Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2006, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Best audio system with IPOD compatibility

Looking for an audio system with ipod compatibility within 12K-15K for ford fiesta. Also suggest matching speakers. Please help guys as not able to find much ipod compatible system from ford dealers
Old 25th January 2006, 09:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashd
Looking for an audio system with ipod compatibility within 12K-15K for ford fiesta. Also suggest matching speakers. Please help guys as not able to find much ipod compatible system from ford dealers
Almost all manufacturers have Ipod capability.

at 15K (+ 7K for the ipod connector) I got my father in law a Alpine 9847.
at 9K (+6K for the ipod connector) you can get a Blaupunkt

We (my FIL and I) heard both and both using JBL 636 speakers in a Swift of us prefered the Alpine to the Blau. Funny the dealer was leaning towards the Blaupunkt!

Remember that when you are looking at a ipod capable HU it must have a high resolution multicharacter display. Neither HU mentioned above has this but more expensive models from both manufacters do.

An Ipod can store a huge library of songs and seaching through this can be painfl. I do see the latest generation of Alpines and Pioneers (still not available in India) having better search features for this purpose. BTW Chevy Aveo (US edition) has an ipod connctor built directly into the OEM stereo.

Given the requirements of a larger, and higher resolution display I see a few manfacturers releasing 2 DIN verions of their HUs so allow for the larger display.

Beyond this a Harman Kardon iDrive can be got for 15K but this is only an ipod connector. Your HU is extra.
Old 26th January 2006, 19:43   #3
BHPian

hello navin

i got myself an ipod connector from pioneer along with the pioneer 080-mp from ny city.

i feel connecting an ipod has more to do with not having to change mp3 cd's frequently( if you can call that, because 1 mp3 cd with approx 130 songs can easily be played for a week or 2 atleast). so the connector i bought for 120 usd allows me store 900-1000 hq songs in my car and i can easily keep flipping through the huge collection. i personally dont think having a display for the ipod is quite necessary. in fact, if i were to have a searchable interface for my ipod, i would spend more time searching for music than concentrating on my driving. with the current configuration i have, i just aimlessly keep flipping through till i find a song that matches my mood.

just a thought, mercs and beemers though already come with ipod connectivity. i hope it wont be long before we have some universal connectivity of sorts wherein we can plug in any external device to any hu.

regards
anuj
Old 26th January 2006, 21:32   #4
BHPian

I heard that with a receiver attached to ipod the songs can be accessed through FM channels . is this true. if so then what king of accessories are required.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard

just a thought, mercs and beemers though already come with ipod connectivity. i hope it wont be long before we have some universal connectivity of sorts wherein we can plug in any external device to any hu.
Why merc and beemers. Even the US Chevy Aveo OEM system has one. :-)

I love my ipod. it allows me to carry about 300 artsits, 650 albums, 8500 songs in a reasonably high quality format (this has been discussed on a different thread). Now I can decide in the elevator which album I intend listening to.

You see I never used MP3 till the ipod came along. I used to have choose from 650 CDs before I left my apt evreytime I wanted to listen to music in the car. Now with my ipod I can do this anywhere.

It works for conservative guys like me since we our listening preferences are album oriented meaning that we listen to an album at a time not a mix.

I have still to come expereince a HU with a interface that compete with the ipod. I am told the latest generation of HU from Alpine do this. The trick I use now is to cue up the Artist/Album I intend to listen to using the ipod then use the HU's controls to go back or forth withing that artist or album.

Ipod does not allow nested playlists. It it did one could make searching though 300 artists and 650 albums would be a lot simpler.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I heard that with a receiver attached to ipod the songs can be accessed through FM channels . is this true. if so then what king of accessories are required.
FM adapters have a limited use.
Old 27th January 2006, 19:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
You need to get yourself a podcaster to transmit on FM frequency..
Old 28th January 2006, 00:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

nah i think he's talking about stuff like the iTrip.
Old 28th January 2006, 05:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
See my posts here and there and elsewhere...
Old 28th January 2006, 23:08   #10
BHPian

Good information MSprabhakar. Where can I get belkin tunecast II in India. After using this device can I still access FM radio ?
Old 29th January 2006, 15:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Good information MSprabhakar. Where can I get belkin tunecast II in India. After using this device can I still access FM radio ?
Don't know where in India (I bought in Kuala Lumpur), but try at Haji Ali (Mumbai) and be prepared to bargain...

Yes, reception of your city FM stations won't be affected at all...
Old 30th January 2006, 13:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Monster cable has a similar product. I think the JBL store at crossroads may have it.
Old 2nd February 2006, 15:12   #13
BHPian

I came across a similar product name AIRPLAY 2. Any experiences with this product ?

Last edited by kashd : 2nd February 2006 at 15:14.
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

here goes...list of all the in car ipod porducts...compare them and choose one that suits you. ilounge as ratings too.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/acc...s/product/C89/
Old 5th February 2006, 22:42   #15
BHPian

Thanks Navin. Thats a great link. I think i will go for Griffin transmeters to start with. They come cheap at Rs 1900/- . My only concern is whether there will be static problems while playing ipod through FM transmeters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks