortable on my humble 7 speed ACT. And that would be just under 2k itself.

I already have a brand new Altus 48-38-28 in spare, and a Shimano MegaRange 14-34 freewheel in spare. I just need to then see if the rear derailleur cage can adjust and accomodate for the same chain length for both these cranks (48-38-28 and 42-32-22) or do I need a separate chain for each. And voila, I now have a simple swappable road and mountain drivetrain!

I love it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2024 at 23:06.
Old 26th January 2024, 21:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would love to have one of these if you could spare one!

The 13 would do very very nicely, as would the more even spaced gears. With the 34 granny gear left intact.
Hey Doc, sorry, I've only got one now, can't really part with it. Really useful in the hills.

Looks like Ensign Sports 96196-79199. Not sure whether active, I've not tried. Post-Covid a lot changed in the cycle components realm in India, as many of us have experienced.

Hope you and others might locate them someplace. If not, the Amazon units might be worth a try. Can get an 8-cog there too, which with a simple shifter upgrade could be of some value.

Meanwhile, we're out in Mizoram again...
Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-100042514101.jpeg
Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior-100042504001.jpeg

-Eric.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 20:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Hey Doc, sorry, I've only got one now, can't really part with it. Really useful in the hills.

-Eric.
No worries! You live in the mountains and need it more.

Called up Ensign Sports today. He's a stockist and directed me to his Poona dealer. Who happened to be my bike mechanic!

There are none in stock online. If at all, they are lying in a long forgotten dusty corner of some dealer somewhere in the country, much like your Aizawl guy.

Oh well. Looks like the excitement was shortlived.

Beautiful scenes bro. Envy you.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks