Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Riding a bicycle after 14 years

Hey Folks! It is good to be posting on something different this time!

I have been meaning to pick something up as a proper hobby that I can sustain interest in especially after the lock-downs. Two things stood out and the one on top was cycling. I have owned 3 cycles in my life. A Hercules MTB, and a Hero Atlas were my primary mode of transport during high school times. I used to go to school, additional classes, general shopping in those.

Then came college, Grad school and back in 2008, I got another Hercules MTB after a gap of 10years. At that time I had no idea why, but there was severe pain within the first 2 days itself after I tried riding it. Tailbone/seat area, knees... it was unbearable. I gave up in a week's time.

Fast forward to 2 weeks back - I decided that I need a healthy hobby, one that can get me out of bed at 5am and can help move me back to being fit. Thus started hours of research online, esp. here on TeamBHP, GCN and few other reputed channels. And I took the plunge.

I just got a Riverside 500 from the nearby Decathlon store yesterday. I tried to use the knowledge from my research and set my saddle height close to 94cm (I am 183cm tall with 87cm inner seam length), to get a straight leg with heel on pedal and slightly bend profile on the leg with the front of my feet on pedal. I had gotten a slightly wider, thicker seat for the initial (my body's) break-in period, which also meant I didn't go for any specialized apparel as well. I couldn't adjust anything on reach, unfortunately, at least not yet. I am a bit on the heavier side, so increased the tyre pressures and was good to go.

I was very, very (extremely) apprehensive initially but I drove around in my gated community transit path for close to 40mins with my sons and to my surprise, it felt just fine. Yes, there was some mild discomfort while on the seat but nothing remotely close to the pain I had a decade or so back. Legs were feeling very comfortable though my wife keeps saying that the seat is too high.

I took it sort of gentle yesterday, moving through gears (first time riding on a geared bicycle), getting used to cadences and speed differences. There was however one major issue. It felt like my palms and wrists were taking a beating. This cycle doesn't have the upturned horns of an MTB and so my thought was I was overreaching, since the saddle was set just fine, which caused me to put too much weight on my hands. I even thought, at one point, that maybe it was the ergonomic handle grips that were causing it.

This morning, I did a 5.55km sedate ride on the inner roads, with some traffic, in 24mins. First sustained drive on a cycle in 14years! Felt fine after this ride too, except for the stress on the palm, wrist and now aching in a dull way all the way to the triceps, and somewhere between the delts and lats. I am going to see if an extension for the stem can fix the problem.

In time, say a few months, I do hope to commute to my workplace which is some 16kms away at least once or twice a week or even better, take longer trips over the ECR over the weekends! *fingers crossed*Would love to get any feedback from the veterans here on how I can do better.

Suggestions on bike fit experts, training programs in Chennai too are welcome!) and what are some must have apps, accessories for an absolute beginner like me to semi-serious cycling (I was absolutely missing the rear view mirrors and more importantly, a nice, big klaxon horn ) .
asmr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 12:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Riding a bicycle after 14 years

Welcome to the world of cycling.

The Riverside 500 is a pretty nice bike an does a good job of getting you around. However, I suggest that you get a good bike fit at on of the professional shops. Bangalore and Hyderabad have good shops. I am sure Chennai will have comparable ones too. Also invest in proper riding gear. Padded shorts and gloves help a lot. Most importantly, I hope you have bought a bike of the right size.

As for accessories, good front and rear lights (NiteRider is my preferred brand) are mandatory. Hope you have already got a helmet.

Another thing, before you ride, for an hour or so, stretch. Lots of exercises and techniques are available online (YouTube, etc). After your ride, again stretch. This will help you a lot and reduce the risk of injuries.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Welcome to the world of cycling.

... This will help you a lot and reduce the risk of injuries.
Thank you very much for the response!

The accessories are going to come in one by one but yes, I do plan on purchasing a good set of riding apparel. Just been 2 days and I have been getting by with my gym clothes (finally getting some use after 2 years!).

For my height of 183cm the RS500 had the L sized frame that was recommended. Have done the basic fit myself. I haven't come across any place or person in Chennai who does a professional bike fit. Have to ask around in my circles.
asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:20   #4
BHPian

Quick question for people here. For my Riverside 500, I am trying to see if I can add those curved, bull horn type handlebar fixtures that were standard in MTBs of old (think Hercules cycle MTB old!). I find that I could use a slightly upright riding position when riding on clear roads and the current handlebar doesn't allow me to change positions other than holding it with 4 outstretched fingers .

Any guidance on if and where I can get a pair of those?
Old 21st September 2022, 21:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Quick question for people here. For my Riverside 500, I am trying to see if I can add those curved, bull horn type handlebar fixtures that were standard in MTBs of old (think Hercules cycle MTB old!).
Any guidance on if and where I can get a pair of those?
Amazon? If I'm not mistaken this is what you mean. There is also a bullhorn type handlebar but that replaces your current handlebar in its entirety. The ones below are just add ons. I recall seeing something like that on Decathlon website too but I don't see it now. If deca sell it, I'll 100% buy from them instead of Amazon stuff.

https://www.amazon.in/IndiaLot%C2%AE...dp/B094G95X85/

Last edited by amol4184 : 21st September 2022 at 21:35.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 07:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Amazon? If I'm not mistaken this is what you mean. There is also a bullhorn type handlebar but that replaces your current handlebar in its entirety. The ones below are just add ons. I recall seeing something like that on Decathlon website too but I don't see it now. If deca sell it, I'll 100% buy from them instead of Amazon stuff.

https://www.amazon.in/IndiaLot%C2%AE...dp/B094G95X85/
Yeah that's what I wanted, the addon. Not the full replacement. It's called a claw bar, is it? I didn't know that!

Thanks. Will explore Decathlon site too. I was in Decathlon even this weekend, but I forgot to ask the folks there and I didn't see this one as a spare. Will check again.
Old 26th September 2022, 13:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Will explore Decathlon site too. I was in Decathlon even this weekend, but I forgot to ask the folks there and I didn't see this one as a spare. Will check again.
What you are look for is a bar end. The one in Decathlon is this one 3 position long bar end

However, better option would be get a Ergo grip like the Ergon GP3, GP4 or GP5, with the flat palm rest in the grip. That small flat part in the grip makes a huge difference while doing long rides. IMHO, you don't need a full C type bar end, unless you want to really ride sitting straight. Just a small Bar end to change your hand position is enough. Something akin to the GP3 or GP4, that I've mentioned above.

There are a few knock-offs in amazon too.

pekdi-Shockproof-Ergonomic-Non-Slip-Handlebar

LIGHTER-HOUSE-Mountain-Bicycle-Handlebar - This might be cheaper, but the metal part might slip in sweaty hands.
Junaid42465 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks