Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 11:06   #1

Looking for a road bike - Polygon vs Trek

Hi,

Looking to buy a new roadbike and after much reviews and considerations, landed on Polygon Strattos S4 and Trek Domane AL3 Disc. Not able to decide which one to go for - Polygon comes with a better groupset of Tiagra but Trek comes with lifetime warranty on frame and generally better brand perception. Polygon looks to be better value for money with Trek being on the expensive side.

For context, I'm looking more for endurance long distance riding. Previously used to ride a Giant TCR Aluminium frame bike with Shimano 105 groupset few years back and loved it. This time Giant seems to be exorbitantly priced with supply chain issues due to covid.

Thoughts?

-Moonis
moonisahmed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:56   #2

re: Looking for a road bike - Polygon vs Trek

Hey Moonis!

I consider myself able to answer this question because until 3 months ago, yours truly was doing extensive research on good road bikes and looked at various options. I ended up choosing a Scott for the same reason as you have mentioned - 'brand perception'. How that turned out to be is a different story altogether.

My two cents on each brand-

Polygon- It's a relatively nascent brand in India but they are pretty damn good. Matter of time before they hike their prices too. Flyin' off the shelves.

Trek- One word: Tough. MTB, roadie, gravel ar selling like hot cakes too. No matter what the price.

My verdict- Go for the Domane. I believe by spending a few thousands more you can have a bike that would give you the liberty to use it as a gravel too. Though it's not gravel specific, it's gravel capable. Plus, you get disc brakes too. Strattos comes equipped with rim. So that's an added advantage.
So if you're willing to step a groupset down and weigh the benefits like disc brakes and a gravel capable bike, go for the Domane.

I have a few more options in mind but I wouldn't want to confuse you further. Been there, done that. However, I'd be happy to share them if you wish.

All the Best!
jai_asnani98 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 23:52   #3

Re: Looking for a road bike - Polygon vs Trek

Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, considering that I'll be keeping the bike for long and most likely upgrade the groupsets once prices go down (atleast in next few years), I too was inclined towards Domane. Atleast, these are the ones currently available in Hyderabad.

What other brands do you suggest?
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:55   #4
BHPian

Believe I saw your post on Cyclops as well. Voted for Domane.
Old 24th April 2022, 21:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonisahmed View Post
What other brands do you suggest?
Check out Marin bikes, especially those built with Chromoly steel. Built like a tank! Equipped with disc brakes too. Nicasio and Four Corners particularly.

Pretty sure it will fit comfortably in your budget and you'll end up saving a whole lotta moolah. Will come in handy when you'd consider upgrading the groupset.

If you're deviating from comfort and start craving speed, or vice versa, I must mention you get good flexibility for different tire sizes too.

Thank me later.
Old 26th April 2022, 08:44   #6
BHPian

If you're going to do long distance and have used the TCR with 105 groupset earlier, then just go for the Polygoj Stratton S5 with 105. They are great bikes, atleast a kilo lighter than the Trek and with 105 it will make a world of difference in long distance riding. Here is Mumbai its available for 1.25 lacs with a Garmin watch worth 20k free. DM me if you want the seller details. He might be able to ship it to HYD

Now the disclosure- I ride a Domane AL3 and 3 months back I would have suggested you to blindly go for the Domane as "Trek is Trek". A co-rider bought a Stratton S5 and I've seen the massive change in his riding, hence the suggestion.
Old 26th April 2022, 09:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonisahmed View Post
Hi,

Looking to buy a new roadbike and after much reviews and considerations, landed on Polygon Strattos S4 and Trek Domane AL3 Disc. Not able to decide which one to go for - Polygon comes with a better groupset of Tiagra but Trek comes with lifetime warranty on frame and generally better brand perception. Polygon looks to be better value for money with Trek being on the expensive side.
Ride and decide. If the dealership isn't offering this option on public roads, try to get him setup an indoor riding trial. Globally Domane is a much better product offering by Trek, tried & tested by many. But in the end, it comes down to what do you prefer.

Imagine this in the context of buying a car - would you buy a Hyundai over a Toyota (take any two brands that feel right for you) just because it offers more accessories and features?
Old 26th April 2022, 11:01   #8
BHPian

Another suggestion if you can ride the bikes on a trainer at a store please do that. This way you can also get to test out the geometry and get a feel of the weight difference. Also upgrading your group set will be many many years down the line. My current bike is 10 years old with a tiagra group set and it still works perfectly. So my next upgrade will be an entirely new bike. If you have the money in a few years time invest in a carbon wheel set it makes a huge difference (i did this at the 7 year mark and I am happy to keep it as long as i can as long as the group set holds up)
nissar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 20:13   #9

Thank you all for the suggestions. After checking out Polygon, Scott, Giant and Trek, landed on Trek due to the brand value, overall fit as per my riding requirements and cycling feel.

Happy to get on the saddle again after 8 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a road bike - Polygon vs Trek-trek1.jpg  

moonisahmed is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks