Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.

This forum of ours is a bit dead off late. So much so that I find myself more on the larger Motorcycles forum, in spite of not riding actively.

Maybe guys are still in the New Year hangover, or silently grinding away full steam, brimming with motivation and fervour for 2022's goals (like me, but the trainer makes for little content or photos).

So a new thread maybe just what the coach ordered.

Show us your favourite cycling socks!

Here are mine

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img_20220204_120954.jpg

The top two are airlines socks (which I have a big stash of). They don't last too long. Some of them get a lot of tangled threads in the machine. The elastic is rudimentary. But they're perfect for hour long indoor sessions and a quick wash.

The red ones are BTwin RoadR specialized cycling socks. Really nice (I have another new pair stashed away as well).

The orange ones are Kalenji running socks. Super cushioned. Bought them when I briefly started running. Gave that up but the socks feel great in the hard boots.

The rest are all Artengo mid, high and short ankle socks that are cotton, which i pick up from Decathlon in packs of 3. Great quality in the fabric as well as the elastic. Do get a bit stiff after a wash. Need to be turned inside out a d back and crushed to soften them out before wearing.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 4th February 2022 at 12:36.
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:07   #2
BHPian

re: Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.

I had ordered these cycling socks from dhgate last year. Two are still unused. Not of spectacular quality or super thin but the plain style looks pro. Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-socks.jpg

Doc, I think we should change the title to "Show us your cycling kit" to include jersey/bibs, gilets, helmets, glasses- the whole shebang. CyclingFashion for BHPians if you will.
itisravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
I had ordered these cycling socks from dhgate last year. Two are still unused. Not of spectacular quality or super thin but the plain style looks pro. Attachment 2268507

Doc, I think we should change the title to "Show us your cycling kit" to include jersey/bibs, gilets, helmets, glasses- the whole shebang. CyclingFashion for BHPians if you will.
They should be nice and slippery apparently so as to not cause hot spots and blisters and not get waterlogged and dry quickly. Therefore even though many cyclists still prefer Cotto, by and large in technical wear synthetics rule and for the long distance guys it's big $€ Merino wool.

I'll start a new thread for Cycling Uppers and another one for Cycling Lowers.

Getting on to the trainer now in a bit.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 4th February 2022 at 19:44.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 09:52   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'll start a new thread for Cycling Uppers and another one for Cycling Lowers.
Title updated, thanks! Please continue the discussion here itself, including for uppers, lowers...
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 10:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Here are my new XC Competition bibs that were recently on Clearance at Decathlon. I think their RRP was 4500 but I managed to snag the last XL remaining at 999.

The XLs were all sold out online. My Decathlon buddy too could not find any in physical stock at any of the stores. I had gone to Decathlon Amanora to pick up a pair of Wayfarer shades (mercury coated orange ) that were again on Clearance (800 for 399 I think) and the last pair remaining. Also to check for my size of the red cycling socks (those were sold out of physical stock in all stores and I managed to get mine online only).

While walking through the cycling section I spotted the neon green piping of these bibs hanging. I thought it must be a S or M because those were the only few pieces left. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was an XL!

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img_20211217_195828.jpg

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img_20211217_195947.jpg

These are my first bibs with straps and am happy that contrary to my dear taking a leak has not been an over-involved logistical contortive exercise. Lol

It's 3/4 length (some of my friends are reluctant to get these away saying they're too girly ... I'm plenty man enough without needing clothing reaffirmation ), the material is mildly water repellent since it's designed for XC competition wear in slushy fields and trails, it's got the blue gel pad like the 3000 buck strapless shorts, and it's also got a slight fleece inner like the long sleeved grey and blue Decathlon road jersey (that too was 3500 which I picked up in Clearance at the time a few years back for 999 - excellent value). This one ...

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img_20211212_093021.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th February 2022 at 10:21.
ebonho is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 00:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Full length woolen socks. From Amazon. 400 bucks for a set of 5 pairs. Really soft, though I have yet to wear them as I just got them today evening, after my morning weekend ride (typical winter kit - long sleeve base layer under a short sleeve summer jersey if it's 10-15 degrees, long full or 3/4 leg bibs). The socks would be nice for really cold nights, or could even do regular duty if soft enough and not over warm. Let's see ... the lenth seems really nice. Should meet the Velominati cide if ending just below the swell of the calves.

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img20220130wa0008.jpg

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img_20220207_000950.jpg

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-img_20220206_103549.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 18:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Anyone using compression socks here? I had a couple of pairs which have been phased out. They are really useful on longer rides. They keep the legs cool and dry. One can maintain higher speeds over longer periods of time and recovery time is much quicker too.

Since I haven't been riding as much as precovid times, I haven't bought another pair in a while now. But that might soon change. Compression socks may be expensive compared to regular sports socks, but the benefits are real.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Anyone using compression socks here?
I have one pair that I got a few years back.

Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-compressionsocks.jpg

I don't use it while riding but after coming back home from a long ride. I wear it for a few hours and they soothe the leg muscles. They are very tall like football socks and somewhat difficult to put on to because of the tightness.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 20:14   #9
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me good cycling bibless shorts for 2 to 3 hour cycling. I searched in Decathlon both online and offline, but strangely all the models have XL size as out of stock. I am a beginner cyclist riding a hybrid and am able to easily ride for 1 to 2 hours without any discomfort felt on my knees or legs but the pain in the bums are just so bad even after adding decathlon memory foam seat covers. Badly in need of good Cycling shorts
Old 22nd February 2022, 21:33   #10
BHPian

Most of my cycling gear is from decathlon. I got the basic blue jersey and the padded undershorts the same time I got the bike. I never use them now. I really like the shorts from Heini. Those are my daily drivers. I wear the bib shorts on weekends for longer rides.

Jerseys:
Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-20220211_221457.jpg

Shorts:
Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-20220211_221540.jpg

Other accessories, mostly for sun protection:
Show us your cycling kit | Jerseys, gilets, glasses etc.-20220211_221753.jpg
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
Most of my cycling gear is from decathlon. I got the basic blue jersey and the padded undershorts the same time I got the bike. I never use them now. I really like the shorts from Heini. Those are my daily drivers. I wear the bib shorts on weekends for longer rides.
Hey can you please provide information regarding the Heini shorts comfort, place of purchase etc. How good are the bibless shorts for 2 to 3 hrs ride? Or should I definitely go for bib shorts for such durations?
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
Hey can you please provide information regarding the Heini shorts
Bib-less shorts dig in to the waist and gets really uncomfortable after 2 hours in to a ride. You feel it most when you remove the shorts and also see those angry red marks on the skin. I wear the bib shorts for rides more than 2, with the longest being 5 hours. I didn’t feel any discomfort for that duration. With both these shorts, if I feel that my sit bones are getting sore, I will ride out of the saddle for a short while and that clears it up. But if are going on longer rides, you might need something better. I have not used shorts from other brands, so can’t offer any comparison.

I ordered both from the main site for Heini: (https://www.heinisports.com/). But I suggest not using that site right now, as their SSL cert is expired. You will have to go to their http version. However, the same products are available in the Cyclop site.

https://www.cyclop.in/products/heini...ing-bib-shorts
and
https://www.cyclop.in/products/heini...cycling-shorts.
dragntailonfire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
Bib-less shorts dig in to the waist and gets really uncomfortable after 2 hours in to a ride. You feel it most when you remove the shorts and also see those angry red marks on the skin.
You might want to check out a few other bib-less shorts (other manufacturers/designs/sizes). Most of my weekly rides are 3-5 hours (including up to 12 hour brevets historically) and I have done all on bib-less shorts. Never got uncomfortable after 2 hour mark nor do I get any red marks on my body. I would see that as a concern - it's my 3rd bib-less shorts over ~10 years of riding and never had them till date.

The rear ends start tiring by the 4th hour but that depends on a lot more factors than just the shorts (IMO) for me.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed