Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18859-article-how-buy-used-car-india-44.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboGuru (Post 3914418)
Guys need your help in buying used car in Bangalore.

Is big cabin space very important for you? And boot space?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift_guy (Post 3914449)
Is big cabin space very important for you? And boot space?

Boot space not very critical, cabin space may be as am 6' medium built.
What could be other suggest?
A big no to maruti and Hyundai.
VW polo un reliable, heavy maintenance?
Toyota etios, too flimsy. I know that they scored 4 star in crash test but still doubt full.
please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboGuru (Post 3914418)
Guys need your help in buying used car in Bangalore. My driving need on week day is roughly 30 km within city limits, on week end it is very erratic, starting from 0 km - 500+ km :Frustrati . initially was bitten by Fiat bug, have driven my friend's Punto Diesel and love the way she drives but could not find a good deal.

How would be Nissan Micra XV (Petrol), 2012 make, 35k driven for 3.5L. Any other suggestion on 3 to 4 years old 30K to 40K driven in 3 to 4 lakh bracket.

You may check out Ford Figo. I guess this may be ideal for you if you have liked the driving dynamics of Punto. Also, you will not get a diesel in your price range. I feel other car won't impress you, if you want a drivers car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboGuru (Post 3914517)
Boot space not very critical, cabin space may be as am 6' medium built.
What could be other suggest?
A big no to maruti and Hyundai.
VW polo un reliable, heavy maintenance?
Toyota etios, too flimsy. I know that they scored 4 star in crash test but still doubt full.
please:

No Maruti. No Hyundai. No VW. No Skoda (not reliable). No Toyota. :D

Leaves you with Ford, Tata, Fiat, Chevy, Nissan/Renault and Honda. You can check out used Manza, Beat, Punto, Brio, Micra and Figo. All the 6 cars above are good at some places and not so good at some places. Check out the used car market and search for what all is available out of these 5.

Beat is cramped at rear (and boot) but you may get a diesel, which is not as fun to drive but will save you a lot on fuel bills. Punto will need high maintenance, resale is also a question mark. Figo is also a good car, with decent space, looks (pre facelift) and handling. Since boot space isn't critical for you, Brio offers decent (more than decent actually) fun on the move and has brilliant cabin space packaging. For a car so compact from outside, you will be surprised to see the cabin space on offer. You have filtered most good brands, else I would have suggested Ritz.

Polo has somewhat equal maintenance as other cars in the long run but petrol 1.2 would be far from fun to drive. Brio would be your best bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift_guy (Post 3914701)
No Maruti. No Hyundai. No VW. No Skoda (not reliable). No Toyota. :D

Leaves you with Ford, Tata, Fiat, Chevy, Nissan/Renault and Honda. You can check out used Manza, Beat, Punto, Brio, Micra and Figo. All the 6 cars above are good at some places and not so good at some places. Check out the used car market and search for what all is available out of these 5.

Beat is cramped at rear (and boot) but you may get a diesel, which is not as fun to drive but will save you a lot on fuel bills. Punto will need high maintenance, resale is also a question mark. Figo is also a good car, with decent space, looks (pre facelift) and handling. Since boot space isn't critical for you, Brio offers decent (more than decent actually) fun on the move and has brilliant cabin space packaging. For a car so compact from outside, you will be surprised to see the cabin space on offer. You have filtered most good brands, else I would have suggested Ritz.

Polo has somewhat equal maintenance as other cars in the long run but petrol 1.2 would be far from fun to drive. Brio would be your best bet.

Thank you Swift Guy, another Figo already at home so do not want twins in garage stupid: . Ritz is unlike other Maruti cars, nice build and decent driving pleasure, so, might consider this and Brio also looks good option.
:OT I see lot of Ritz with low mileage 5k to 10k KM on sale, would you happen to know why ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboGuru (Post 3914728)
OT I see lot of Ritz with low mileage 5k to 10k KM on sale, would you happen to know why ?

Most (>50%) cars in used markets have their odometers tampered. Best way to check reading is service records (intervals and kms consistency) and other details like alignment bills, etc.. If the car you are inspecting is less than 30k kms on the odometer, it makes the job a bit easier. An average joe would be running his car on stock tyres. Look at the manufacturing date on stock tyres and confirm from online reviews the brand of tyres which the OEM was giving for that model year. The tread should also match as stock tyres would last for around 30-32k kms. If not, walk away!

5k to 10k km reading is low for even a 2 year old vehicle. Ask for a strong reason why the car wasn't used much or used regularly. Eg. A person whose office is 40km from home and has only one car will definitely clock 12k kms in an year. OTOH, one with 2 or 3 cars at home will clock less in an year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 3913997)
Apart from Honda City, you can check out Toyota Corolla and Renault Fluence as well.
Regards,
KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift_guy (Post 3914014)
But truth is that 3rd gen City doesn't have a true competitor and will come out as the perfect car everytime. You can search below (Etios) and above (Civic) but nothing matches the City at that price.

I've finalized on a 3rd Gen Honda City :). Below are details: (Also added pics)
2009 Honda City I-VTEC SMT Black
2nd owner (bought only a month ago for his father, who found it too big and wants an AMT now).
35,000 KMs
Recent service is done in last month
No dents or major scratches
Clean interiors and Leather Seat Covers from Honda
Brand new set of Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres with invoice
New Battery
Approved Sun film on all windows

Next steps: Going to Honda dealer to check service history
Please let me know if I need to be particular about anything.
Thanks for your help!

-Baagi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baagi (Post 3915361)
I've finalized on a 3rd Gen Honda City :). Below are details: (Also added pics)

2009 Honda City I-VTEC SMT Black

2nd owner (bought only a month ago for his father, who found it too big and wants an AMT now).

35,000 KMs

Recent service is done in last month

No dents or major scratches

Clean interiors and Leather Seat Covers from Honda

Brand new set of Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres with invoice

New Battery

Approved Sun film on all windows

Thanks for your help!

-Baagi

Congrats Baagi. Car looks cool. Aside checking the service history from Honda, get the car checked by any FNG for any problems which we may not be able to find out. They generally check the overall condition, suspension and highlight any work which you may have to do after buying. This would help you to have an idea of the possible expenditure on the car. He may charge around 500 for this inspection.

Also check the bonnet area, boot area and the doors for any signs of rust.

Regards.
KK

Quote:

I've finalized on a 3rd Gen Honda City
Thanks for your help!

-Baagi

Condition looks nice from the pics. Considering that this is a pretty old 2009 model and you will be the third owner, I think 4.8-5 Lac should be a fair price.

Get the service history and check for any insurance/warranty claims. The yearly running should be around 4-6k km between every service, check that. Perform a thorough test drive on the highway, city, rough road, potholes, inclines, etc. and IIRC there was a handbrake trick to check the front suspension. Engage handbrake, start the car, move forward in first and something like that, it depends on the action of the front suspension at that moment. If you are really 99% sure of getting the car, ask the service centre guys/FNG to check for any problems or accidental damage. They have a very keen eye (as this is their daily work) and will find out problems much better than others.

You can negotiate on the front that the car is already 7 years old, petrol car, second owner, point out every visual defect you can find and smallest of the vibrations/issues encountered during the drive. Convince the owner that kms clocked don't matter but model year does. Start from a decently low price like 4.75 Lac (not extremely low, that the owner refuses outright) and increase 7-12k at once. Cash on table approach also helps. Negotiation works wonders if done the right way. All the best. :)

BTW, did I mention that the car looks great in black!?

I've went to Whitefield Honda, and the rep there was kind enough to go through the history without the car owner present. There were no body repairs done till now (at least in a Honda service center). Only regular services were done till now.
I'm paying token amount for blocking it. Since my wife liked it a lot, we agreed to 5.25 lakhs, incl. registration and transfer process.

Now there is an App from Honda called "Honda Connect", where you can get all (at least 2 years) service invoices if you know the Engine and Chassis number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 3915414)
Congrats Baagi. Car looks cool. Aside checking the service history from Honda, get the car checked by any FNG for any problems which we may not be able to find out.
Also check the bonnet area, boot area and the doors for any signs of rust.

Thank you! I will do a thorough check next time I see the car.
Do not know any mechanics personally in Bangalore. (FNG??) I will try to find out and go through the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift_guy (Post 3915432)
The yearly running should be around 4-6k km between every service, check that. IIRC there was a handbrake trick to check the front suspension.
All the best. :)

Great point. I will check the average yearly running. I will google about the handbrake trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift_guy (Post 3915432)
BTW, did I mention that the car looks great in black!?

agree::thumbs up

Regards,
Baagi

Quote:

Thanks for your help!

-Baagi

Is it accident free car ? Did you check by pulling down the rubber beading on the door frame? Check for the welding spots on the door frame, bonnet door , boot door. Did you inspect the underbody for any damages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baagi (Post 3915646)
I've went to Whitefield Honda, and the rep there was kind enough to go through the history without the car owner present. There were no body repairs done till now (at least in a Honda service center). Only regular services were done till now.

Minor bodywork is nothing to worry about. In 5+ years, atleast some minor denting/painting would have been needed to keep the car in such neat condition. Major accidental damage is a bad thing. But since you have confirmed that there was no major repair from HASS, it is highly unlikely that the first owner got it repaired from an outside garage. Still, you can check in your next visit.

Quote:

Since my wife liked it a lot, we agreed to 5.25 lakhs, incl. registration and transfer process.
Hmm.. the price is a bit steep. But you are getting a clean car and when compared to Vento for 5.6, this makes a lot of sense. Congrats.

Quote:

FNG??
FNG = Friendly neighbourhood garage. You can check with BHPians from your area if they have any contacts with mechanics. Approaching them without any previous interaction will result in unnecessary rip off.

Quote:

I will google about the handbrake trick.
IIRC, it was to check a component of front (and maybe rear also) suspension. Move the car in 1st cog (with a heavy foot), with handbrake fully engaged and as the front portion rises to the max., depress the clutch. It was something like if the front comes back to original position at once, suspension is fine. It should not bounce or shake 2/3 times, and car should not move horizontally during this. Same thing for the rear, in reverse gear.

And I hope you would have read about buying basics given in initial pages of the thread.

Oh, just noticed it has a shark fin antenna also! :thumbs up

Hey guys planning to check out a 2006 Hyundai Getz GLE with 68000 kms. Any tips that will come in handy while checking out a car like this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead16 (Post 3916306)
Hey guys planning to check out a 2006 Hyundai Getz GLE with 68000 kms. Any tips that will come in handy while checking out a car like this?

Any specific reason you want to go for Getz, since there are lots of newer cars available in the used car marked and what are your priorities?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 3916327)
Any specific reason you want to go for Getz, since there are lots of newer cars available in the used car marked and what are your priorities?

No particular reason. Since its a friend's dad's car I'm getting it for what can be called a throwaway price. Not really keen on getting it right now, but lets see after the test drive this weekend. BTW he is asking 1.2 for it and considering its condition, I would say its a fair price.