Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 08:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying ICE from the US?

Hi Everyone!

I have a relative of mine whose returning from the US and has volunteered to bring me some stuff! Naturally, ICE would be my priority.

A friend of mine suggested me to obtain rockfordforsgate amps (4-channel & monoblock) and speakers / sub.

I'm abit skeptical as I've already got an ICE setup which is described as below:

HU: Pioneer AVH3250 DVD - Not considering an upgrade
Amp: Hertz EP-5 (4 channel with monoblock)
Speakers: Hertz DSK-165 components
Sub: Pioneer: TS-WX303
The cabling is on JBL

Would you suggest an upgrade, in the first place? The sound quality does seem decent and so is the build quality of every component. Unless a huge difference can be found, I personally dont feel like an upgrade.

What do the bhpian experts suggest?

If an upgrade is recommended, which AMP/speakers/sub would you recommend?
I did do a research on most products and funny enough, the specs seem identical for all the products of the same class. Hence the confusion.

My relative usually orders from amazon.com as there are special offers. Would these be genuine products? Its strange to find some products sold as a much less than the MSRP. Are there any caveats to look for when shopping from amazon.com? or would you suggest buying directly from the dealer?

My budget is about USD$ 1500 max.

Please post your genuine and valuable suggestions as I've to inform my relative accordingly.

Nitin
Old 15th May 2011, 15:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE from the US

The only thing you could / should change is the sub. Get a better sub, but check first if they will be able to get it with them - it is likely to be bulky (weight and volume).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The only thing you could / should change is the sub. Get a better sub, but check first if they will be able to get it with them - it is likely to be bulky (weight and volume).

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, they'd definitely bring the sub. Is my current setup good enough? I'm asking because a couple of my friends suggested me to go for Rockford Fosgate setup. Would you think there would be a significant difference if I went for some other brands? This even applied to the speakers.

Please rate my current setup and let me know.

Other Bhpians.... am awaiting your suggestions...

Nitin
Old 15th May 2011, 22:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Anyone else other than you saying some other pair of speakers could be better would be highly subjective. Listen to other brands and let your ears decide. Definitely something twice the price is likely to be a better component than the DSK, but not because of the price. It is the sound signature that should matter to you, and price or specs is not an indicator of that. If you are not able to get an audition from the dealers, get together with other Bangalore TBHPians and listen to their systems.

I suggested changing the sub because other subs are much tighter than the Pio sub.
Old 15th May 2011, 22:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get some damping for your doors and boot, if you have not done it already.

Why not components for a Car PC ?
Old 16th May 2011, 09:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The only thing you could / should change is the sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Yes, they'd definitely bring the sub.
I would not ask for a subwoofer as my experience with importing woofers is that they can get easily damaged by the voice coils getting knocked out of alignment. If the shipment is large enough where they cannot man-handle it then you are ok but for small shipments (1-2 woofers) you have to be careful (in packing) and lucky.

The EP-5 is a nice amp but a seperate monoblock and 4 channel amp would be more effective. You could just ask for a monoblock and continue to use the EP-5 as a 4 channel amp.

Last edited by navin : 16th May 2011 at 09:59.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 10:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would not ask for a subwoofer as my experience with importing woofers is that they can get easily damaged by the voice coils getting knocked out of alignment. If the shipment is large enough where they cannot man-handle it then you are ok but for small shipments (1-2 woofers) you have to be careful (in packing) and lucky.

The EP-5 is a nice amp but a seperate monoblock and 4 channel amp would be more effective. You could just ask for a monoblock and continue to use the EP-5 as a 4 channel amp.
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the valuable suggestions.

Dynamat is definitely in my list. I'm also considering a sub. Please recommend which sub to buy, Pioneer, Polk or Rockford fosgate etc?
The EP-5 has a 4-channel amp and a separate mono amp for the sub, so its as good as a separate monoblock.

Nitin.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post

Please recommend which sub to buy, Pioneer, Polk or Rockford fosgate etc?
The EP-5 has a 4-channel amp and a separate mono amp for the sub.
Between those three I'd look at Polk or RF.

THe EP-5 does have 5 channels in one chassis and is a compact one box solution but all these 5 channels share one power supply and when there is a bass peak the bass channel will rob the other channels of power as the power supply has been designed to average power across all channels.

This is true of almost all such 5 channel amplifiers. 5 channel amplifiers provide a compact one box solution for moderate installs but if you are going to upgrade this to a true SPL/SQL system then a monoblock will do a better job and free up the EP-5's power supply for the other 4 channels.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Re: Buying ICE from the US?

I think the current setup is pretty nice.
If you want the boom boom factor, add a Rockford loaded enclosure. That should od the trick
Old 16th May 2011, 19:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
I think the current setup is pretty nice.
If you want the boom boom factor, add a Rockford loaded enclosure. That should od the trick

If you take a look at the specs of the Rockford fosgate sub and the pioneer sub, the pioneer sub seems to have better sensitivity: Rockford Fosgate® - P1S4-12 and

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Champion+Series+PRO/TS-W3002D2|D4

Dont you think the pioneer would be better as its more sensitive? Enlighten me if ignorant.

Nitin
Old 17th May 2011, 18:50   #11
BHPian

Dude!
The pioneer sub costs twice as much as the RF sub. It has to be better.
Again sensitivity is one of the criteria for a solid woofer but if you ask me I would say that the single most deciding factor is enclosure. So get a loaded enclosure.
If you are looking for a 12" one. take a look at these
Rockford Fosgate P3L-1X12 (09p3l1x12) 1000W Max, Single 12" Punch
Rockford Fosgate P3-1X12 (P31X12) 12" Punch P3 Loaded Subwoofer Box
Kicker 10VCVR124 Single 12" Ported Comp VR Loaded Subwoofer
Old 17th May 2011, 22:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Dude!
The pioneer sub costs twice as much as the RF sub. It has to be better.
Again sensitivity is one of the criteria for a solid woofer but if you ask me I would say that the single most deciding factor is enclosure. So get a loaded enclosure.
If you are looking for a 12" one. take a look at these
Rockford Fosgate P3L-1X12 (09p3l1x12) 1000W Max, Single 12" Punch
Rockford Fosgate P3-1X12 (P31X12) 12" Punch P3 Loaded Subwoofer Box
Kicker 10VCVR124 Single 12" Ported Comp VR Loaded Subwoofer

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. What about buying a subwoofer driver alone and installing it in a box that's available from India (the ICE shops)? What would be the difference? This way, I could save some baggage weight. The sensitivity of these woofers are 85db whereas my current pioneer woofer is 95db, so dont you think I would get lesser volume/sound at the same given level?

regards,

Nitin
Old 18th May 2011, 10:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

LOL That's what we were assuming all this time - getting a subwoofer without a box, and getting the box made here!

Sensitivity is *one* of the factors in deciding upon a sub. The others are in the Thiele-Small parameters (which govern the type of box), as well as listening experience (of course, if it is not available for an audition, one has to take a chance). Which would you prefer - a sub with 85dB sensitivity which plays loud enough but really tight (notes appear exactly the way they were meant to sound), or one with 95dB sensitivity but is boomy and goes whoommm-whoommm?

Do check out how different subs sound by auditioning setups in different cars - get together with other BLR TBHPians. Or talk to installers like Satya (EVO, @blueraven316), Thouqueer (Autofusion, @thouqueer), Anwar etc. when they are installing/tuning ICE systems.

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th May 2011 at 10:09.
Old 18th May 2011, 22:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

@DerAlte, if you take a look at the post by Ohh!Oxygen and the links posted those subs are with enclosures, hence I'd asked the question.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Hey Nitin
Look at the owner manual for box recommendations from RF.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...s-MAN_Rev2.pdf

DerAlte told the right fact. All these installers consider themselves smarter than the manufacturers. What they do best is let you hear a setup and make up your mind in an hours time.

So if you buy a component sub woofer and approach them to make a box. They will bring out the one that just fits the woofer size. Forget about manufacturer recommendation and all that jazz.
If you insist on creating a box exactly as per the specs in the guide, they will give some lame excuses.
e.g. "Sir yeah best hei" , " Aap jeisa gaana sunte hei uske liye optimum hei", "Bahar jeisa MDF milta hei, uske hisaab se yeah thik hei, India mein alag cheez milti hei"
Even if you insist and pay extra $ and get it done. I am pretty sure the workmanship you get with the top installers is far away from what you get in a sub with enclosures. So if you have luggage space then go for it.
To make it even simpler for you its your choice to buy a branded PC or an assembled one.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed